Home General Discussion

Overwatch - Team Arena Shooter by Blizzard

Replies

• Jesica_ob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »

I had a ton of fun playing when I got the chance; there were some annoyances here and there but in regards to map size (I'm sure someone else will have a better answer) they felt pretty compact. That being said if you died and re spawned it did feel like it took AGES to get back into the action haha. So maybe a mix? Not super huge though...kinda felt blood gulch sized.
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    Of course Overwatch characters are awesome and I deeply grateful for guys who show their galleries of models and concepts. But environments and props are also incredible so can someone show what he made for this game?
  • Flight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great (as always from Blizzard). I'm sure it's going to do well. Not feeling it myself, too much comic book generic character stuff to get me excited. No doubt I'll try it.
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Inpw wrote: »
    Of course Overwatch characters are awesome and I deeply grateful for guys who show their galleries of models and concepts. But environments and props are also incredible so can someone show what he made for this game?

Thx! Appreciate it! I just updated my site, it's just some of the official shots: www.philipk.net

Bram has also put up some stuff: www.brameulaers.net
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    OMG PhilipK, thank you! You and Bram are rockstars.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I really dig the environments. What I've seen of the weapons also looks really nice! And great sense of use of colors all around.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Of everything, I like the use of colors the most.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    I'm curious how much of the texturing is generative (SD, DDO) vs completely hand painted. My guess is a lot is generated, but with a lot of painted masks and good source models.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think judging a game before it's out (artwork aside) is a smart idea, we know how cheap that road is.

At the same time, just because Blizzard is making it, doesn't mean you should swear allegiance to it, a company is not your friend, nor the game will function is the same meta always.
  • Stinger88
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Haha, those Youtube comments, one of them is "They took our Dota, we take their Fortress".
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    I really can't wait to run through these levels, the art is ridiculous - palettes, lighting, composition, the whole fupping lot!

Not sure I get all the cynicysm though; it would have been easy to look back at every golden-era Blizz release and draw the same kind of conclusions.

Warcraft was just a warhammer/lotr themed Dune2
    Starcraft was just the 40k Space Marines, Tyranids and Eldar reskin
    WoW was just a Warcraft themed Everquest/Star Wars Galaxies
    Hearthstone was a Warcraft themed Magic: The Gathering

Every one a phenomenal game and huge success and totally grew in scope way beyond those initial comparisons. I'm hopeful Blizz can bring that Apple-style perfection and polish to this concept too.

And again, looks amazing already, just from the art!
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    'Generic'... lol

I'm glad most people think this is a starting point for generic these days if that's the case, because what I'm seeing is some pretty fkin fresh designs. Can't wait to see how people will accept this when it gets 'crazy' at any point.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Bump!

Thx moof :)

We just announced some new content at Pax East :

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/

11008448_446032255554588_4912344123146411795_n.png?oh=32f4708acdd86905b5b774723ed43e8a&oe=558F063D&__gda__=1433683124_fd14f8d9a7b337b838d84c0f85b688d5
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Holy shit, Zarya. After looking at her class abilities, and her little splash of nail polish, I think I'm in love...
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Holy shit, Zarya. After looking at her class abilities, and her little splash of nail polish, I think I'm in love...

She reminded me of that anime version of superman instantly and i had to laugh XD

IHhWRrs.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Here's Stars impressions vid. Im quite glad that he thinks its very different to TF2. Beta in "fall" though.... far too long to wait.... :(

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwXsUvgxfNI[/ame]
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I love Zarya's design! You guys did a great job. She has some awesome abilities too.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Love the art style of this game, not to sure about the gameplay but i wont know until i try it.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    :D So fun seeing everyone's reaction to the game. Gj team!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump with a few gameplay videos!

We will be releasing more very soon :)

(I'd advice you to watch them directly on youtube since they provide the 1080/60fps versions)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Yh_YywD-U[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJA1DVxDAdI[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkoRX2n9TSA[/ame]
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    zenyatta is badaaaasss !!!! so far fav gameplay character. This is looking gorgeous !!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    this looks so freaking good. I can't wait to play it.

that being said, where is my beta key? WHERE IS IT

AHH
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    bounchfx wrote: »
    this looks so freaking good. I can't wait to play it.

that being said, where is my beta key? WHERE IS IT

AHH

Beta doesn't start until this fall if I'm not mistaken. =/
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx guys :)

We just release the Hanzo gameplay video :

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PB4g3TVRuQ[/ame]
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    fucking cool!!! want to play so bad :)
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Very neat character designs for sure, I'm just not feeling what I'm seeing for the gameplay to be anything in terms of fun. Some of the same feelings towards the overall look of the game.

