Home› 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Newbie looking for feedback

Hi everybody!

I'm kinda new to Polycount. Soon I'll be studying 3D animation. For now I'm trying to improve my drawing and painting skills, both digital and traditional (although I don't have anything traditional on my PC so I won't be able to show it).

My goal is to become a concept artist/character designer, and I'm practicing really hard (more than 4 hours/day for sure), but improvements come little by little! Right now I'm going to a traditional art academy where I do live paintings and practice typical stuff, then I do digital stuff at home.

As I saidI really want to get better so I would love some feedback. Also if you can tell me what exercises do you do in order to practice/get better with digital painting I will appreciate it!

Here are my latest "works":

1) Practice (copied from photos)
BPSf0Kv.jpg
zFlmMLc.jpg
58h6VXK.jpg
jZ0yqEC.jpg
5xJBy0K.jpg

2) Unfinished fan art
6h2Gn7k.jpg

3) Original character (for the character design challenge)
rF9tRYO.jpg

Well, I hope you can tell me some tips to improve :) Thanks a lot

Replies

• Gail_Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like you have a good understanding of the basics - colour, anatomy and composition.

What I would suggest you work on is your ability to "polish" pieces, which I know sounds vague and I will try and explain it best I can.
    In some of your pictures at the top you could maybe add a background (even a vague suggestion) as this will give the focus of the image more context and help to tell a story.
    You can also go a bit darker/lighter with some of your shading and really exaggerate it - Art is a type of theater after all and you really need to push certain elements to really help get your point across to the audience.

And to answer your question about how I improve my drawings - I do exactly what you are doing!
    Go to classes to practice technique, draw my own pictures to help my creative story telling and then post it here to get critique. :D

I look forward to seeing more of your stuff
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    your colors are pretty good, I would try to get a better understanding of 3d space and value.
    make sure you define your planes and understand your shapes. I would recommend doing black n white studies, only focusing on form and value for a while.

good luck!