Home Dota 2

first set..help

syarollo
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
syarollo polycounter lvl 2
hi guys im just started joining last month..i wanna make set..u can guys give a idea how complete this...im stuck at this point..im working on antimage set

Replies

• KungFuPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firstly.. don't start with modeling.. or if you have a concept done it would be nice to show it so people understand what you want to do..

You should use a correct design proccess for the best results..
    - research
    - experiment directions and ideas to find the best one
    - think about details and how it will read in game
    - then model it

Hard to say something usefull to you if people don't know what you want to make, what is your concept, why is that way, etc. Just the modeling part doesn't mean you have a set.. it's like you are trying to make a new car but you start with the metal work.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    firstly.. don't start with modeling.. or if you have a concept done it would be nice to show it so people understand what you want to do..

You should use a correct design proccess for the best results..
    - research
    - experiment directions and ideas to find the best one
    - think about details and how it will read in game
    - then model it

Hard to say something usefull to you if people don't know what you want to make, what is your concept, why is that way, etc. Just the modeling part doesn't mean you have a set.. it's like you are trying to make a new car but you start with the metal work.

In general it's true, and it's the process that most people use...but it's doesn't need to be a rule.
    I also start modeling direclty when i'm doing a set on my own, without using anyone elses concept, and usually i obtain pretty good results.
    The experimentation is probably quicker in 2d, if you know how to draw well and quickly, but if you don't, then experimenting in 3d with zbrush is the best substitute.

@Syarollo: Regarding the model, i would suggest you to throw in all the elements that you're gonna add to it, including weapons. Then keep working on the rough volumes of your set without going too much into details, leave those for the end.
    The start you have looks ok but without seeing all the elements it's kinda hard to give an opinion
  • KungFuPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it's not a rule, but just matching aesthetics without a clear purpose seems a good way to waste time, or simply train in modeling.. yes you may get "happy accidents" but still you should have a clear idea in mind even if you start the exploration part with modeling directly (maybe you can't draw)...

and the research part should also not be skipped.. who is the hero (lore), why he looks like that, what other sets are for him, why other sets didn't get in game, why.. The "why" and "what" questions are important.. good clear research should give you a few directions to work on.

Syarollo, if you are not familiar with the design process but you know how to model I would suggest finding a colaborator to do the concept design part, at least till you get the hang of it.. hope this helps :)
  • syarollo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    syarollo polycounter lvl 2
    thanks for the advice guys..i think better concepting 1st before started...im will just try with 2d art..look how its gonna be
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    Not to fuss up your thread syarollo, but what did you do to get the game model into zbrush with textures applied? (Sorry I'm new)