Home Dota 2

Andyk - DOTA 2 Thread

Andyk125
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone, welcome to my my dota2 thread!

F43hOFU.jpg
PhdawcP.jpgGHaeKYb.jpgN5GhOJ3.jpg
mVK0xmo.jpguRqKhbn.jpgn1HcyrW.jpg
iuR0GIq.jpg
WBHwToi.jpg
R35Tukw.jpg3jqvQub.jpgPCLulaj.jpgOS1WPEd.jpg
lplsWBO.jpg

Replies

• Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on my witchdoctor set. Not really sure about the colors from the feathers, but with just a mouse it's a bit hard to add any nice detail, so it's still wip..

wwIkmc7.jpg
  • shellnut
    I feel you man. I only use mouse myself. LOL.
    Anyway. That witch doctor set looks good. I learned that you can add more details by sculpting your low poly model in "sculptris" or "zbrush". Unrwrap your lowres model, and bake an AO map from your sculpted hires model to your lowres model. Export your detailed AO jpg and happy coloring. :D
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Congratulations on you're first set getting into the game! Hopefully it's just the start of many more to come!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx Andrew, lets hope so! :)

@Shellnut, that's the way I make all my models, but for these feathers I started making a texture so I would know where I need to add detail etc. But thx anyway!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the Augury's Guardian ward I have been working on with Helenek, check it out at the workshop:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=131427672&searchtext=

P.s. Don't judge the artwork it's my first drawing, with some 3d help :p

2S09IWg.jpg
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff man! I like your witch doctor hat, but I think it'd read a bit better from a distance if the feathers color was pushed away from the skin tone further. The red color of the staffs handle wrap might be cool.

I like the plant ward you did as well, but I have the same crit :P I feel like the eyeballs get a bit lost when viewing it from a distance because they're colored the same as the plant parts.

Nice work either way, congrats on getting your first set in!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc wrote: »
    Cool stuff man! I like your witch doctor hat, but I think it'd read a bit better from a distance if the feathers color was pushed away from the skin tone further. The red color of the staffs handle wrap might be cool.

I like the plant ward you did as well, but I have the same crit :P I feel like the eyeballs get a bit lost when viewing it from a distance because they're colored the same as the plant parts.

Nice work either way, congrats on getting your first set in!

Thx for your comments HntrLuc!

Your right about the feathers, but I'm affraid if I will use the red/orange color from the handle it will stand out to much. Apperently Valve doesn't like Items that much that use different color tones than the original. Il try to get some more contrast with some purple variation. Also I will work on a high poly version first so there will be some more contrast.

About the wards, the skin tones around the eyes are a bit red or purple so the eyes will stand out more, if you look at the workshop page there are some nice ingame shots where you can see that the eyes will stand out real nice :)
  • naruSol
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think that is entirely true anymore. Certainly early on they shied away from anything that stood out too much from the original design or color palette, but looking at a lot of the winners from the big challenge a few months ago, a strong design outweighs such things.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol wrote: »
    I don't think that is entirely true anymore. Certainly early on they shied away from anything that stood out too much from the original design or color palette, but looking at a lot of the winners from the big challenge a few months ago, a strong design outweighs such things.

Well If you take a look at the last few items that got accepted, there's not really one item that uses a different color pallet. Offcourse you can use a different color that is close to the normal one, but completely different won't be accepted that easily.

Made a concept for the Witch doctor ward. The idea ws using elements from his basic layout, which I almost finished. Offcourse they will be some different so it will all fit the texture map without being to noisy. What do you guys think?

Psh0UvX.jpg
  • Some Jerk
    But witch doctor already has a ward.
  • BearsAremajestic
    Would really love to see one of those flower wards in game,they look great! The can blend in with the nature of sort,no?
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    @Some Jerk: He allready got items ingame as well, just as other heroes. We better stop making anything then :) But this is his ultimate ward, not the ward with the eyes... Can't do anything about it when Valve called the model ward, so I did as well, but I see the issues there.. :p

@Bears: Thx a lot! they shouldn't blend in to much, but I'm a bit sick of all the heroes wards. Offcourse it's nice if you play certain heroes but this one u can use with all the hoeroes and it fits the nature of dota 2 pretty well.

