Home General Discussion

Character parts tool box?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
stray-shadow polycounter lvl 12
Hello everyone!

I had a question my lecturer was unable to answer, was hoping some of you could shed some light.

When you're working on characters do you re-use parts from older models to speed up your workflow?

So returning to the same base mesh each time, or just have a selection of arms, ears etc... to put things together more quickly?

Also another question, if your in a junior character artist position or internship do you really spend your time modelling shoelaces and fingers or is this a rumor my lecturer likes to perpetuate?

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    of course you'd be re-using your meshes wherever possible - no sense in re-inventing the wheel all the time.

also animation rigs usually are set up to work best with a particular topology, so it makes sense to stick very closely with that. for faces you are often limited to reusing the exact same geometry anyway to ensure blend shape compatibility.

as for the tasks of a junior artist - you'd most likely be filling in the blanks. variations of existing assets, outfit-pieces or props. perhaps entire background characters after a while.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    For production I re-use a ton of stuff from older characters, especially for the clothing. Not so much for the face as I just use the same basemesh all the time. And I use the same default male/female body when it's for a character with standard proportions. Anything that can speed up your workflow.

As a junior character artist I can tell you that your lecturer told you a big lie. I do the same stuff as any other character artist. Why would anyone hire an artist just to make shoelaces and fingers?
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    This sort of practice is often called Kit-Bashing, where you keep a library of assets like hands, feet, screws, bolts, hoses etc.. all stuff that takes time to make but is essentially the same. Then merge them into your project, tweak and adjust to make them work and it saves a whole bunch of time!
  • stray-shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stray-shadow polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks guys for your insights! I still need to work hard on my topology, edgeflow and my anatomy.
    I'll make sure to keep a nicely ordered directory of past models and components for future use!

Glad you could clear up the modelling shoelaces part as he's brought that up almost every lecture, he's not worked as a character artist so not sure where its come from. Either way I can have a go at dispelling it now.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I got an intern at a film studio, my first task was to model an alligator lol. It ended up being used in many tests in the FX department tho never used in any real shots.