Home General Discussion

Batman: Arkham Knight

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkuD0Inb9Gs"]Official Batman: Arkham Knight Announce Trailer - "Father to Son" - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/03/04/bak-debut-trailer-90348602352.aspx
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/03/04/april-cover-revealed-2014-1039752374.aspx

Pretty amazing CGI trailer, if the games anything like that, we're in for a winner.

I disliked Origins, hope this brings back the best bits of Arkham Asylum and City.

Replies

• J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Squee!!!!!! The arguments for me finally upgrading to a next-gen console are really starting to pile up.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Seriously, how many more Arkham's are there going to be? I love the games but this is getting a bit silly. I mean the joker just keeps getting away, get better security! Imagine being Batman, imprisoning the joker for a third time. You then get home after a long flight back from the city, stick the kettle on and put on some lounge pants. Job done.

Then you stick on city surveillance. Joker's running around outside again, laughing like a nutcase.

Batman: "FFS"
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Scarecrow is the main villain in this one. SPOILER:
    The Joker died in Arkham City.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty excited about this. Although it looks like they're going a little bit more towards realism (art) than the previous titles, which were very comic book/animated series inspired.

The new batmobile design is interesting. I like it, except for the exposed brake disks/calipers. Seems like a dumb idea to keep them exposed like that.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like a marriage of the Arkham series and the Dark Knight films. Arkham Knight is a proper title indeed

Big fan of Rockstready's tight work on this franchise so I'm down with it

Torch wrote: »
    Seriously, how many more Arkham's are there going to be? I love the games but this is getting a bit silly. I mean the joker just keeps getting away, get better security! Imagine being Batman, imprisoning the joker for a third time.

Not a comics fan then, I'm guessing? :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    redhonour wrote: »

Not a comics fan then, I'm guessing? :)

Nah dude I was just messing, am actually looking forward to it, also love comics :) Rocksteady always deliver so should be great!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    my body is ready! really loved Origins :D and im sure this rocksteady game will be way better.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've loved all the Batman games. I never pre-order games but I WILL pre-order this...
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Love the armor look, but not feeling the Bat Mobile, reminds me too much of a Pagani

2010-12-11-Pagani-03-049DEFDEF.jpg
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    This looks great! Apparently this will be the last title in the Arkham series. ALSO this time its a 'fully realized Arkham city' and you will be able to drive the batmobile around!!! WOOO
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I didn't play the last one... and wanted to be cynical about this one.. but god dammit I am sold. Rock steady take me on another journey, bebeh.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hermit wrote: »
    Red hood (Jason Todd)

Who? Never heard of them :poly117:
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't the other incarnation of Red Hood appear in Batman Origins? That might confuse things somewhat.

There's been some odd developer quotes about the "Gotham Knight" not being Batman, but a separate character developed by Rocksteady. Given that Batman is clearly in the game from the trailer, I'm imagining someone else doing their own vigilante work that Batman needs to hunt down.

I'm kinda with Torch on this one. While the Batman games have been great, I think it's really about time they made a significant change as we've been doing roughly the same thing in more or less the same setting for 3 games now. I had my fingers crossed for the Silver Age game that's been rumoured for a while. Or a resurrection of Day 1's Gotham by Gaslight.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang. That sounds pretty sweet.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I've gotta say I'm actually a bit disappointed. I really hoped Rocksteady were working on something new and it's ... just another Batman game. I'm sure it will be awesome (like the previous iterations have been) but still...
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    The only thing that comes to my mind with this preview is the scene from the Southpark episode where Cartman says "It's the Batmobile you guys, the Batmobile's outside you guys" and everybody goes crazy and runs outside.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    That sounds a lot like the Red Hood (Jason Todd) re-imagined for the Arkham universe, since Joker is actually out of the picture.

Or Wrath, Prometheus, Hush, Owlman (the Thomas Wayne Jr. version)
  • Ark
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Zonda Tumblr getting a lot of spotlight is deserved, but that new suit is so good too. Looks like I need a PS4...
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    Squee!!!!!! The arguments for me finally upgrading to a next-gen console are really starting to pile up.
    Tenchi wrote: »
    Looks like I need a PS4...

Just get it on pc! All the Arkhams so far have turned out really well on the pc. Usually nvidia does something fancy to "up the ante" over the consoles.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Technologies are evolving so fast now, that it's already possible to buy a more powerful PC for the same price as the Xbox One. So, if Sony or Microsoft try to launch another console after PS4 and Xbox One (considering that it takes them 3 years to manufacture the consoles), we'll probably be able to buy PCs at least twice as powerful for the same price at the release of those new consoles.

