Home General Discussion

Nintendo 2DS, plays all 3DS games in 2D

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Nintendo 2DS, it plays all 3DS games in 2D.....:shifty:

think about it.....

:thumbup: genius idea! ch-ching ch-ching

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAExBTWIp3M"]Nintendo 2DS - Introduction - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think its super smart.... at a time when Nintendo is releasing big 1st party titles they lower prices on the 3DS to the 2DS which gets rid of the stereo effect for most people that say its gimicky. I do wish it was XL size... that would have been nailed it imo.

Also... wiiU dropping 50 dlls in the middle of september. Bundle that with Windwaker HD and i know a lot of people are interested. Again.. lots of cool games on, and so far, i have heard nothing but positive feedback to this.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Or, turn the slider off on the 3ds so that they are 2d?
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    3DS is still 50 dlls more expensive... which one will you get?

original.png
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    pocket gaming that doesn't fit into your pocket. Wonderful. When I first heard of this I thought it was a joke. I guess it could be cool but man, the price would have to be so low for me to even think of picking this up. I would honestly rather buy a 3DS since it actually folds in half for easy travel.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    In that chart, it reads that the 3DS XL doesn't come with a Power Adapter?! lol, mine did.

Also, the price of this will apparently be 129$, shame they couldn't bring it all the way down to 100$, it would be a really good deal then.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    No thanks. It looks huge and clunky as hell.

Almost looks as big as a frickin' Gamegear
    WVktWXQzMVUzT28x_o_sega-game-gear---custom-electronics-flash-programming---.jpg

I want a 3DS that, when folded, is as thin as an ipad.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    The savings just aren't big enough to make it a worthwhile option. It seems to only exist for people who don't want 3D because they don't like 3D. I honestly thought it was a joke also. Stupidest thing I've seen in awhile.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I haaaate the design of it, why the hell does it not fold in half like the other DS's? to me it just screams a lame lite version that people will look at and decide to upbuy to the normal or XL by comparison.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    It's pretty funny imo. Nintendo always releases some random already obsolete mobile platform nobody asked for. Remember the Gameboy Micro? On top of that this thing looks like the Fisher Price version of the 3DS.

Meh, I might buy one. Lol.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    What a piece of shit. It's gotta be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Won't even fit in my pocket.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I swear I thought this was some kind of Onion news satire.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    wish they'd get rid of the second screen altogether and just release a 2D XL, but I guess that would break half the games.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    wish they'd get rid of the second screen altogether and just release a 2D XL, but I guess that would break half the games.

Or simply make one very thin long screen, I dunno, but yes, this is stupid.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    It is a very ugly device. However, I don't think we're the audience its aiming for. With the upcoming release of Pokemon X/Y in Japan, this seems like a smart move to tap into a much younger market (hence the almost V-tech design and durable casing) and increase that install base massively.

Like it or not, I reckon its going to be an absolute moneymaker.
  • NowvaB
    Offline / Send Message
    NowvaB polycounter lvl 3
    Looks actually really comfortable with the button at the top side and all, but it feels like a step backwards.
    I remember that in phantom hourglass you had to close the ds to stamp the map. will the sleep switch do the same?
    just hope nintendo can make money off of it.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A cheaper 3DS that doesn't have a 3d screen is a good idea. Changing the whole design of the handheld to make it bigger and less portable, without really any benifits, bad idea.
  • GrevSev
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    I keep hearing this is mainly aimed at kids around 7. Looks comfortable it would have been nice to have a design like that during the Gba era.

The game gear being so large in my small hands felt the best.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    It is a very ugly device. However, I don't think we're the audience its aiming for. With the upcoming release of Pokemon X/Y in Japan, this seems like a smart move to tap into a much younger market (hence the almost V-tech design and durable casing) and increase that install base massively.

Like it or not, I reckon its going to be an absolute moneymaker.

I think you'd be surprised how many adults have a DS. There is a very large community of people at Bungie that play DS games.

