Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Welcome to the Adventure Character Contest!

Replies

• Fenixy
    Seems fun, I have same question about textures and render engine.
  • mixamo
    Hey, folks, to clear up some texture map questions:

1 x 2048 Color Map, Normal Map, Specular/Specular Color Map, Reflection Map, Bump Map, Opacity Map, Glow map, Glossiness map, Displacement Map, and all other masks.

You may not break texture sheets into smaller sheets. Just use a different Material assignment for different shader types, like skin, metal and other material specific attributes.

EDIT: Since this was not clear right off the bat, following this model is preferred but not required for this contest. -Anais.
  • thijsw83
    Offline / Send Message
    thijsw83 polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, first of all i'm really enjoying this contest. But got a question. We are restricted to 20K tri's models. How come that I see lots of sculpted high poly models? I like sculpting a lot myself, and is way easier than building it up in maya, but my concerns are the polys it makes, or is there a trick that i don't know? Or are those displacement maps?
  • mixamo
    @thijsw83 the trick is using normal maps baked for a lower poly version!
  • thijsw83
    Offline / Send Message
    thijsw83 polycounter lvl 3
    Tnx, Im projecting normal maps right now. Cool to quickly learn new tricks!
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Can we post some WIP shots on other sites like CGHUB? Or does it all have to stay on polycount?
  • Anais
    @Luke_Starkie: The WIP thread that is considered in your submission for the contest is the one you have on Polycount but it's your art! So feel entirely free to post and get crits from other communities around the web! Just don't forget to update the one you have here too. :)
  • absorbentghost
    Offline / Send Message
    absorbentghost polycounter lvl 6
    can we use our own rigs?
  • eXecutex
    Offline / Send Message
    eXecutex polycounter lvl 9
    I have a question: Should the character be a modern one or can I keep it as it is, like from the 1900 year :D I have an interesting story and idea of a character... If so.. thanks a lot in advance :)
  • Anais
    @absorbentghost: You need to Auto-Rig and animate it with Mixamo. But note that you can download it in any format you'd like -- including FBX -- and are completely free to tweak it afterwards. You can modify the rig AND the animation any way you want.

@eXecutex: Yep! You can most definitely create a character from the 1900s. :) Looking forward to discovering your idea!
  • hatfish
    I have been trying to create a thread but I don't have permission, I think this is my first post here, I'm a long time lurker. At any rate, I would like to participate, so please let me know what I can do to create a new thread.
    Thanks in advance-
  • hatfish
    Hi, I have been trying to create a new thread, but it says I don't have permission.
    I think this is my first post, so I guess it's some anti-spam deal. what can I do to create a new thread. thanks in advance-
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    @Anais, just uploaded my character to mixamo to test some animations, but it wont let me download em' without paying. Is there a promo code we have to use again?

• Anais
    Hey everyone,

To answer Luke_Starkie's question: Of course you don't have to pay to Auto-Rig and animate the character you are working on for this contest.

We currently have an issue with the registration process and we are working on fixing it very soon (within a day or two). As soon as this is done, we will make sure everyone is properly registered (if you are not, we will PM you or contact you via your Polycount thread). We will then set you all up with Mixamo credits so that you can use our services for free and complete your entry.

Sorry again for the delay. As soon as this gets resolved I'll make sure to update this thread.

Thanks in advance for your patience, everyone!
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MonteCristo
    Yeah I'm sorry, but this isn't very coo, guys.

"- 1 x 2048 Color Map, Normal Map, Specular/Specular Color Map, Reflection Map, Bump Map, Opacity Map, Glow map, Glossiness map, Displacement Map, and all other masks."

I've been working really hard on this contest and loving it, but dropping a specification like this in at this point is a bit much -- I'd likely have gone about my character in a totally different way. Is there some technical reason why this limitation exists?
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Anais did mention somewhere in this thread that we could NOT split the maps up (nowhere in the rules though).
    but I atleast had a planned for a 4096x4096 texture so all my props could fit there, now Il have to cut them out of the design :(
  • MonteCristo
    I guess what I'm having trouble with is understanding why an auto-rigger would care what textures you're using. If it doesn't, then I think it would be good to remove this limitation.

My plan was to use a 2048x2048 for body and props and to assign either another 2048 or a 1024 to the head and hair regions.

