Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Making da card backs

Been painting some card backs here lately =D
Hope ya'll enjoy!

Replies

• jonjon
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    Wow these are really awesome, I really like what you've done with the metal work on the second card, really fits in with the art style :) The colour palette on the first card works really nicely as well, I think you could maybe push it's contrast a little further on the first card and maybe put a little more colour variation in the metal areas of the second but that's really the only critique I have for them as they're both so well done! Great work, keep em coming! :)
  • blasto0341
    Hey thanks for the input! Yeah, I am slowly getting these tuned up as I do them. I did notice some of the color variation is subtle on their card backs, but I could push it a bit more. =D Glad ya like 'em!
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Hey! Impressive work here! This cards are now on my inspiration folder :)

I think your style is very professional and your color usage is very good, but both cards are too contrasted, and you can clearly see deep darks and bright highlights, but no middle range. If I were you, I would keep the this extreme values for certain points of interest, but I would keep the rest more "gray", if you know what I mean. Blizzard does hand-painted style style like anyone, and I think the key for achieving a good result is to stick to the middle ranged colors and stay low contrasted until the end, when you'll use those contrast to call the attention to certain parts. Other than that, these are gorgeous :)

Hope it helps!
  • MykulJaxin
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    Dude! I love it! I love that freakin' hand painted look. I went to your site and looked at everything you posted. If you don't mind me asking (this is a bit off topic), what sorts of things did you do (who did you look at, how did you look at them, and all that) to teach yourself that dandy paintin' style? I want to have a similar thing going on. If you could bestow thy secrets upon me I'd be indebted to thee forever
  • blasto0341
    Started to work on another card back! Using some of the crits to push the style =)1934om.jpg
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Simply beautiful! Nothing to add :)
  • blasto0341
    Thanks! I'll post it up once I finish it =)
  • blasto0341
    All done! Yay, now to do a Black Temple one or HOTS based one!de9ue8.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Blasto,

Nice work on the card back, the final product looks really good! I do wish there was more color variations within your materials, but it looks good overall.

If you are just making a piece, and not necessarily trying to emulate the hearthstone card backs 100%, then I'd suggest maybe pulling a bit back on the rendering aspect of the card. On your previous wip there was some awesome unfinished bits on the bottom right of the card that just made it look like it was lost in the shadow. The final you posted seems to be uniformly rendered, but the unfinished/finished look looks more appealing to me.

I guess the one before looks like an illustration and the one on bottom looks like a game asset, so it's up to what your intention is.

Looks great either way! :)
  • Beestonian
    Offline / Send Message
    Beestonian polycounter lvl 9
    These are real nice :)
  • blasto0341
    Thanks guys!The color variation is very subtle. But I am getting closer to where I wan with each of these =)