Mathew O polycounter
    CAN
    NOT
    WAIT
    :P
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Super excited. It's funny because in the JJ Abrams star wars thread I mentioned I wish Duncan Jones was chosen instead. But since he's doing the warcraft movie that's even better.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    This i want to see
  • Hang10
    It's not even fair that they tease us with this so early. 2 years is too long to wait :(

I think I'm going tot start playing some old WC 3 and Frozen throne. Now where did I put those ... :\
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    Im trying to not nerd out about this, though I doubt it, I wonder if Blizzard is going to be working on the cg side of things?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    awww man, it's going to be a big blustery epic with a lot of meddling from higher ups, it seems like Duncan's talents are going to be wasted on it.
  • Mister Sentient
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    What ever happened to that Monopoly movie?
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Whoa, Duncan Jones? Interesting pick... Going to be interesting to see how that works out.
  • HardBaller
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Not going to get to hyped about it yet. I say yet purely because if want to see if they will translate the warcraft universe to the big screen well enough. We all know how game -> movie projects went in the past. Though i really hope that it becomes a great movie and will be translated into an awesome display of warcraft on the big screen. (please no 3D stuff haha).

Btw. wasn't this not already known like 2 years ago? Only difference is that it's now "official".
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    HardBaller wrote: »
    Btw. wasn't this not already known like 2 years ago? Only difference is that it's now "official".

It was originally going to be Sam Raimi but he left to do his Oz movie.
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I really hope this goes well for them to encourage big screens on their franchise. As they already have a guaranteed pull of subscribed gamers to watch it.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    LOL it is officially, official now!

OT:
    Interesting live action?
    Guess It would cost less to do live action compared to CG.

I hope the character races at least look good, wondering how nice It will be with the mounts at lvl 10.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Giant Shoulder Pads and Ugly Eyebrows the movie.

Meh, I'll still go see it. If they pull off visuals like LOtR, with some good acting and excellent story I can see this still being awesome.
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    awww man, it's going to be a big blustery epic with a lot of meddling from higher ups, it seems like Duncan's talents are going to be wasted on it.

This. Hopefully I'm wrong.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Makkon wrote: »
    Giant Shoulder Pads and Ugly Eyebrows the movie.

lol! exactly what I was thinking.
    It would indeed be cool if it were more like LotR, but without all the cheesiness, would it still be Warcraft? Won't be an easy task to pull that one off.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I'm curious how they are gonna pull of all the races in the Warcraft universe with actors. It feels like 95% of the movie is gonna need to be CG anyway, so why not go all the way. Unless live-action means something else.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I hope it's not as boring as the game or people might die in the theater.

But yeah, fucking excited to get a movie out of Blizzard. If they know what's good for them they will give this their full attention, because it's also a potential path for the future of the company. And Starcraft and Diablo are pure cinematic GOLD.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    dfacto wrote: »
    I hope it's not as boring as the game or people might die in the theater.

But yeah, fucking excited to get a movie out of Blizzard. If they know what's good for them they will give this their full attention, because it's also a potential path for the future of the company. And Starcraft and Diablo are pure cinematic GOLD.

Well I think now, they have no choice since people are leaving WOW after MOP happened. Blizz is known for their cinematic, so I am expecting that same taste in the movie as well.

otherwise you will see someone shouting, "this movie sucks balls,!!!" from the back in the threater room.

Waiting for this :D
  • loki1991
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Well I think now, they have no choice since people are leaving WOW after MOP happened. Blizz is known for their cinematic, so I am expecting that same taste in the movie as well.

otherwise you will see someone shouting, "this movie sucks balls,!!!" from the back in the threater room.

Waiting for this :D

no people left after cataclysmic. the hard core players all started leaving after LK because of the reduction in difficulty and cata was just a pile of crap that made people throw up. MoP was actualy a step back in the right direction however it may be a little to late and directed to getting their old core players back rather then trying to keep the core players they have now.
  • nick2730
    just make a starcraft movie instead
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm sure if the WoW movie does well they'd consider starcraft. I'd love a good CG scifi movie.
  • Hudson.L
    I can't wait to see this!!!! Drooolllliiinnngggggg...... LOL
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    nick2730 wrote: »
    just make a starcraft movie instead

Starship Troopers meets Aliens?

Hell YEAH!
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Starship Troopers meets Aliens?

Hell YEAH!

lmao, whata series that would be...Cheesy Jump Thrillers in Space.
  • inflict3d
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    This could be really great, or a colossal failure.

I want more than anything for a good video game movie for once.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I feel like this movie is coming out too late. WoW ran it's course years ago, does anyone really care about it anymore?
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD wrote: »
    I feel like this movie is coming out too late. WoW ran it's course years ago, does anyone really care about it anymore?

Last I heard, still 8 million subs strong, could possibly go up again depending on xpacs or further development. Hearthstone is also a warcraft themed game which if fairly new. Who knows whats around the corner. I'd probably argue the franchise is still very popular and not limited to just the mmorpg.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    High of 12 million subs, current is 7.6 million, last expansion caused a million sub bump. I just wish it was coming with a reboot of Warcraft, which obviously wont be happening for a while with SC2 still running it's course.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I hope they cast Arnie as Thrall, just paint him green and give him a black wig

"FOR DA HORDE, YARRRRGH"
  • LRoy
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like a b-movie.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    love me some Ben Foster - the other names involved not so much
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If they keep the movie personal, amidst the grand battles and epic fights, they will have something strong on their hands.

- Epic space, but father and daughter relationship "Interstellar"
    - Roving car fleets in an epic desert landscape, but hope, redemption, escape "Mad Max Fury Road"
    - Prison Escape, but character explorations of rejection, love, and growing up "Toy Story 3"
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    I feel they fucking up already by cheaping out on the director.....

