Home Dota 2

Starter Steps

Hello Polycount.

i am an ambitious gamer who is interesting with artwork/modelling.
i would like to create my items for dota 2 it is hard to know where to start but i have downloaded few necessary programs like 3ds max, and z-brush then had a idea about process its like design-model-sculpt-texture-control i guess. i have created few sketches for my first model then edited it on photoshop.

my next step is modelling on 3ds Max but i dont know much about this program.

i did basic 2d line shape with spline but cant figure rest of it. i am adding related pictures under post

And here is my question;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEB8Aci_-yg"]Dota2 Making of - Laments of the Dead - YouTube[/ame] in this video The Artist is doing exactly i am trying to do. But its not instructional so can someone please explain step by step what is he doing by tools and commands which he is using even if its for 30 sec or can you lead me any that kind of tutorial video

Thanks in Advance !

1. image = hand sketch
2. image = photoshop edited
3. image = this is what i did in 3ds Max ^^

Replies

• No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    yo valkrin.
    i might have some tips for ya.
    You started in a good and clean fashion. keep it up. a few things you should keep in mind if you work with max:
    - keep it simple. you have the basic shape, so what you have to do next is tweaking vertex-es, lines etc with the edit poly function. Play with your model until you are satisfied with how it looks.
    - aply a Pro optimiser, modifier. This helps you show some possible triengulations your model might get, AND will show you the amount of points/ polygons your model has. It`s not needed to use the modifier for anything else. just put it there and from time to time click calculate (use this thing only once if you are done modeling, OR if you want to ad more polygons to your model). You can use it for verifying your model is respecting the item polygon budget allocated for the item.
    -when you are done with the low poly, you can either relly on a very good paint job, or an aditional program (zbrush, muddbox, ?blender?) to create all those fine details that you can see on existing items.

....you know what? just watch this series of tutorials. it helps alot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckXKS7qAbT0

good luck with your scultping. it looks good so far
  • valkrinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your guidence sir. Let me watch this tutorial series its a good start i guess then i can start for modelling i can ask further questions ^^
  • valkrinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again ^^

i made some progress after design i have builded my first poly model on 3ds max and little bit sculpted it on z brush, but i am stuck in somewhere. Already checked some tutorials even found some samples but i couldnt really understand how they are making it. So decided to ask again i have few questions;

1. I would like to add some leather strips on haft of the hook and some spiral springs on hook part Can you help me with that or lead me related tutorials?

2. I would like to smooth my hook edges without touching sharp edges i am using smooth brush for all surfaces then pinching the hard edges with lazy mouse is there a better way to do it?

i am adding related images as an attachment. Also if you can help me with some improvements like cracks on hook or better leather effect i dont know i would be glad.

Thanks in Advance