Btw, some (bad looking, really need to use my tablet :p) concept for Lina. Still needs some more work, especially at the waist. Played a few times with her and I have to say I loved it :) Want to go with a more dragon look for the armor. but still keep it feminine. First need to finish my other work though....

yLf83cy.jpg
  • Some Jerk
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    @Some Jerk: He allready got items ingame as well, just as other heroes. We better stop making anything then :) But this is his ultimate ward, not the ward with the eyes... Can't do anything about it when Valve called the model ward, so I did as well, but I see the issues there.. :p

Oh, I thought you meant an observer ward. Sorry for the misunderstanding there.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha no problem, maybe calling it just a ward wasn't the right thing :p

Finished the low poly ultimate ward for Witch Doctor. Now on to the high poly's and hope it will come out nice :) Also I'm not really happy with the belt and skirt of the set so I might need to redo it or make a new concept for it.

KTBZimX.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I've messed up the ulti ward a bit, and I'm affraid the texture size will kill the hole item.
    So like always if something is bothering me I think of some new concepts :p

Here's a concept for a Lina courier, it's suppose to be a "Fire Bird"
    Let me know what you guys think! It's a mix between a phoenix, peacock and a Parrot :)

Changed the concept a liilte bit, and also made both versions. Now I have to think how I will model both versions..

XPoRAJJ.jpg
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Great idea with the "Phoenix" courier, I really like that design. :D

Although you may want to wait until they implement a way to import particle effects, because I think that'll be very much needed to make it look as grand in-game as it does in that concept art.
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    Valve would add particles to the Phoenix if they felt it would benefit from it. But I really like that design.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic idea with that fire bird!
    I have one question about couriers though. Standard donkey is a lot different from his flying version, does that mean that one should/could create two separate models for both walking and flying version of courier?
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    Fantastic idea with that fire bird!
    I have one question about couriers though. Standard donkey is a lot different from his flying version, does that mean that one should/could create two separate models for both walking and flying version of courier?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxKgEmv70Z8"]Dota 2 Na'Vi's Weaselcrow Courier - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, although from what I've seen players don't like it when the ground and flying versions are completely different.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Yes, for sure there need to be somewhat connection between two versions.
    I like the flying version of this phoenix, however ground one could be more subtle like peacock female without long tail, feathers on his head and fire particles.
    Anything from that I really dig this design, and looking forward to see some more! :)
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    Not only do you have to create a ground and flying version, but they ALL have to share the same texture map. It's really brutal to say the least lol.

I'm currently working on a courier that will have a vehicle.. talk about a nightmare trying to get all of the UV's working on the same square without killing the details.

But that's why a lot of people keep their couriers simple and use the same model for both versions, then add something minor to help it fly.
  • Some Jerk
    I'd say to hold off on that phoenix courier until the hero phoenix is added so you can make sure it and your courier look different.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it's been a long weekend with too much work, only not for dota 2 :p

Thx for the comments guys, I was thinking when posting the fire bird, Valve could always add the particals themselves. They will probably do a better job at it then me :)

The porblem with a courier is that you can make two really different versions, one for the ground and a flying version but they both need to share the same texture. And the community also doesn't like the ground and flying version to be two different type of models, just look at some of the couriers posted on the workshop.

@SomeJerk: I'm not affraid my courier will look to much like the hero phoenix, the courier looks a lot more like a peacock then an actual phoenix. Also Valve wouldn't put the courier ingame if they are affraid it looks to much the same.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to post a small update on the modeling, still very WIP and not sure how to handle the wings with the walking version. I think Il just add a different mesh to model the high poly feathers.

Let me know what you guys think!

FMcrAFu.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the high poly hyena courier, the ground version is almost finished..
    Let me know what you guys think!

pP4m0yK.jpg
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    looks awesome, reminds me of Ed hyena from Lion King
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thx, shouldn't look to much like ed though. But I'm affraid that will be hounting me for the rest of the process, maybe I do need to lose the tongue :s

Did some work on my item for brewmaster, it should represent all the spirits from his ulti. Although some colors are a bit blend in a bit because it would look quitte weird.

wzjGa0d.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on my brewmaster set. Finished the high poly shield and spear and almost the shoulder armor. needs some more detail and maybe some damage. Let me know what you guys think!

clwhvml.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    For the sake of fairness - just to show it's possible for two people to come up with the same concept without it being an issue or one person stealing from another:
    Here.

