Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Naga Siren – Coral Commander

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
Going with the Naga Siren character, here is what i have so far. Since my concepting skills are limited, this gives me an idea if Im on the right track or not. Im most excited for the coral head peice and the shell shoulder pads.

The armor peices Im gonna roll with as I block out. Weapons so far include a triton, crab-claw harpoon or a shell spear. Trying to not get to nuts and remain with the story, thinking about splitting her tail in two, thinking she has walked the earth for so long that evolution is kickin in? Might contradict the corals though...so many ideas

Sirenconcept_zpsa44d9e1a.png

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some spare time today and did some fooling arround. Some sketchy blocking, hope I will have more time soon for some more defying fleshing out.

quicktest_zps1c93e494.png
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    More of refying the blocking, the gauntlets are not there and there are still some parts I havent touched yet, but nevertheless is starting too look kickass. Right now Im going for a more bold and attention grabbing look. My only fear is that it might be to close to the original armor, or maybe not more diffrent than what people may expect. The head peice and the shoulder pad is gonna set it appart but Im wondering if its enough. What do you guys think?

front_zps49c0a9d7.png

pers_zps3a5adfac.png
  • agentfx
    cool designs. I think thats a hard character to design for, but you're onto something nice. I like that it feels stock, like it matches to character so well it could have come with it. Keep it up.
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    What agentfx said - these ideas blend really well with the character. Love the coral crown and triton shell shoulderpad. Can't wait to see more.
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking is more or less complete, still need to think what to do with the head. Its either the legs or head so I can make it to a miniimum 3 peice. Also blocking the weapon, no surprise thats a trident, weird how nobody is going for that weapon for either Slardar or Naga, its kinda hard though to make it look cool.

Sirenweapon.png
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the weapon:

Trident.png
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear Diary, highpoly modeling of the armor goes well,gauntlets are in place, more details on torso part need more work. Kinda grinding my teeth for deadline. On another note, time to stack up on those redbulls after work.

wip-1.png
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    The highpoly is done, except for some quircks here and there. The head didnt go in the direction I wanted, didnt have much time to experiment with the coral idea, so this will have to do. Lowpoly is at arround 50% done, hope i pull this character trough. On a side note, this character is getting alot of attention latelty, thanks to two really nice costumes.

headpeice.png
  • Okoo
    Nice! :o

So much good set for Naga siren ! =D
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    That helmet is sweet! Also, a warning about the front armor, unless it can bend, its going to crash through the front of her really bad. The mid hip area dips really far back while her fish belly err area stays forward. Id throw a proxy in the game before going to far...I screwed myself over and had to scrap some of my work
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips Enodomi, guess it would be a good idea to see if the belly part is gonna kill my armor. Ive seen the character in-game and somehow it was always in the back of my head. If it kills it ill have to maybe "bend" it arround somehow. Thansk for the comments guys its been lonely in here!
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time since Ive done an update, but the lowpoly and baking have mostly gone well except for the painful realization that the low polycount is gonna kill some of the highpoly elements. Nevertheless, here is the low:

lowbake.png

Having some problems with draging down my LOD0 to LOD1, as I take away polygons of course the normal map is gonna be affected, Im just wondering what is the better solution here, maybe rebake again to LOD1, then again you get really choppy resluts again :( Example of my problem:

head.png
  • duyandnau
    wonderful set... like it... hope it will into game
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    Started texturing, this is the progress so far:

Untitled-1-1.png