Just feels very old and dated, definitely has an artistic flare for its design. But the final polish to a game like this vs Valves Team Fortress 2 just feels unfinished/not alive and not much thought put into... (What's the point of Blizzard spending so much money on a game like this again? feeling...) Just my first impressions so far.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Matt Fagan wrote: »
    I'm just not feeling what I'm seeing for the gameplay

I duno Hanzo's gameplay video looked pretty neat with the strong focus on verticality.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    beefaroni wrote: »
    I duno Hanzo's gameplay video looked pretty neat with the strong focus on verticality.
    The verticality is neat, yes. But everything else, I could get just the same from any other team arena shooter. I am just not seeing in where the billions $ Blizzard makes, is going to with their products. Other than hiring very expensive artists, and other talents. To make things visually interesting, and vibrant. Though not at all inventive beyond what has been done already.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Matt Fagan wrote: »
    The verticality is neat, yes. But everything else, I could get just the same from any other team arena shooter. I am just not seeing in where the billions $ Blizzard makes, is going to with their products. Other than hiring very expensive artists, and other talents. To make things visually interesting, and vibrant. Though not at all inventive beyond what has been done already.

just look at what blizzard did throughout its history, was it ever that innovative? or rather, taking an existing concept and polish and polish and polish it for the massmarket?
    this is not only about the recent history, blizzard games usually have a lot of mass appeal and polish/quality and this is totally not because they innovate for the sake of innovation. they do their fair share, in details, but in a grand scheme they always have been more of a safe bet, bringing fresh air and quality into existing genres.

blizzguys, call me a fanboy, i love it. It looks great and like it plays very smooth and might bring me back into shooters, which i did not play in years. we will see, but so far it looks fun and feels just a tad more casual. i am too old to play the hardcore stuf, i got work to give me a carpal tunnle syndrome f :D

my only complaint is, that the levels look kinda angular, and could be more organic in times. but i also admit that this might be much harder to balance, also thats just my personal taste, i usually prefer more organic approaches to leveldesign in games
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Neox wrote: »
    just look at what blizzard did throughout its history, was it ever that innovative? or rather, taking an existing concept and polish and polish and polish it for the massmarket?
    this is not only about the recent history, blizzard games usually have a lot of mass appeal and polish/quality and this is totally not because they innovate for the sake of innovation. they do their fair share, in details, but in a grand scheme they always have been more of a safe bet, bringing fresh air and quality into existing genres.

thats it exactly !

and whats really a big point :
    every blizzard game has superb controls
    it runs very smooth and is just awesome to play. animations and controls go hand in hand. positioning and targeting are spot on too most of the time

this is something that can kill any great game if poorly made
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I'm looking forward to this, though one thing keeps bugging me whenever I see gameplay videos. Whenever I watch the videos they've released, I have a very hard time identifying which characters are on which teams. I think it boils down to a couple of specific things that seem like they'd be pretty easy changes to make:
    1. I think the characters would read much better as being on one team or the other if they had team colors, much like Team Fortress 2 or older team based shooters like Unreal and Quake
    2. I think it would also be much easier to see who's on which team if the playable space had more consistent, even lighting. There are a ton of dark areas that make it hard to identify characters
    Granted, I haven't played the game yet, so I don't know how much of a problem this stuff will be at launch. It does concern me a bit, though, since TF2 seemed to have solved these problems years ago and team identification is very rarely an issue in that game.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really get a super strong TF2 vibe from these gameplay videos. I hope they're innovating enough to stand out ...
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I really get a super strong TF2 vibe from these gameplay videos. I hope they're innovating enough to stand out ...

When I got to play it at Blizzcon 2014, it definitely had enough innovation and "freshness" to the genre that I needed to be hooked immediately. Sure it definitely takes a lot away from TF2, but just like past titles like Hearthstone and Heroes, they took an existing, well established genre/game and made it just that much better. I feel they did that with TF2. Its the TF successor I think a lot of us wanted. So much diversity in character design/gameplay and overall fine tuning that the gameplay needed to make it feel like a new experience built upon something a lot of us already loved.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    First things first, the art looks pretty darned good.

