Home Technical Talk

How to avoid unwanted hard edges ?

Hello,

I'm currently working on an environment. I created this modular window piece.
860184Capture.png
But, I have a little problem with the corners, my top edge is hard and I want is smooth, to keep the continuity. Obviously, I tried to reduce the effect of the control loop by merging some vertices, but when I do this, my corner is not a corner anymore, it turns flabby and I have another artefact.
404741Capture2.png
309202Capture3.png
So I hope that I'll recieve some help,
Thanks,
Samuel.

Replies

• battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    start with a denser mesh that should fix it.
    I'd make a flat window and use a bend modifier.
  • Samuel_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bend do not gives me the result I want... I'll try to densify my geometry,
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Modelling it flat and using the Bend modifier like battlecow stated is a good way to do this.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    np mate.
    Try to play with the modifier( pivot point and channels), it's a bit tricky at first ( the maya bend modifier could really use a visual upgrade)but i'm sure it'll give you the result you want in the end and you'll be able to make a lot of modular pieces with one asset :)
  • Samuel_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure that you're right M8, but atm, I can't achieve the result with the Bend Tool. My piece is too much deformed and the settings aren't really intuitive. Anyway, I keep trying and I'll post when I'll succeed :)

And thank you for your answers dudes
    Samuel.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
  • Samuel_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

I finally found a solution, while reading Noors's and perna's messages. The idea was to densify my geometry (as battlecow said), and just keep faces near my hard edges completly aligned along the Y axis. In other words, I just "reduced" the influence of my bridge (through the curve generated when doing the bridge) on my hard edge.

So, there's not any smoothing problem anymore, thanks to each person who answered this thread :)

157006562.png

698952Capture.png

PS : The Bend Tool is a nightmare to use. Even after several YouTube's videos. It's quite hard to get a decent result with the Bend. I'm sure that this tool is cool, but I'll give it a try once this asset is finished :)

Samuel
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    When i have an hard edge that seems problematic, i take a min and think "will this really affect the way other people will react when i show them my asset or will it go unnoticed."

The answer is probably that none of this will be in focus and move on with my piece. With something so so so small its rarely a problem, even for baking purposes.
  • Samuel_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey perna, thanks for the tips. I just realize that yeah, Sub-D modeling is a difficult topic, where you have to fail and start again several times to find the perfect shape.

@peanut™; : For sure, it was a small issue and this part of the piece will be hidden inside the final environment. But I think that if I have the time to do it properly, I must start again. For sure, inside a pro studio, you'll say "It's not perfect but I can't work on this little piece anymore, I have a lot of work". But here, I'm working on my free time, so I think that this thread was a great idea because I learned several important things about Sub-D modeling. And then, the next time I'll have a similar piece, it will be easy to get a perfect shape :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. If you have the time, start over a few times and get it perfect. Understand why you're getting the results you're getting. Then you'll be better equipped the next time to nail it out of the gate.
  • Samuel_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It completly sums up my point of view dude :)