Home General Discussion

Dyslexic men make great Artists

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Moltar polycounter lvl 7
I want to share this link with all our dyslexic artists. Myself being dyslexic.

I used to think of dyslexia in a very negative way and often referred to myself as an idiot because I struggled to read at school, but I never stopped to think of the positive things until recently, nor did I even notice the benefits.

I excelled at spacial memory. I would see an object and remember it's exact shape, color, and where I seen it years later where others forgot all about it in days. I could travel a maze (no matter how big) and remember the exact path I took if I turned around and headed back to the entrance (this actually happened, also this is a huge benefit in Diablo1-2-3 and POE, I never get lost, ever).

I could list many benefits of dyslexia which you can google but for those of you who don't understand dyslexia, the simplest and quickest way I could explain it to you would be like this: We rely completely on memory, how words look instead of how they sound when you spell them, we remember a persons face but forget their names the same day. Ask any dyslexic person to spell or pronounce a word they have never seen and I guarantee they will struggle. But ask a dyslexic person for directions or what someone was wearing last week and you wont be disappointed.

This simple way of life has helped me so much with 3D work. I can take a look at a reference image or concept art and redesign it in my head before I put pen to paper or mouse to Max. This has been dubed "visuospatial" and it's the strongest asset a dyslexic person can deploy. Everyone has visuospatial abilities but a dyslexic persons ability is very high. This ability has also gave me a strong advantage with creativity in my designs because I can picture what I want to design in my head so clearly, then all I do is draw or model.

I feel that many dyslexic people think of themselves as idiots or rejects but nothing is farther from the truth. Yes we might struggle with words all our life but some of the worlds greatest designers, Sports car racers, engineers, builders, architects and Game designers are so utterly dyslexic they can't even spell the word.

IF you have ever felt like this gift has been nothing but an anker in your life, I strongly advise you to read about your abilities and put them to work because you will excel above others in the same field.

The link > http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/education-the-art-of-being-dyslexic-1280776.html

You should read others too, the above might be short but there have been entire books wrote about dyslexic artists that inspired me so much.

Replies

• Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Cool story bro. However, I find this sexist sense I see nothing about dislexic women being good at art.
  • ichase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ichase polycounter lvl 4
    I am dyslexic as well and I have always excelled in my art classes over classes that involved reading. My father is the same way only he somehow overcomes it with being an engineer where there is a high amount of reading involved, more power to him.

I Recall a fun story about a history class I attended ( while i thought i was going to be a history teacher ) and the first day of class the teacher asked to have someone draw the continents of the world on the dry erase board. Naturally I raised my hand first as an art hobbyist and second as a social studies / history major. I started to draw, and got really into it, trying to create contoured lines to represent coastline and I even threw in some island formations i remembered ( small ones, i drew all the big ones like Hawaii and the Philippines type ), Afterword i turned around to my teacher stumbling over word and he said hastily "well... well... that wasn't the point I was trying to make... but its a very good memory of the world. What my point was going to be was that people from the US always draw the US bigger than the rest of the continents, because that's how americans think and it happened every year prior to this."

I also found out from my mother who has a friend who actually ran the study that helped dyslexic people read easier. The study was about different colored transparent sheets of plastic that enabled the reader to have a higher disconnect from using their memory and actually reading. each person has a different color that helps them do this. The study was successful as well.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    yes you guys are the best artists
  • littleclaude
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    As a result of Jane Graves' and Dr Steffart's research, the way that dyslexic students are being taught at the college has now dramatically changed.

Concrete and visual ways of explaining are used wherever possible. For example, instructions are presented in the form of diagrams, or lecture notes and essay plans are laid out as patterns.

To be fair this is true of any teaching material in any discipline, regardless of the students being dyslexic or not.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    link : cool

what you wrote : wat
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    Cool story bro. However, I find this sexist sense I see nothing about dislexic women being good at art.

Dyslexic women are good at art too, obviously, my best friend who is female and dyslexic is an amazing artist. But for some reason studies show that spacial memory works better in dyslexic men. That said, the opposite sex has a better memory, can speak better and spell better than men among many other advantages.

I titled the thread the same as the topic of the post i linked, I wasn't intending to be sexist.
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7

what you wrote : wat

"What" :poly124:
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, but do dyslexic men make great lovers?
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    Yes, but do dyslexic men make great lovers?

Not only do we make great lovers (in a brilliant relationship for 6 years now) we also make great pancakes.
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6