Home General Discussion

Krita Kickstarter 2015 is running now!

Wolthera
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Wolthera polycounter lvl 5
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwY7fTSq-0[/ame]

Lowdown: 20.000 euro for performance and animation is the goal.
Every extra 1500 euro fits a stretchgoal. Every back who donated more than 15 euro can vote on which stretch goal gets in.

Kickstarter is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krita/krita-free-paint-app-lets-make-it-faster-than-phot

If you've never used Krita, feel free to come and try it: https://krita.org/
Krita is a free open source painting program, that has extensive colour management support, with both the famous need for CMYK covered, as well as supporting floating point and HDR painting.

Other than that we have an awesome set of brush-engines, a very versatile layer-stack that supports non-destructive operations in the shape of filter-layers, transparency masks and transform masks.

And in a few days 2.9.4 will be released, which holds the first version of layer style support.

Also, we have wraparound mode.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ICGks0-InQ[/ame]

Anyway, please support us and spread the word!

Replies

• frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Just to clarify something.

"Make Krita really fast on big canvases with big brushes"

1.Is this the sole goal of the performance improvement process or will you work on performance with say multiple layers, filters etc?

2.Will you be working on improving the performance and general experience on Windows as at least a 'subtask' of the general optimization process?

I'm really looking at Krita as a replacement of Photoshop for texturing or rather something of a texture assembly program as texturing can be offloaded to Substance Designer or other app nowadays.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl wrote: »
    Just to clarify something.

"Make Krita really fast on big canvases with big brushes"

1.Is this the sole goal of the performance improvement process or will you work on performance with say multiple layers, filters etc?
    It's a specific technology that we hope to implement. Right now, in Krita all the editing is done on the original canvas which is then resized. With LOD strokes(the official name of the project) we'll first compute the preview on the image you see(often resized in case of large canvasses), and then on the actual canvas, giving you much faster feedback.

This means primarily you'll see faster strokes, but other things that can be computed on the preview will benefit too, like for example filter-previews.

There's also a bug with using tablets with filter-layers(mouse movement+filter layers has a normal speed) that I am going to look into personally as part of my GSoC.

EDIT: More tech-talk here: http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/krita-launches-second-kickstarter-campaign-to-fund-development
    2.Will you be working on improving the performance and general experience on Windows as at least a 'subtask' of the general optimization process?
    No, we're already doing that for free. ;) 2.9.4 will, alongside the early version of layer styles, include faster layer handling, faster icon loading(which is a big bottleneck on windows), and some other improvements. I don't recall if it was this or the next version that will have improved resource loading, but that's coming up as well.

We're also trying to figure out how to improve our windows build process, because then we can teach that to people and also let them profile on windows, which gives the most accurate and informative results when you build yourself.
    The issue is not so much that we're short on manpower or money as much as that there's so many configurations for windows that we're somewhat in the dark on why certain devices have so many issues with Krita.
    I'm really looking at Krita as a replacement of Photoshop for texturing or rather something of a texture assembly program as texturing can be offloaded to Substance Designer or other app nowadays.
    Yes, I figured that's the primary need of many polycounters, hence why I showed off the wrap around mode.
  • boudewijnrempt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boudewijnrempt polycounter lvl 5
    Yes, optimized resource loading is also in the 2.9.4 release (which comes out on Wednesday, but you can download it already, I made the builds this weekend). Krita now starts much faster, especially on windows. And transform masks are much faster, too!
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Thanks for the answers, I'll definitely back this.

2.9.4 definitely starts faster.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    This is great news. Krita has been a valuable part of my workflow for awhile now, and I highly recommend every one give it a spin. Sometimes to help adoption, the PS keymap can help.

Krita makes a good external editor to link directly up to 3D Coat as well, which treats it in the usual GoZ (zbrush) fashion.

For creating good tilable textures from photos, would really love to see some advancements in something similar to the PS heal brush.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    This is great news. Krita has been a valuable part of my workflow for awhile now, and I highly recommend every one give it a spin. Sometimes to help adoption, the PS keymap can help.

Krita makes a good external editor to link directly up to 3D Coat as well, which treats it in the usual GoZ (zbrush) fashion.

For creating good tilable textures from photos, would really love to see some advancements in something similar to the PS heal brush.

I think we already have that... We have a seperate clone brush engine, where there's a tick box called 'heal'. https://userbase.kde.org/Krita/Manual/BrushEngines/CloneBrush

I never used those types of tools much(being a painter primarily) so it hadn't occured to me to put it in the spotlight :)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolthera wrote: »
    I think we already have that... We have a seperate clone brush engine, where there's a tick box called 'heal'. https://userbase.kde.org/Krita/Manual/BrushEngines/CloneBrush

I never used those types of tools much(being a painter primarily) so it hadn't occured to me to put it in the spotlight :)

Good stuff, I could never find it in Krita. Looks like its actually a brush rather than a mode. Throws you off a bit. I'll have to play around with that a bit more, might be worth looking at potentially stream lining that particular process into a option into the tool panel to the left as well.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff, I could never find it in Krita. Looks like its actually a brush rather than a mode. Throws you off a bit. I'll have to play around with that a bit more, might be worth looking at potentially stream lining that particular process into a option into the tool panel to the left as well.