And if Xbox One and PS4 really are the last consoles, it's a big problem, because all the games people will download will be lost. Tons of money wasted. It would be wiser to buy a PC and stick to Steam, because Valve isn't going anywhere yet.
    I think it's a given that PCs are easily more powerful than next-gen consoles but more power doesn't equate to a better platform. I primarily play PC games as I generally play a lot of Counter-Strike, but console gamers get a ton of amazing games that I'll never get to try unless I purchase a console. From my experience, we generally get the best multi-platform games on PC but we of course miss out on the amazing exclusives.

I also don't think the Xbox and Playstation will just randomly die and gamers would lose all of their downloaded content. My guess is that console gaming will be transformed into a more "universal" medium in the sense that you'll be able to play console games on devices other than your actual console. The Playstation Now service for example, will allow you to play Playstation games from any Playstation platform on a huge amount of devices. I'm sure Microsoft will eventually counter this as well with some kind of alternative.

As for choosing a platform, it's important to always look at the other games available as well, then make a decision from there. I see a lot of people jump on the PC bandwagon that build powerful rigs but end up only playing League of Legends or Dota 2. Similarly, I've seen people purchase a PS3 solely to play The Last of Us.
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    Can not wait for it, had such a blast with Arkham City, didn't try Origins, no Rocksteady = no dice.

Only a bit disappointed they didn't go UE4 on this one, would've been the proper way to kick-start the UE4 era, don't you think?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just found that interesting easter egg from Arkham City.
    http://youtu.be/RNW7ow_JV-0
    There's also the
    Harley pregnancy thing
    which they're presumably going to have to address.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't you hear her singing to a baby over the ending credits if you marked the pregnancy test in the game?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah. Seems like a bit of a cop-out really.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    NEED TO GET MYSELF A DESKTOP BEFORE THIS GAME IS OUT.

Also I second the idea of having either red hood in the game or having a standalone game of his own, it'd be bloody awesome.
  • glottis8
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Can't. Wait. HNGNGHGNGNG!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    my body is ready!
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    a litte bit too much "unreal engine feeling" but overall really cool...
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Looks really cool, the art team is definitely on point. I'm very excited about this. I wonder how the batmobile will be utilized in gameplay.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that was soo awesome! I may actually have to get a new console!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Very, very impressive visuals.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I've said it before, this is the title that is making me get a PS4. Nothing else that has come out for either the Xbone or the PS4 have really made me run out and grab one, but this sure is. Looks amazing so far.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Well, Unreal Engine 4 could definitely improve workflow, but from what I've heard... UE3 is more than enough to make awesome next gen games on PS4 and Xbox One, and it's going to be cheaper to license. A modified version of UE3 can do miracles.

I'm totally fine with a modified version of UE3 for Batman: Arkham Knight. The only problem I ever had with UE3 is that for most games the mouse inputs, aiming or whatever isn't smooth at all and I'm surprised they haven't fix it by now already, since UE3 is supposedly designed for shooter games in the first place (UT3, GoW, etc.).

And at this point, graphics are getting stagnant. Most companies will probably take the time to create their own Game Engines. So in a way, I think UE4 will only be good form mid-size studios that aren't too small, but not big enough to make their own game engines. Or they'll stick to UE3, so... yeah. I don't know what Epic Games will deal with this.

Royalties for UDK =25%
    Royalties for UE4 = 5%
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And at this point, graphics are getting stagnant.
    wat
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    People say this every gen yet there's always a big leap around the corner.

Go watch any major CG movie from the last decade and it's obvious video games are very very behind the times.

Even now, stuff like global illumination and ray tracing can't be done in real time. That's a long way from stagnating.

Does this mean all video games are bad? No. I have a 3DS and can mostly tolerate the PS2/Gamecube graphics. Would I want every game to look like PS2 graphics if there's more power available? Never.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of the CG advantage is due to having enough time to render the 'real' thing and at a very high precision. Games need to fit into 30 or 60fps so they need to use approximations: normal mapped impostors instead of detailed meshes with displacement, shadow maps and lightmaps / light probes instead of raytraced shadows and lighting, post process AA instead of proper supersampling, and so on.

The source asset quality is, however, right next to movie quality. It's now common to build 20-50 million poly sculpts for ingame characters, using the same tools that a VFX studio has (I think even Mari is getting looked into at some studios). It's just that the result has to be 'compressed' to work well enough in real time.