I've been a Nintendo hand-held, die-hard fan ever since the original Gameboy.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I don't get the fuss. all I ever hear about the 3ds is that everybody turns the 3d off anyway. so get this and save 50 bucks i guess.

the size thing is another matter i suppose...but if it's aiming for kids then they can seldom fit a 3ds in their pockets anyways.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    that's for sure Isaiah, but I think that's what Baj was saying - the DS/3DS/3DSXL design is totally fine for adults and most kids. But every kid I've known who had a 3ds broke the flip-part because theyre clumsy foos and I imagine the 3d feature makes some parents uneasy when it's plastered with a disclaimer that the 3d effect 'may be harmful to children with developing eyes' or over all reduced gameplay period to reduce eye strain, nausea, or whatever

it seems like this particular version is more marketed towards kids vs adults. I'm with you all though, for 50 bucks more I'd much rather have one that fits in my pocket even though I rarely play with the 3d feature turned on anyway. As for the screensize, I sorta imagine that removing the 3d hardware entirely would give the screen more clarity so you could see the pixels even more clearly if they XL'ed it - but who knows!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    But every kid I've known who had a 3ds broke the flip-part because theyre clumsy foos and I imagine the 3d feature makes some parents uneasy when it's plastered with a disclaimer that the 3d effect 'may be harmful to children with developing eyes' or over all reduced gameplay period to reduce eye strain, nausea, or whatever

Good point! I even broke my hinge and had to buy parts to fix it... XD
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I think you'd be surprised how many adults have a DS. There is a very large community of people at Bungie that play DS games.

I've been a Nintendo hand-held, die-hard fan ever since the original Gameboy.

It might be more a result of company culture. I don't think there's a large contigent of 3DS owners at my studio but board games and card games are HUGE. At the studio before that it was League of Legends or die and before that it was tabletop wargames.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    But every kid I've known who had a 3ds broke the flip-part because theyre clumsy foos

Must be. When I was a kid - around 6/7 years - we had those 2 screen Nintendo Donkey Kong games and I haven't seen anyone break it. Man...I should have kept that one, just for nostalgic reasons...
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's clear as day and night that this was created for kids and long travel times involved, lets face it, there is a good chance that something aimed at kids being small and light will always go the way of the dinosaurs and frankly, most parents either get them or don't, this is filling the latter market.

So yeah, I don't see the large, almost sophomoric elitist attitude some people are having about this of "huehuehue, it's big and bulky, what a piece of crap, I want my streamline IPhone product".

Frankly, if I didn't have a wallet clip on my almost feather like compact wallet, I wouldn't even know in which pocket I have it, half of the time I get a heart attack because I can't feel my damn money keeper and need to dig in all of my pockets to find it.

This seams to solve that issue, especially since I recall losing my old smaller GBA's in places but NEVER losing my bloody 2 ton Game Gear simply because it was impossible to lose, let alone be slipped out of my jacket pocket. Not to mention, less 'sensitive' parts = to longer lifespan (folding and unfolding your screen constantly wears out the wires you know.)

Again, smart move from Nintendo, it's going to be a pretty good success kit for lower end family incomes and clumsy kids, near the Pokemon release date, which will only bolster the numbers in their favor since everyone will want to be 'on' the Pokemon 3D rave.
  • PolyHertz
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I want a 3DS that, when folded, is as thin as an ipad.

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to release something as slick as this old mockup:

3ds-ds2-ds1.jpg
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    This seams to solve that issue, especially since I recall losing my old smaller GBA's in places but NEVER losing my bloody 2 ton Game Gear simply because it was impossible to lose

I never lost my game gear because my parents didn't allow me to take it with me. They didn't want to carry those 2.000.000 AA batteries the sucker went through in a day.

Seriously, I don't get why kids stuff has to be clunky. Is this because we became so over protective of kids that we don't trust them with anything that's not Fred Flintstone rugged?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I would buy this over the 3DS any day had it came out around the time I bought mine. The only game I have that is 3D capable is Resident Evil. Everything else is DS games I am getting around to playing.