As I say, I don't want to seem whiny, but the omission of this detail at the start of this contest is really not good form. I've run enough of my own comps over the years, and the only reasonable course IMO, is to provide a catch-all stipulation so as not to alienate anyone who is already partaking -- unless there is a technical specification, of course...
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely second this^ So much detail gets lost from the high poly with it all being crammed into the one texture map. Specially for faces and stuff look horrible up close :(
  • Niclol
    Offline / Send Message
    Niclol polycounter lvl 5
    Damn, only heard about this new texture size rule after looking at someone's thread D:

Agree with everyone else that this should've been posted day 1 :(
  • ProtoNinja
  • MonteCristo
    Any chance we can have a response on this issue?
  • Anais
    Hello guys,

Very sorry for the confusion about the texture maps.

It is true that we didn't specify this requirement until several days after the contest started. It came up on this thread after several participants asked for more details and was updated on the main info post for the contest but even then, we completely understand that it's not the best way to let everyone know.

The limitation isn't there because of the Auto-Rigger (the Auto-Rigger doesn't do anything with textures at all). It's only there for efficiency's sake. As you guys know, Mixamo often extends purchase offers to contest participants who create beautiful game-ready characters, whether they won a prize or not, and having optimized/efficient maps for better game performance is always preferred.

Again, since this is entirely our fault, we are apologizing for the confusion and are lifting this limitation for this contest: Not breaking texture sheets into smaller sheets is thus preferred but not required. I will make the change in the contest rules both on the landing page and on this thread and we will make sure to be very clear about this point for our next contest.

Thanks so much for your patience with us everyone!
  • MonteCristo
    Thanks Anais, I really do appreciate this and believe a lot of others will share this sentiment. :)

Bravo.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Gooooo Anais! :) thanks!
  • Anais
    Of course! This contest is not meant to frustrate or worry you guys. It's about learning, promoting 3D character art and having fun! ;)

3JqVsEE.gif
  • Demomode
    Offline / Send Message
    Demomode polycounter lvl 11
    Ok. got it. now theres no limit on texture size.
  • Niclol
    Offline / Send Message
    Niclol polycounter lvl 5
    Wooo awesome! Thanks :)
  • Cerbiron
    Hello, I have some question.
    I already sent the registration once, but I didn't get any a confirm mail in my mailbox.
    Do I have to sent it again?
  • darkhalo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkhalo polycounter lvl 9
    Hi,
    my thread is greyed out..what does that mean?
    am i not eligible yet?
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    darkhalo wrote: »
    Hi,
    my thread is greyed out..what does that mean?
    am i not eligible yet?

It means you have viewed that thread and nothing new has been posted since you last viewed it. Threads which are green mean they have posts which you have yet to view.
  • darkhalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh..Tnx a bunch man..Optinium.
  • Anais
    Hello everyone! Just a quick note to let you know that the registration issue has been fixed: All registrants should receive an email confirmation today, providing a code that will credit their Mixamo account with 200 credits.

You can use the granted credits to both Auto-Rig and apply animations to your character within the Mixamo platform. Remember that your entry must be Auto-Rigged and animated before submission.

If you haven't received your confirmation email yet, it is then most likely that we are still missing information from you. Feel free to email contest@mixamo.com if you have any issues or questions and will make sure to get you up and ready in no time.

Best of luck everyone and have fun!
  • Cerbiron
    Thank you very much, Anais.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Just curious, can we export the animations into marmoset or something?
  • Ziemanskye
    It's probably like the last competition: you apply the animation in Mixamo, but then download it to whatever you want in order to tweak and render it for your submission.
  • nacertag
    small question are the charachter props like weapons and backpak are icncluded in the 20k poly count
  • Anais
    @Cerbiron: You're welcome! :)

@valuemeal: Ziemanskye is right, feel free to use any 3D software you want to work on your character. The only requirement is that it needs go through the Auto-Rigger and have at least one Mixamo animation applied to him/her. If you feel like it, you are also free to edit the rig and animation(s) afterwards in any 3D software you prefer.

