Home Technical Talk

Skining the model, triangulate or not?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Nixellion polycounter lvl 7
Hello, I have a simple question, but I did not yet find the answer to this.

For a game, is it better if I skin and animate a triangulated model, or original, with quads? Or does not matter?

Because from my side, I think that skinning is easier to setup on a quadrangulated model, easier to see loops. But it deformations or just anything else is better on triangulated model from the game engine perspective, I would work with it.

Thanks!

Replies

• Adam Chilton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Chilton polycounter lvl 4
    All polygons are triangles. Quads are mainly there to help see the model in a clearer form. At the end of the day what you are skinning is actually triangulated, however keep things as quads, because like you say it is easier to see the elements of the mesh.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    You might want to control the way some polygons fold with animation by manually triangulate. It's more an issue on very low poly tho.
    For the engine, it's the same.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    It depends on how your engine accepts your animated model. It will be triangulated in the end. Some formats give you an option to triangulate, some engines can triangulate a model on import, and some cannot, and will simply toss an error.
    Some engines can take animation data and discard the mesh data, so it doesn't matter at all, some don't, and will have issues if the animated model and the base model don't match.
    Generally you'll want to triangulate it, at least before export, and, as Noors mentions, turn any edges you need turned for the deformations you're going to do.
  • Nixellion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nixellion polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your replies :)