That being said - I think your set looks great :) Love the hair
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yes your completely right there Bronto! I'm sorry it looks a bit simular :)

It's also not an issue for me at all, because their armor looks a lot better and different. I just wanted to point out that Vlad should take copyright very seriously! Also there is no way you can get copyright on a back from a lobster or a barrel :)

Great you liking it so far!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way does anyone know anything about if you stay inside the trilimit budgets easily you can have Valve add particles or anything to one of the items from the set?

I would love to have some fire particles around the fireball from the weapon and for now I can stay into the trilimit budget from the back slot very easily with a lot of tri's left. I could add more detail or maybe another item, but if particles are one of the possiblities I would probably leave it like this.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on my brewmaster set, textures are still wip. Comments are always welcome!

PfcpjN6.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    For the sake of fairness - just to show it's possible for two people to come up with the same concept without it being an issue or one person stealing from another:
    Here.

That being said - I think your set looks great :) Love the hair

there is some big examples of that like the Charles darwin evolution theory, another guy sent him the same theory when he was writing his book =]
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work on my brewmaster set. The back and shoulder are without the masks. Comments are really welcome!

bNrVhDM.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost finished my Brewmaster set, going to rework the texture of the offhand weapon model. The red color is a bit too dark and the dragon scales don't come out that good. Here's the progress so far!

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2044x1018.qYfcQ64.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    It's a bummer that you cant see the eyes on the jar, it makes it really hard to read what it is exactly. Otherwise looking fantastic! If you wanna bring out the scales more, I suggest tinkering with the spec/rim light/spec exponent maps.
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree it's a shame you can't see the eyes of the jar from the in-game view, have you considered rotating it so the face can be seen more often?
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys! I cosidered roting the jar so the face will be upwards, only the issue then is the spawn animation because he's drinking then. But I tested it out and ingame it looks great.

Updated the textures, more contrast between the scales and I remade the masks completely. Here's the result, I think I will make a nice pose shot and upload the item tonight. Also I'm easy within the tri budget so I hope Valve would think about adding some fire particles to the dragonball. :)

xgWiaBT.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    The only thing I don't love is the molten texture on the ball - if you made it the same steel/lead/metal/whatever as the rest of the piece it would look a lot better in my opinion.

That being said, I'm absolutely a fan of this set.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing I don't love is the molten texture on the ball - if you made it the same steel/lead/metal/whatever as the rest of the piece it would look a lot better in my opinion.

That being said, I'm absolutely a fan of this set.

Why Bronto, Why??? :) Thx for being a fan though!

Now your getting me all confused, I thought it was the best thing of the weapon :p None the less is this what you mean, just a quick setup though.. It's looks a bit too basic or not, offcourse i can add scratches etc.

Z4Lsvc7.jpg
  • PoPcorn
    I agree. I don't really dig the lava ball.

I think the silver on the ball could be darker. Or maybe a slight bronze?
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    I agree. I don't really dig the lava ball.

I think the silver on the ball could be darker. Or maybe a slight bronze?

Ok so the lavaball might be a bit to busy or just ugly, I actually did like it though. :s but what about my initial idea about just a red ball?

GWEa8jf.jpg
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    A ruby ball would be fine I think, just some sort of crystal pattern on the texture.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Well you guys don't make it easy for me, everyone wants something diffrent :p
    Ok what do you guys think of something like this:

Maybe Il just post all three posibilities on the workshop and see which one they like..
    Only affraid that won't work too well.

xz1AdQo.jpg
  • Don Don
    I think the red stands out better, especially from the top game view.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Bronto made me doubt which would be good for the weapon so I got three possibillities now, I would love to hear which you guys like best!

teZlZws.jpg
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    My vote's for 1.
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    I like #1 as well.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14