Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] - Naga Siren - TBA

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10
Hey ya guys/gals

Really late start by me, no excuse except for putting it off far too much. So I probably will have to cut a few corners.

So I decided to do the Naga Siren who was one of my favourite characters from the original Dota. I only have 3 concepts unfortunately so I don't have much to choose from.

Personally I like the third design and will probably develop it further, I like the top half but feel the bottom half needs more work. Weapons will have to come after.

conceptnagasmall_01.jpg

Never done any game models before so this will be a big challenge for me.

As always any critique is most welcomed.

Cheers

Replies

• alifarsangi
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    nice concepts ! i like both 2 & 3. i like N.2 more because is completely asymmetry.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice concepts I like 1's helmet/bracers, 3's shoulders,
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    2 and 3 are looking great. 3 has the best shoulders/arms, but I love the asymmetry in 2's helm.
  • Taril
    Loving the Helmet and Collar from number 2 and Belt from number 1.

A large fan of the asymmetry, would be great if you could also create weapons that are asymmetrical.

But so far all 3 concepts are looking good.
  • Okoo
    Omfg the #1 concept is awesome :o
  • foeffa
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! It's good to see the choices are quite spread out. I decided to go with 3 and see what changes I can do.

I didn't spent too long on these concepts since I really should be in the 3D side by now

conceptnaga_02.jpg

I basically only did one concept, but I did like the helmet of the 3rd.

I started doing a 3/4 quarter version of a more final design that I kind of made up as I went, still need to do the front side. I'll probably do colour when I have the sculpt mostly done

conceptnaga_03.jpg

I tried to incorporate some designs that others like as well as adding my own. I was thinking of putting netting on her arms or on her belt so you can see where she gets her ensnare skill from. Originally I tried to have it around her arms since her animation looked like it came out of the arms, but I think I would not have the poly budget to add it.

As for weapons that will still come, but I have come up with some names for them so it could help me with the design.

Weapon names

Caesura - In musical notation, caesura denotes a brief, silent pause, during which metrical time is not counted.

Concordia - Latin for Harmony(not too sure about this)

as always critiques welcome
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    Still not completely happy with some parts of the design but I have to move on.

conceptnaga_03-5.jpg
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I posted, decided to redesign a bit of the Naga due to the extention,But I've been busy with other stuff so still quite tight on schedule.

Original Design

wip1_01.jpg
    wip1_02.jpg

New Design

wip3_01.jpg
    wip3_02.jpg

I didn't like the original because the detailing was too fine and wouldn't show up in game, so I went back and made some of the designs bigger. Wanted to give really beat up armour originally but decided to keep it cleaner so it will hopefully read better.

Also decided to just keep the original tail as I didn't know what to design, so my 3 sets will be head,armour and 2 swords.
  • demondance
    I like your new design, it seems smoother than original.

And naga is a girl, that is a good point

Two things i think you need to improve is a belt... it too plain, make somethjng more unique on belt is good point . The second is collar, give it a small ruby (color depend on color set) in the middle of collar or below collar is good too.

Keep it up, i like your concept.
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    ah crap sorry demondance, I didn't see your feedback. I pretty much went off and tried to get as much done as I could. I'm afraid I probably won't be able to add in the things you suggest

I've been struggling a lot with this as I've never made a game model before, I had a lot of problems with baking then texturing it then getting it in place. Currently I only have 2 items done so I need to make a simple sword to finish her off.

I need to change the colours as they aren't working but I thought I put something up so I could get some help.

coloured_wip1.jpg

coloured_wip2.jpg

all feedback welcome, hopefully there are some fast easy changes that will improve it heaps.

Time to go to sleep, I have work tomorrow so I will only probably have about 6 hours or so left to make a sword and get everything done. Unless I don't go to work........
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    It has to be done now, it is what it is. it's 3am and I have work in 5 hours so just have to submit. Biggest thing is I actually saw it through tot he end.

Thank you everyone, although I didn't comment or what not you all gave me what I needed to see this through tot he end.

I truly thank you all

masterbanner.jpg