CG might be good, hopefully as good as the WoD trailer. But I'm really scared is gonna be a ''B'' movie on the story side....

I was hoping for a launch and marketing like final fantasy 2001. I'm afraid is gonna be very ''niche''.
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Well, I don't recall ever seeing a game adaptation that didn't feel like a B movie... :p
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    Well, I don't recall ever seeing a game adaptation that didn't feel like a B movie... :p

I was hoping differently from blizzard, they always deliver AAA quality
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Clos3d wrote: »
    I feel they fucking up already by cheaping out on the director.....

CG might be good, hopefully as good as the WoD trailer. But I'm really scared is gonna be a ''B'' movie on the story side....

I was hoping for a launch and marketing like final fantasy 2001. I'm afraid is gonna be very ''niche''.
    I'd rather niche than another Transformers. I dare say Jones has a far better chance of delivering an appropriately Warcraft flavoured story than your typical blockbuster director.

One of the reasons I've not immediately written this movie off is because I want to see what Duncan Jones, a director known for weird, intimate arty movies brings to this thing. There's every chance that it'll be a complete disaster, but it might be an interesting disaster at least. Better to be Immortals than 300 in my book.
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'd rather niche than another Transformers. One of the reasons I've not immediately written this movie off is because I want to see what Duncan Jones, a director known for weird, intimate arty movies brings to this thing. There's every chance that it'll be a complete disaster, but it might be an interesting disaster at least. Better to be Immortals than 300 in my book.

Immortals is one of those very rare movies I stopped watching because it was horrible:(
  • slipsius
    Need to see these pics in action. Can't judge a movie or CG based on screen shots, I feel. But, I am impressed so far. The biggest thing will be how does it look when next to a real human. That will be the make or break. But given how well Hulk is done (by the same guys), I have high hopes.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed it is, but it's an interesting kind of horrible. I must admit to being a bit of a fan of Tarsem Singh though. Mileage may perhaps vary, but I think my point remains - better to be a weird niche thing than an attempt at a dumb blockbuster that bares little to no resemblance to the game or its lore.
  • Zpanzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    So incredibly tired of seeing green orcs with tusks. And when you work in this industry, it's unfortunately one of those things that gets crammed down your eye holes about six times a year whether you want it or not.

This one is brown :P

Can't really complain about the green orcs with tusks when it comes to Warcraft... it's kinda been its thing since the beginning.
  • slipsius
    So incredibly tired of seeing green orcs with tusks. And when you work in this industry, it's unfortunately one of those things that gets crammed down your eye holes about six times a year whether you want it or not.

It's warcraft.... They kind of made that whole green orc with tusks thing popular... If it was anything else, people would freak the F out....
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i stop by polycount about once every 6 months to see if it is still overrun by crying downy clownies and I am not disappointed!! i have a lot of friends who worked on this that will love to read all this hate over their long hours of work away from their families, this is exactly why they started making cg! i cant wait to send them the link to all this completely speculative bullshit!!!
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon wrote: »
    i stop by polycount about once every 6 months to see if it is still overrun by crying downy clownies and I am not disappointed!! i have a lot of friends who worked on this that will love to read all this hate over their long hours of work away from their families, this is exactly why they started making cg! i cant wait to send them the link to all this completely speculative bullshit!!!

So because people worked on it we have to love it?

your common sense is blowing me away!
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11

This is the exact style of "hate" you are against, if I am not mistaken. Also your post is not helping this conversation/debate make any ground. People have every right to discuss these things, especially on a public board, IMO.

I agree with Dustin Brown, tho I am also giving the CG a shot because I do also agree that WoW is one of those that did really give the high fantasy orc a definitive face. When you think (meaning most of the population that absorbs this media) of orc's you think of the LOTR and WoW orcs, which definitely resemble those found in the Warcraft movie. I do not think it is out of line for them to go with a generic, run of the mill, design with tusks and green skin (brownish red for this specific character) in this instance. I do however agree that I wish art direction did push the generic boundaries more times than not.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    discussing is fine, not liking something is also fine its just hate for no other reason than to hate that i dont understand, its actually funny to me, one shot of film comes out and everyone is crying that their world is ruined and its horrible and they were raped and force fed diarrhea through a straw.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    there seems to be much anger over the designs of the green woodland fellows.
    Why is this?
    Isn't this PC woodland gaming business loved by all of those on the polycount?
    I don't get you people some times.
    In terms of things being generic, I do agree that these sort of games are generic, similar believable fantasy setting, woodland music, dull colors, it just seems no good to me.
    But in the other thread that Feng Zhu fellow said that things had to be relatable so I am not sure.

Well in a couple of games the orc fellows are more "porks" than orks if you catch my drift, however if they were changed this late in the game for this franchise the mountain dew fellows would be full of anger.
    Also looking at the old screens of the third game and this WOW everyone seems to be raving about, it seemed far behind console games of the time. Why is this being appraised? Games like Okage, pikmin, and jade cocoon had much better graphics, even a couple of ps1 titles looked better than that one, sheesh.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    discussing is fine, not liking something is also fine its just hate for no other reason than to hate that i dont understand, its actually funny to me, one shot of film comes out and everyone is crying that their world is ruined and its horrible and they were raped and force fed diarrhea through a straw.

Bit of a hyperbole, no? I haven't seen any outright vitriol in this thread in regards to the movie. Any opinion on whether or not someone likes/dislikes it has been backed with reasoning and debate (apart from one or two comments about it looking like a b-movie, which are easily ignored.)

Comments like yours come off very hostile and generic. I don't feel like they're warranted. I'd like to keep this thread civil.