Home Technical Talk

Mudbox Mystery Meshes on Export

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
EArkham polycounter lvl 9
I'm using Mudbox 2012 to export some high poly meshes to bake normals and AO.

Problem is that Mudbox seems to randomly choose meshes I do not have selected to include in the "export selected." I'm 100% positive I do not have these meshes selected (even making sure they're not selected before being hidden).

Sometimes the mesh is another highpoly object I have in the scene. Sometimes though it's the lowest subdivision (!?!?) included with the highest subdivision I export. It's very annoying because Mudbox takes ages to export and save (even with an i7 4770K, 16 GB and a Nvidia GTX 680 w/ 4 GB).

I've flattened all sculpting layers, double and triple checked that I'm sure about what's selected, and it still seems to do this randomly.

I've found two solutions: 1) close and restart Mudbox and it won't happen if I export as the very first thing I do. 2) Open it in Max or some other modeling program, delete the extra meshes, and re-save the OBJ.

What's going on here with Mudbox? Is this because it's an older version or am missing some setting or gotcha? Am I missing some service pack?

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    there was a bug causing similar issues some time ago...
    maybe its the same one...

you coud try to hit ctrl+d to unselect everything... but if its the bug you should update to a service pack or a newer version...