Well, the nice thing about having it this way is that you can just straight away make a preset out of it.

Similarly with the filter brush :)

Getting it into the tool options or the like is a bit of a usability problem we're thinking really hard about how to solve, because you need to identify which elements are important, how to order them for the right amount of hit-area as well as presenting them to the user logically. It's something we want to design carefully to make sure everything's consistent and the user won't be confused by it.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Backed. Good luck guys :)
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Backed. Good luck guys :)
    You and many others, we hit 7000 already! Hopefully this'll mean we can hit some stretchgoals!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Retina support? puhleeze? I'd totally get my wallet for that
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Retina support? puhleeze? I'd totally get my wallet for that
    We're already looking into that, it's part of the QT5 port that is already underway and will be in Krita 3.1(which what this kickstarter is for as well on the 'features' side).

That said, you will lessen our burden by donating and making sure we have enough money to spend more time developing and less time worrying ;)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    awesome! well, seems like I have to find my wallet :)
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    awesome! well, seems like I have to find my wallet :)
    Thanks! You're helping it get to 50% already :)

https://krita.org/item/krita-2-9-4-released/

Krita 2.9.4 is released, which holds both the first version of layerstyles(under the topmenu layer)(no psd loading and saving yet) and huge speedup in terms of loading the program as well as huge speed-ups in layer handling(mostly with transformation masks).
    So if there's a version of Krita you'd want to try out, it's this one ;)
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    cool

gonna put some money too!
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx wrote: »
    cool

gonna put some money too!
    Thank you!

We've passed 50% yesterday and hope to reach €12000 today!

That said, let me demonstrate you a feature of 2.9 that hadn't been demonstrated much:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTKXnMHE8Co[/ame]
    (Video has english subtitles for those who prefer that!)

Text version+ example file is here:
    https://krita.org/item/using-the-transform-masks/
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i gave it a spin yesterday on a mac mini and was rather pleased with features and performance. quite some bugs though, not entirely unexpected for this platform after all the hints on the website. where do i file those?
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    i gave it a spin yesterday on a mac mini and was rather pleased with features and performance. quite some bugs though, not entirely unexpected for this platform after all the hints on the website. where do i file those?

You can file them at bugs.kde.org. You will need to make an account so we can sent you an e-mail when there's updates. You can, after having made an account, either file the bug manually under the Krita product, or go in Krita to help->report bug, and then you get sent to the bug report form for Krita, with 'OSX' and version filled in.

If you'd like to check other bugreports first, go here: https://bugs.kde.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=krita
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On a side note, I hope there's some inspiration or at the very least milestones based on applications such as (even if its in the form of stretch goals):

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-lDwfIix28[/ame]

and

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTkImAOJKM[/ame]
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Wolthera wrote: »
    You can file them at bugs.kde.org. You will need to make an account so we can sent you an e-mail when there's updates. You can, after having made an account, either file the bug manually under the Krita product, or go in Krita to help->report bug, and then you get sent to the bug report form for Krita, with 'OSX' and version filled in.

If you'd like to check other bugreports first, go here: https://bugs.kde.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=krita

what - check existing bugs first? who does that? just enter them as class A and keep updating those tickets so they don't vanish in the pile.

;)

thanks! now about let me see about that kickstarter...
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On a side note, I hope there's some inspiration or at the very least milestones based on applications such as (even if its in the form of stretch goals):
    No actually. No bones at all to be fully honest. Bones are in fact the limit to our target goals with animation.

The reasons are as follows:
    1. We'd need to write a dependency graph, which is very difficult. The kickstarter would require at the least double the amount we're asking for now, without any stretch-goals.
    2. There's beyond plenty of applications out there that can do bone animation on bitmaps, but when it comes to pure frame-by-frame raster animation you can count them on one hand.

Krita is focussing on raster animation, and doing that RIGHT instead of doing a poor job at things like bones, which so many other applications do right.
    Transformation masks however will be animatable.

Edit: Thanks you thomasp!

