Home Technical Talk

Converting Maya 8.5 file to OBJ without Maya

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
I have a quandary. I started a model at work on Maya 8.5. I emailed it home in MB format, but realised that its not compatible with my home Maya 6.5. Now the obvious thing to do, given that it is just a model, would be to convert it to an OBJ and then import it into Maya. Does anyone know of a handy app to do this for me, or failing that, some voodoo for importing a maya 8.5 file into Maya 6.5?

Replies

• Husch
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    There was a method for importing new Maya version scenes into an older Maya by using Maya´s ASCII scene file format and edit by hand, which I tried successful with older Maya versions, don´t know if it still works with 8.5 and 6.5. If you want to try it you have to save the scene in Maya 8.5 as a MA file (Maya ASCII), open it in a text editor and change all entries with 8.5 to 6.5.

But with OBJ and FBX export and import available for Maya, you don´t really need to do this if your model consists only of polymesh, simple textures, bones and skinweights.
  • Penzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    There was a method for importing new Maya version scenes into an older Maya by using Maya´s ASCII scene file format and edit by hand, which I tried successful with older Maya versions, don´t know if it still works with 8.5 and 6.5. If you want to try it you have to save the scene in Maya 8.5 as a MA file (Maya ASCII), open it in a text editor and change all entries with 8.5 to 6.5.

But with OBJ and FBX export and import available for Maya, you don´t really need to do this if your model consists only of polymesh, simple textures, bones and skinweights.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this to go back to 7.0 before and that worked, still haven't tried 6.5 though.