It's also common to use 3D scanning, performance capture, and we're starting to see some more complex realtime cloth physics as well.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Still waiting for the time when we can store all of Avatar's files on a phone and render the whole film in under a second
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like Arkham Knight is having some massive problems on PC and has been pulled from steam. From the sound of it they pushed it off to a 3rd party to port it. Why they did that I will never understand

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-knight-voluntarily-being-taken-off-s/1100-6428434/
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's the same third party who did the City and Origins ports. Rumour has it they had a miniscule amount of time to get The port of Arkham Knight up and running, hence why it's so broken.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This is honestly one of the reasons I moved the consoles. I always enjoyed gaming on PCs, but I'd rather take a graphical hit, and have fewer issues. This message is not sponsored by consoleVsPC arguments. I honestly feel bad for PC gamers.

So far, I've really been enjoying this on the PS4. The fighting has some awesome new moves/counters, I really enjoy moving around the city now, and the batmobile is pretty awesome.
    I think my only 'complaint' is I don't like how they configured the 'battlemode' controls for the batmobile. I'd rather press a button, and have it stay in battlemode, until I press it again (or drop out on acceleration). On the PS4, L2 is commonly 'brakes', for most driving configurations; not square. So, whenever I want to stop, it goes into battlemode instead.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    notman, I'm not sure if you can change that setting on the console but one of the options on PC is to set the battletank mode to toggle. Might be there for you too.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    rube wrote: »
    notman, I'm not sure if you can change that setting on the console but one of the options on PC is to set the battletank mode to toggle. Might be there for you too.

I was thinking, as I typed, that I forgot to look into options. I actually just want the button changed (which hopefully is an option). I just assume that holding the square (if I swapped with L2), would be a pain, and that's why they chose L2. If toggle is an option too though, maybe I can switch buttons, and enable toggle. I'll check tonight.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    It's one of the worst PC ports i have ever played since Assassin's Creed Unity, but at least i can play it fairly well with all the options in "normal" (45-60fps). I'm going to wait for a patch because this is the first time the console version looks better than the PC version.

In the internet there are several comparisons and the PC version lacks AO, and too many effects we already had in Batman Arkham Origins.

It's a shame, but well, another bad story that will be written in the history of PC videogames.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Blaizer wrote: »
    this is the first time the console version looks better than the PC version.

it's apparently by design: http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/June-23-Update-on-PC-Performance-PLEASE-READ-FIRST/m-p/572903#U572903

"Expected: 30fps (capped). The Recommended Spec is intended to deliver an experience on par with the current generation of gaming platforms."
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's apparently by design: http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/June-23-Update-on-PC-Performance-PLEASE-READ-FIRST/m-p/572903#U572903

"Expected: 30fps (capped). The Recommended Spec is intended to deliver an experience on par with the current generation of gaming platforms."

da faq ? why. That defeats the entire purpose of buying it on the PC. I buy games on PC to be superior is visual fidelity and fps then on console
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Put in around 19hrs so far and just finished the main story, moving onto the side stuff.
    This game is up there with the other two Rocksteady games, although Asylum will forever by my favourite because of it's linear nature. I did like the more darker story in Arkham Knight though.

I think the game suffers somewhat because of the batmobile taking such a huge role in the game, the city feels dead and empty. I think having the batmobile missions has separate missions would have worked better.

The PC version is pretty much a mess at the moment and makes some of the missions unplayable because of the stutters when driving. Good luck doing those firefly missions with the game stuttering at every turn.
    Had to reduce all the gfx options on numerous missions involving the batmobile to reduce the stuttering.
    The Harley DLC actually runs a lot better than the main game, which takes place outside of the open world which makes me think the stuttering is related to streaming.

Game is full of issues and bugs at the moment, despite the game being great itself. It's hard to recommend on PC. I don't know how this could be released in that state it has been. Hopefully this gets fixed and the missing effects are added.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    It's the same third party who did the City and Origins ports. Rumour has it they had a miniscule amount of time to get The port of Arkham Knight up and running, hence why it's so broken.

As far as I know, they had nothing to do with Arkham City. They only did Origins, and that game was also a mess. Apparently, they (Iron Galaxy) have a very poor track record and have mainly dealt with ios and console games.

The original question remains...why would Warner Bros in their right mind right to outsource the development of the PC version of a Rocksteady game? It reeks of big publisher incompetence. Also given all the advertising I am seeing around LA, its clear they put more money on tossing up adverts on every corner than making sure the game is actually good on the PC.

It is also obvious they knew about the lack of quality taking place, since the only review codes (and "coincidentally" advertising on social media) given out was only for the PS4 version. Deal with Sony perhaps?

This is why some people really start hating consoles, because they have this kind of negative effect when mixed with big publishers who have a skewed business sense.