Home Technical Talk

Rendering Particle Clouds with a Daylight System

Hey folks,

Perhaps I'm missing something really simple, but I've managed to create clouds using particles that look pretty good in a normal setting / test render. (attached)

However when I go create them in my scene (which has a daylight system added and uses Mr Physical Sky for the background) they don't appear at all. Completely invisible.

Is there a setting or something I'm missing? Or is it just that I can't use this sort of effect with daylight?

Any help, very much appreciated.

Replies

• TylinaVespart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding a little more information; I'm using 3ds Max 2012 and rendering with Mental Ray.

Figure the problem has something to do with exposure however I can't get it to render at all even with that turned off. So it must be related to the daylight system itself.

For this project (since I'm on a schedule) I'm going to manually re-create the lighting so I don't have to daylight, but if anyone knows a workaround for in future I'd really appreciate a heads up. =)
  • TylinaVespart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaand apparently I'm an idiot.

Problem solved; all that happened was my particle system was on one layer, the particles somehow appeared on another, and the one that controlled whether it got rendered was hidden.

*facepalm*

I'll leave this here in case anyone else has the same problem though.