Actually... hell I would trade in my 3DS for this... will look into it now.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Though if this was intended for kids or a "younger" audience why make it so it's unable to fold? Hinges break, I get that, but one of the geniuses of a folding design is the screen is always protected. With kids being kids and the screens exposed like that it's far more likely for them to get scuffed, scratched or cracked. The whole design of it just seems so strange...
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Even though I thought it was a joke at first, there's certainly a market for this. And I might be part of it :P
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I always disliked that 3DS thing, so i'm pretty happy with this :) Old School way.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for Nintendo to release something as slick as this old mockup:

3ds-ds2-ds1.jpg

Oooh, I like that!
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I read that it's not actually 2 screens but one, the division is just an illusion. Probably to save costs.

They could have just got rid of the border then and made it look like a tablet, seems it'd make more sense.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    Just read this article... he goes through reasons that make sense to me. I still think is a smart move.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423778,00.asp
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Arg, Nintendo continues the pattern of each portable device iteration taking a step forward in one direction, while taking away a feature that they made standard with previous versions! Back when the GBA SP came out, I loved the new flip open style, it made it more compact, while protecting the screens, but with that version they took away the headphone port which had been standard for all version previous! They've had other issues with bad choices like no backlight for the GBA. Since the SP they've stuck to the "clam shell" flip action because it was less bulky with the DS, DS slim, 3DS and 3DS XL, because it was a great, logical design choice!

Now with this, while comical to hear 2d versus 3d, a lot of the 3d mode in games was obnoxiously overdone and sapped the battery, on the whole more of a gimmick than a make or break awesome new feature. Get it out, drop the pricepoint, I love it. I just don't get their approach of "let's add something good, but also take out a great feature we've made standard for years now" approach they seem to stick to.

It makes buying one more tempting for me, probably more because it will make the 3DS XL price drop to something comparable.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting link glottis. In that case I would expect it to be $90-$100 for brand new if it is targeted to be a cheaper knock-off for kids. I still had a hard time coughing up $120 for my DS Lite a few years back.
  • GrevSev
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    http://nintendo1ds.com (*Not actually a real device or price. See dreams for details.)

Id buy this for the t.v dongle feature is it were real </3
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    So what about 3DS games that actually require the 3D to figure out various things? I know Super Mario 3D Land had a few little puzzles and what not that you wouldn't really be able to effectively figure without the 3D, if I'm remembering correctly.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think it would make more sense to just to make it a tablet ds hybrid with one screen. It's kinda silly to have 2 seperate screens right next to each other. Just fill the empty area with black bars.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It's cheaper to have 2 small screens and a bunch of plastic.
    I think people are missing the point of this. It's for little kids, to offer a cheap option. Without the hinge, they save a lot of money in interior parts (ribbon cables, metal hings, switches, etc). It's good (for them) to get kids introduced to their IPs, before the kids move into consoles (or future hand helds).
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    ...before the kids move into consoles (or future hand helds).

But... but I've never moved on...
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, it's ok to hold on ;)
    I just mean, IF they move onto consoles, nintendo is probably hoping they will choose based on the games the kids have a connection with. At this moment, that's probably their only hope of staying in the console market :)
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The 3ds got free antialiasing when you put it into 2d mode, as a result of actually rendering two frames.

Are they going to skip out on that with this one?
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Ok. So they made the Nintendo DS. Decided they wanted to make the Nintendo 3DS. Now they are selling a Nintendo 3DS without the 3D? Doesn't that just making it a Nintendo DS again? I'm pretty sure the old Nintendo DS didn't make a big deal out of having 2D :P

They really need to get the names on their shit together. This is getting rather confusing.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Except the old DS won't play the 3DS games, which is where all the new games are going now :P
  • Kraftwerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    I have a eye disorder which prevents me from useing any kind of stereoskopic 3D without getting major eye or head pain or throwing up (yup it is that bad) so a way cheaper DS without 3D is actually quite welcome for me. Other then that as it has been mentioned this Gameboy is intended for youngher kids who break the hinges on a regular 3DS, admitable though the design is butt ugly lol.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    In case you weren't aware, the 3DS has an option to disable 3D (or so I was told).