That said, from the videos I've watched thus far, I haven't been very excited by the gameplay. It's impossible to really judge without getting my hands on the controls to truly judge the fluidity of a match, but I have have little doubt that it will feel really nice at release.

What's lacking in the videos, in my opinion, is a soundtrack. Add two fist-fulls of quality tracks and I feel like the gameplay will instantly feel faster and more energetic (and as such, more palatable for viewers).

I'm interested in the beta, as I'm really curious to see how it feels.
  • derphouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    derphouse polycounter lvl 4
    Game looks awesome! All that lovely feedback that can keep your eye on the ball. Though, I am curious how much you as an opponent can hear the enemy ults? I noticed Hanzo's is quite apparent, which makes sense, but I'm wondering about someone like McCree. Would I be able to hear an ult coming, if I was facing the other way?

Another thing. I'm pretty confident the gameplay videos are against AIs. The lack of awareness is... questionable :P
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Mercy Got headshot in the feet by hanzo at some point.. CSS much.

Anyway can't wait for this game, I like those kind of fps way more than a conventional one. My only complaint would be the weapon switch, I like when you can have a choice between range, melee or special ( like the healing sceptre that mercy got or the turret etc.) I hope (and my wallet hopes not) that there will be way to customize character.
  • Skinpop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    hanzo with the western nose and typical "honor" talk trope is such a sad tiring concept. it's like designers don't even try these days.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I just think some of the normals, mostly this one :

MFh2Twn.jpg

Looks alot like they painted the normals by hand instead of doing a full sculpt. Kinda like Copernicus did on some of their textures? The first picture looks like just the normals and then a tiling texture. While the other part looks more like someone painted normals on top of a handpainted texture :) ( they're both the same normals (but flipped?) but used with different base colors?)

It just caught my eye, I don't know if it's true, obviously! But damn everything about Overwatch looks really good!

...There's such a thing as painting normals? Or is that just like surface sculpting?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    You can paint a normal map yes. Involves lots of color picking from a mat sphere usually.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or use something like Substance/nDO ... lay in black and white squares, convert to normal map.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Or use something like Substance/nDO ... lay in black and white squares, convert to normal map.
    Yeah but ndo is more of a shortcut to getting a reasonably accurate normal map without having to bake from a high poly mesh. Painting normals is more of a stylistic decision to get unrealistic lighting from a normal map.

Edit: Technically you could model anything that you could paint I guess, but it would require exploiting the baking projection and building your mesh like it's an optical illusion. For irregular/organic surfaces that's not a very practical choice.

So I guess they're both sort of shortcuts, different objectives though.

Idk
  • Renaud Galand
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    The gameplay video I was personally waiting for, the hype is real right now.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Looks awesome and I cant wait to give it a go!

However, as an addicted TF2 player waiting for TF3 (or the next bext thing), I have a few little concerns. I'm not sure it'll have the variety I like (class loadout and weapon choice, game modes, etc). Maybe in time with DLC and such, variety will be added.

The gameplay looks sluggish, Tracer is obviously the "Scout" class, so you expect her to be the most agile, Yes, she warps about but other than that her movement feels slow. maybe its the lack of double jump and flying about like crazy thats missing, or maybe another class will be more like that?...

EDIT: actually, just looking at all the character trailers so far, they all seem to move at the same speed. Maybe the bigger characters will be even slower?

Also, is it just me or does a gameplay trailer where the player NEVER dies (unless I missed it) makes the game look unbalanced and that class totally OP getting a 50+ killstreak... I expect a LOT of kids will be wanting to play as Tracer after this vid.

That said, I'm still stoked about the game and hope that it can be the next thing i'm addicted to...
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    *watches play-through* Dear god, again I'm seeing this disturbing trend of highlighting the enemy with bright red markers.

Will it ever end?
  • Renaud Galand
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Been a Blizzard fanboy forever, this game looks sooooo good... I can't wait! You guys are doing an amazing job with art and design of all the heros! :)

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm really happy studios are embracing 60 FPS videos! especially for an FPS. Hopefully trailers and cinematics start getting 60 FPS as well.
  • Renaud Galand