EDIT 2: Dataday, I had a good long talk with someone who has a lot of experience with sprite animation and is familiar with Spriter and Spine, and he agreed with me that 1. it's out of scope. And he also added that both Spriter and Spine needed to develop a lot of plugins to work with game engines internally. We just don't have the manpower to deliver that kind of support.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    @Wolthera

Wondering if a new release of Krita already has gamut masking/ tone locking palette feature. Or is that still on the wishlist.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    is there a thing in Krita for making a palette? I largely use alot of specifically set color tones in my work, so having the ability to have a palette in the interface is very integral to my workflow.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    @Wolthera

Wondering if a new release of Krita already has gamut masking/ tone locking palette feature. Or is that still on the wishlist.
    Nope, still on the wishlist. (And certainly on the personal wish-list of both me and boudewijn :p)

I already implemented the HSI/HSY' colour selector in the advanced colour selector for a good array of colour selectors to do this on. You can somewhat simulate it by picking three colours, and mixing the gamut with those, but it's a bit tedious and we have computers to solve tedious things for us, right?

What is however going to be in soon is PS pass-through mode as well as lighter and darker color. We were doing this related to layer-styles, but are in general investigating how much of PSD support we could get done if we put our mind to it coming month.

We already added in new cursors in this mini update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krita/krita-free-paint-app-lets-make-it-faster-than-phot/posts/1226509
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there a thing in Krita for making a palette? I largely use alot of specifically set color tones in my work, so having the ability to have a palette in the interface is very integral to my workflow.
    Yes, it's a bit obtuse, hence we have general palette workflow improvements(plus HDR palette format) as a possible stretchgoal.

Okay, so this is what you do:

1. Go to the layer docker.
    2. Click on the lower-left button. This should bring up a list of all palettes.
    3. In the little form underneath write down the name of the palette you wish to create.
    4. Choose the amount of columns
    5. Hit create
    6. Now search for the name of your newly created palette in the list.
    7. Select it.
    8. It will be empty, but you can use the green plus button to add you active colour to it.
    9. You can also use the colour picker tool to quickly add a bunch of colours to the palette at once. Check the tool options docker for more information.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were talking about creating palettes. No, you can just use the palette docker, and if you open the palette library, press the blue folder icon to import a palette. /feels dumb now.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    i'll need to make a pallete file first, but that answers alot of what I needed to know, so thanks!
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We made it! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krita/krita-free-paint-app-lets-make-it-faster-than-phot/updates
    Still 16 days to go, but thank you to everyone who helped us get there!

So, now we'll be going for the stretchgoals, which can be voted on if you contributed 15 euro or more. And each 1500 euro will be a stretchgoal! So if 100 people donate 15 euro, or 20 people donate 75, or 10 people donate 150, or 5 people donate 300, or 2 people donate 750, we're at the next stretchgoal. If you donate 1500 euro, you just get a veto vote.

Anyway, that makes the first stretchgoal to be at 21.500 euro. Spread the word!

In other news, we've got our first implementation of PSD layerstyle saving done, as well as passthrough functionality and PSD group loading and saving, so if you build you can start testing already. Builds are coming a little later because we found a huge slowdown in localised copies of Krita that we really really want to fix.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New builds!
    https://krita.org/item/second-stretchgoal-reached-and-new-builds/

A ton of PSD support in this one, including layerstyle saving and loading.
    Also the return of the autosave recovery wizard on windows. Webp support, etc. etc.

We're at two stretchgoals, thanks to both the kickstarter backers as well as the recently opened paypal donations(which'll count towards the stretchgoals as long as we're past our goal):
    https://krita.org/2015-kickstarter/
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're in the last 40 hours!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krita/krita-free-paint-app-lets-make-it-faster-than-phot/posts/1249656

Up till now we have enough for 7 stretchgoals, which can be voted on by everyone who pledged 15 euro or more! Don't miss your chance if you want to vote too!
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I hadn't updated in a while, but we managed to get our goal, and 9 stretchgoals. Stretchgoal voting is still till the 6th of July, vote if you haven't yet!

https://krita.org/item/krita-2-9-5-1-and-bug-week/

In this release: Memory management panel, new assistants, improved curves filter, huge speed-up on filter layers and a ton of bug fixes!

Also, we'll be focussing on cleaning up Krita before the stretchgoal voting is finalised on the 6th of July, so don't forget to vote before then!
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used Krita at work last week to create some particle textures. It helped me get a thick-to-thin look on the edges to match the concept art. Love it!
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyanB wrote: »
    I used Krita at work last week to create some particle textures. It helped me get a thick-to-thin look on the edges to match the concept art. Love it!
    Excellent!

Final votes are in: https://krita.org/item/the-votes-are-in-2/

We'll be doing the 11 features in the first table for 3.1.
    This concludes the kickstarter news, so here's my question: Would you want me to update this thread continuously, or just make a new thread once the kickstarter features start rolling in?

In the meantime, Krita 2.9.6 was released, which is a release full of bugfixes and usability features, including selection modifiers: https://krita.org/item/krita-2-9-6-released/

Another thing that got in is continued transforms, which'll allow you to continue your transform after applying it, if applying was your last action:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTIO-Nk3CuA[/ame]