@nacertag: Any item/prop the character carries or wears on him is included in the 20,000k triangle poly count. Bases, stands, and environment items do not count.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Anais
    Hello everyone! I was away last week and I am just catching up on all the updates you guys shared on the forum: some beautiful work and great progress out there! Remember that the deadline for your final submission is coming up soon: Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 11:59:59 PM PST.

Quick reminder on what you need to do to fully submit your entry: Simply email contest@mixamo.com and include the following:

URLs:
    > URL to your Final Submission Thread on Polycount
    > URL to your Vimeo or YouTube video (at least 5 seconds long, no maximum)

Images (up to 1920 x 1080 px — see earlier discussion in this thread about removing size limits on images and textures):
    > A beauty shot of your posed character
    > A presentation shot showing at least one front pose and one back pose of your character (any post effects from 3D or 2D programs like Photoshop are not allowed)
    > A construction shot showing how the character is made, including at least one wireframe shot (you may include shots such as: high-res models, multiple angles or just opt for one big wireframe shot)
    > Optional extra images: Participants may submit up to 10 extra images of their choosing (this last step is optional!)

Looking forward to seeing your final entries... Best of luck everyone!!

PS: @TeriyakiStyle: Thanks so much for your feedback. You are right: We should make sure to very clearly define every limitation for our next contests so as to avoid any confusion. For the Adventure Contest, we are allowing peeps to submit larger images per request from the community. Regarding imposing a preselected animation sequence, I am not sure we will follow that suggestion as we like to grant as much creative freedom as possible to contestants. We have a huge collection of animations so why not allow everyone to take advantage of it? :) What we can do, however, is grant you guys more credits next time around so that you are free to iterate more and have access to more motions for your final entry. Cheers!
  • darkhalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi SIr

Does the animation have to be rendered as well?
  • Anais
    @darkhalo: It is always preferred to submit polished videos that are rendered the best way possible, but it's up to you to set the standard of quality you want to reach. Some people only provide a basic video of the animation while others spend a little time making it as compelling as possible, tweaking the lighting, camera angles, shots, music and even adding environment items sometimes. Your choice! :)
  • Zarius
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarius polycounter lvl 6
    I can't submit contest entry on the mixamo website? it just goes to a blank tab
  • Chaouch
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaouch polycounter lvl 6
    Hi All, I just realized that I am very far away from the time zone "PST" and I was woundering if there is a kind soul at there who could hook me up with a link to one of thoose "what time is it now"-website wich shows the accurate time for me. I´m not sure wich to follow and don´t want to miss the deadline because of it.

thanks.

Good luck everyone!
  • opico
    Offline / Send Message
    opico polycounter lvl 3
    Hi guys, I just noticed that there are two different emails to send your submission.
    In the "welcome thread" for the challenge they mentioned this one: contests@mixamo.com
    In mixamo's website is this one: contest@mixamo.com (Go to the bottom of the web a hit the orange button).

I sent my submmision to both of them just in case.
    Best of luck!
    Omar.
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10
    Hi

Any help about how to upload an obj -15.500 triangles- to Mixamo Site and how to get an animation ready to vimeo is welcome.

ty
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    alphajayel polycounter lvl 6
    Please tell me its extended atleast until july 8! :(
  • Anais
    Hello guys! I have 2 pieces of good news for ya:

1. Yes, the deadline for submissions is set in PST (Pacific Standard Time) which is San Francisco time in the US. (One of the "latest" time zones.)

2. Since I personally received a bunch of requests for help and Mixamo support hasn't addressed every single one yet (with 4th of July weekend backup), we are extending the deadline to give you guys an additional 24h to work on your entry.

Which means that the extended deadline is: Monday July 8th, 11:59:59 pm (PST)
    (That's a little over a day and a half from now.)

Two more things:

> If you have urgent questions for Mixamo support regarding issues Auto-Rigging or animating your character, please email support@mixamo.com. To make sure we get to your request asap, please use the word "contest" in the subject of your email so we flag it.

> If you've already submitted your entry but want to use the extra time provided by the deadline extension to polish your work a bit, feel free to resubmit it to contest@mixamo.com before Monday July 8th, 11:59:59 pm (PST).

I hope this will help you guys finish your characters on time. So many great concepts and so much hard work already... keep it up and best of luck to everyone!
  • alphajayel
    Offline / Send Message
    alphajayel polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you so much! :D