Home Technical Talk

[Photoshop] How to force "Use graphics processor" to always be checked?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
I have pretty decent card at work, GTX 760 1Gb or something like that, but photoshop turns it off when, I assume, it thinks it's to much for the gfx to handle. It happens when I have some six 2-4k textures loaded at once.

It's just so fucking frustrating having to shut a document down, go in to the settings and check GPU, reopen the file. Happens like 10 times a day some times..

So! Is there like a settings file or something I can snoop around in to kill this automatic feature?

Btw, it's pretty amazing how bad the zoom is in PS when you go from GPU processed zoom to standard..

Replies

• Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wozner polycounter lvl 10
    Well, it is obvious but I'd suggest to upgrade drivers for your card first
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Adobe in its awesome way has encrypted their preference file (why?) and theres no way(from taking a quick look) at accessing that pref value :( Not sure if this is a solution or not but maybe looking into autohotkey or something that records mouse movement and record that ? Also yeah maybe driver update might help.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    if you want the preferences file to stay the same, try write-locking it.

Right-click in windows explorer, Properties, General, check Read-Only

This did work at home.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! Thank you perna!

And yes, I gotz the driverz
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adobe in its awesome way has encrypted their preference file (why?) and theres no way(from taking a quick look) at accessing that pref value :( Not sure if this is a solution or not but maybe looking into autohotkey or something that records mouse movement and record that ? Also yeah maybe driver update might help.

It's stored in binary is all, the names for data types are written backwards, the first quarter or so of the file looks like a pointer table. Fun stuff!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    As a note, if you've used nDo at all, it turns off this setting by default. I used to get annoyed wondering why it kept turning off, before I looked through the settings in nDo and found something related to this.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Joopson wrote: »
    As a note, if you've used nDo at all, it turns off this setting by default. I used to get annoyed wondering why it kept turning off, before I looked through the settings in nDo and found something related to this.

I've been having this issue a lot, seemingly at random, too. This is probably the source of my frustrations!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »

Oh.. That might be the cause too! Last thing I did last night was to use ndo and this morning I get to work with the setting unchecked..

[Edit] Were is the settings file :poly122:
    [Edit #2] Never mind, it's here C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Here's where I ticked the setting within nDo that was turning off "Use Graphics Processor"

It was off by default, so I turned it on.

dasvgqx.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's stored in binary is all, the names for data types are written backwards, the first quarter or so of the file looks like a pointer table. Fun stuff!

Yeah just dont see why it even needs to be in binary. Better yet you cant access much of the pref's with javascript.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah just dont see why it even needs to be in binary. Better yet you cant access much of the pref's with javascript.

It's a lot faster to read/write in binary than ascii, and there's a ton of settings that go into the file. If you have a need for it, I could probably write a file spec that you could use.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm can see that. Don't have a need at the moment though might take you up on the offer when an opportunity arises.