• Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Torch wrote: »
    Pop tarts

Don't you worry. I'm protecting you right now. Mmmmmmmmmmm, delicious pop tarts.
  • arcitecht
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    Forearms and hands. Hardest part of the body to sculpt. Got some bridgman books and have been grinding at studies so I'll get them one day.

Texturing. Just the overall workflow and grasping what makes good textures really good.

Overall cleanness. I tend to get in a rush and overlook simple things to make a model/textures look nice and clean.

Netflix and Steam.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Yupp, sculpting 'Likeness' is another one of mine. I feel asif my eyes are playing tricks on me when I'm looking at the reference face.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    I feel fairly confident in my skills that being said.
    Figure drawing, perspective, drawing in general, 3d modeling, hand painted textures, I'm fairly good at composition but that could probably use some work to.
  • neilberard
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Working from only the front and side views and not rotating around the model. Especially not looking at it from above and below. Often things end up super flat and boxy for that very reason.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    tileable textures in zbrush. JUST HOW

the pelvis

shoulders

finishing things

sleeping

This thread makes me sad. :(
  • Michael Knubben
    Nice try, future prospective employers!
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Sometimes, I work too hard.
  • Paradan
    MightyPea wrote: »

Every thing I touch turns to gold. It'd be nice to have a project fail, just once, so I see what it's like.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I'm too obsessed with fixing tiny issues in my meshes that won't even be seen at a distance.
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Finishing personal projects as I keep doubting their worthiness.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Concept art, really bothers me too these days. Thankfully I'm -starting- to to see improvement there but it's still a long ways off from being on the level I want it to be.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    1. I think tend to lose sight of things
    2. I am too indecisive
    3. I only seem to want to model "bright ideas" (if I am not being paid)
    4. I forego research, because I feel as though I should be creating
    5. I rush things and it sometimes results in unsatisfactory results
    6. I have a hard time coming up with vehicles and environments
    7. I tend to think that every realistic fellow is a "tough guy" saying rude things if I don't look into the matter
    8. I get discouraged sometimes if I am not around other creative folks
    9. I sometimes experiment, but receive unsatisfactory results
    10. Never seem to have enough texture
    11. I never seem to be able to render correctly
  • nazeil
    Offline / Send Message
    nazeil interpolator
    this thread makes me kinda happy. It feels good to know that everyone is as critical of their own work as I am of mine. Sometimes it's easy to forget that.

as for me
    -texturing
    -hair cards...good god I hate these
    -proportions...i'm always exaggerating certain parts of the body...eyes especially..every damn time
    -anatomy always needs to be leveled up...face and body
    -drapery
    -I would say design..but I tend not to make my own designs. I'm not failing if I dont try..right? right? :)
  • Sk0LLiE
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    Sculpting cloth -still pretty basic at that.

2d in general although I am trying to get better at it.

Stop being a lazy git and do more personal work and training.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I have so many it's not even funny, but among them my cryptonite is hair and anatomy - pelvis, clavical, legs, feet, hands & faces in particular. Then clothing, then texturing.

But right at this moment my biggest weakness is getting work done even though I'm not 'locked on' to what I'm doing. Right now I simply cannot get into a freelance project. Usually I can find one detail that I love and work out from there, but right now, nothing. It's been days and I'm still flailing.

Usually I can sit down at my computer and the world around me disappears, and I just work until my wife reminds me I haven't eaten in hours. Need to get there again.
  • ToffeeApple
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    This is a great thread. I wrote my weaknesses down about three months ago and can say that I have actually tackled half of these so can revise my list.

What Overlord said -
    Being too impatient about getting good and not allowing room for mistakes. I have to be a pro right now or I'm crap. It's a huge stone around my neck.
    - I tend to beat myself up over mistakes.

- Being consistent in quality with texturing. Sometimes I'll create something great but then I can't reproduce it - I'm working on this and hoping everything isn't an accident :)

- Working for too many hours without a break and burning myself out

- Working within UDK

- Foliage and terrain

- Creating modular assets and re-usable textures
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Treeeeeeeeeees. The bane of my existence besides UV mapping annoying curved models or text. All that manual cutting and stitching...I honestly say to myself "Am I dead!?" while doing it cause I swear it kills my braincells doing UV layouts.

Otherwise texturing leaves a lot to be desired >_<
  • MoTas
    I am in need for tutorials in Arabic for 3D modeling
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Anatomy, selling meth, and your mothers.
  • Joe March
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    ysalex wrote: »
    I have so many it's not even funny, but among them my cryptonite is hair and anatomy - pelvis, clavical, legs, feet, hands & faces in particular. Then clothing, then texturing.

But right at this moment my biggest weakness is getting work done even though I'm not 'locked on' to what I'm doing. Right now I simply cannot get into a freelance project. Usually I can find one detail that I love and work out from there, but right now, nothing. It's been days and I'm still flailing.

Usually I can sit down at my computer and the world around me disappears, and I just work until my wife reminds me I haven't eaten in hours. Need to get there again.

Sounds a lot like burnout. :/ If I overwork for too long of a period, there is a point where I can't sit down and focus at the same level. Weird ebbs and flows..
  • dissonance
    Consonance.

and constantly giving smartass answers to questions.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Interesting thread, I pretty much need to work on everything but the big ones I'm trying to focus on right now are:

-Overall cleanliness in my work: trying to do better textures, sculpts drawings etc that look more polished and less bloby or sktechy
    -Lighting and material definition: I feel like they go hand in hand, especially in paintings and hand-painted textures
    -Attention to detail and more/better research: I feel like I get to certain points and then have no idea where to go from there and it causes my work to suffer.
    -Anatomy: Forever and always.
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Getting out my comfort zone of guns and weapons.

I've been doing some part-time freelance 3d printing/visualization work and it's amazing how much I rely on my game-industry workflow.

Gotta keep stretching!
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    lack of aesthetic and design skill ...
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I find for personal 3d projects not having a set brief immobilizing from all the potential options & directions available; too much choice & Freedom = Paralysis from indecision.

I tend to thrive within limitations. But there are no limits ultimately with personal art.

I suppose rather than trying to choose the very best possible single idea/direction ever, I should instead make a line up of different projects to do after one another; So I'm not tempted to try and impossibly cram all potential aspects into one idea and or no switching or changing out over others trying to choose, because I know I'll do those in the next project instead.

Could laughably be the polar opposite to 'blank canvas freeze' peeps go on about, But instead its not a 'what to draw/make freeze' but a 'which to draw/make freeze' haha

The never ending argument in my mind lol.