Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Personal Project - Creature

Craigo
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Craigo polycounter lvl 6
Hello, I'm working on a Creature that is crossed between Evolve's Goliath and Pacific Rim's Kaiju Otachi. The concept I put together was from art work that they had made for possible looks for these two creature and I basically went and combined them to get this:

AZY0m7Q.jpg

This is what I have so fair:

Zplywya.jpg

I have started getting the main elements together and was just looking for some CC and feedback to see if I'm heading in the right direction, Thanks for your time and Lets get modelling :)

Replies

• Craigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Craigo polycounter lvl 6
    Just some progress on this particular piece of work that I'm doing:

g9HVlR3.jpg

So I have given the head it's main shape and will start adding some detail to that some, I have placed the eye into where it will be on this creatures head, like in the reference it sits just below the second horn, I made his arms longer because from other feedback I got they said on the first image it was to small, and I have also started to add the shaping for the body. Again Feedback and CC is welcome and thanks for your time.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd add his legs and tail in before doing too much more tweaking. It'll help with getting the proportions right.
  • Craigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Craigo polycounter lvl 6
    It was going to be just upper body bust, but will put in some zsphere legs just to get it all right with proportions like then move on with the upper body again.
  • Craigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Craigo polycounter lvl 6
    Right I added in some quick mock legs and tail briefly so that I can get my proportions right, which this image shows:

COmuZLv.jpg

Then the most updated model is this image here:

AzqVaKE.jpg

again feedback and CC is welcome and needed and thanks for your time :)
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    I would have the tail go out straight if it were me, your symmetry wont work the way you currently have it
  • Craigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Craigo polycounter lvl 6
    like I was saying before, I'm not modelling the legs and tail, they are there as place holders so I can sort the proportions out for the high poly bust I'm doing of the upper body, but thanks for feedback :)
  • Craigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Craigo polycounter lvl 6
    Here is my image of putting the muscle on to the model:

Image - 01

wNEulfy.jpg

After that I then moved in and starting making a lot more solid forms and shapes with the model:

Image - 02

vbku6YY.jpg

I will be adding the claws and teeth in soon but at the minute I have just put the holes where they will be sitting.

Also I keep getting this whole bubble clay effect on my work and was wondering how I can get rid of it, is the a tool for it or is it just a case of smoothing it till its not bubbly ?

CC and feedback welcome.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Really need to bump that topo down, its going to come out lumpy. Much easier to flush things out when you're working with the appropriate topo. I'd use that density to do details, not setup the base
  • Craigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Craigo polycounter lvl 6
    Here is the latest progress of the creature that I have, I have implemented Armor plates onto the creature as it would be one of it's main defenses against other things.

thJ3N1F.jpg

Though I'm thinking about making the top one a bit bigger but wanted to see what people thought first ?

VQScFZQ.jpg

Idea for armor plate like thing came from this amazing piece of work that I found:

0EbASnw.jpg

CC and feedback welcome guys, look forward to hearing what you have to say about my work :)
  • Craigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Craigo polycounter lvl 6
    Right from all the feedback this is what I have now, So here is my creature without the armor plates on him:

Image - 01
    eOLbxbJ.jpg

Fixed the issues that I got told with the muscles and what not. Then this is with the armor plating that the creature will have:

Image - 02
    xPHOTRg.jpg

Right next move of action for me is to start adding the finer details into the model so try and get some alphas so that I can give him a better look than just clay and also to add detail to the armor plating. But other than that I think I'm good.

Feedback and CC welcome :)
  • Craigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Craigo polycounter lvl 6
    Right guys the project that I was doing is now coming to a close, these are the final images that I have for you all:

Image - 01 - Finally render
    qemr6ih.jpg

Image - 02 - Close up of upper body
    cOaBm1L.jpg

Image - 03 - Close up of lower body
    ldFzvdm.jpg

Image - 04 - Armor Plating
    fMTClV0.jpg

Image - 05 - Other angles
    rULIj74.jpg

This project was fun for me to do, I thank all who gave me feedback through the process of making this. Though things that I have learnt from doing this are as follows:

+ Go away and practice methods of concepting so that I'm able to put my ideas onto paper and get across what I'm going for with my work. Will start by practice Silhouette designs and them move onto hopefully being able to draw what I'm going to model

+ Go away and learn more about muscle anatomy human and animals so that when in the earlier stages of the modelling process I can get them core forms and muscles in there straight away as well as being to identify on my own when something is right.

+ Go away and look at tutorials and other artists work and see how they go about adding the fine details to there models to really make them stand out above the rest. There will be a few books like ZBrush Creature Design, etc that I will go away and try get a hold of and also sign up to Digital Tutors and watch some of there videos.

Thats all from me with this particular project but hopefully will be around with another at some point. Hope you like my final piece and as always CC and Feedback is welcome, I love to hear what you guys think about my work and how I can improve :)