Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Supernatural Ninja For College Game (UE4) WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
hey so I am the only 3d artist in the team so i have had to create every 3d model for the game and now i have to create the main character i prefer to create environment stuff and thats what im better at so any help will be great for this piece.

bit of background on the character:
he is part of a ninja clan that is given supernatural powers by a Japanese demon in order to further his cause.

here is the concept i was given
concept.jpg

here is a small mood board i put together
moodboard.png

as he is the main character im going to put a bit more detail on him other than whats in the concept such as the sickle and chain and kuanis etc. I will also make it so that the mask can come off.

will start working on the model tomorrow.

Any help along the way with this will be great, i only have a maximum of 2 weeks to get this done as well.

Replies

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Cool! Here's my thoughts:

In general, I'm not seeing a large amount of correlation between your mood board and the concept you've been given. Granted, the concept isn't at a professional level, so it's hard to tell what materials you're working with. I think that that means that you'll just have to work harder on your end to fill in the blanks.

In particular, what kind of material is the red cape part made of? What material is the white strips on his arm (where the daggers are coming out)? What will his mask be made of? What about the big weapons strapped to his back -- what is it and what does it look like?

I also have some questions about the concept in general. Why is the main character white if the story centers around Japanese folklore/traditions? Also from an efficiency standpoint, I'm curious about why his mask needs to come off. Is this going to be part of a gameplay/story element?

Best of luck! Looking forward to following your progress on this.
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner wrote: »
    Cool! Here's my thoughts:

In general, I'm not seeing a large amount of correlation between your mood board and the concept you've been given. Granted, the concept isn't at a professional level, so it's hard to tell what materials you're working with. I think that that means that you'll just have to work harder on your end to fill in the blanks.

In particular, what kind of material is the red cape part made of? What material is the white strips on his arm (where the daggers are coming out)? What will his mask be made of? What about the big weapons strapped to his back -- what is it and what does it look like?

I also have some questions about the concept in general. Why is the main character white if the story centers around Japanese folklore/traditions? Also from an efficiency standpoint, I'm curious about why his mask needs to come off. Is this going to be part of a gameplay/story element?

Best of luck! Looking forward to following your progress on this.

yea its very hard to see what im supposed to be working with wich is why im able to have a lot of choice as to they final outcome, it just has to be based off this concept.

im thinking the scarf/cape part will be light cloth like material not quite chosen an exact material yet.

the white stripe apparently was supposed to be metal all the way down but i told them that didnt make sense becuase he wouldnt be able to move and stuff so the kunai which is what those knives are supposed to be will be strapped diagonally on his chest.

the weapon strapped to his back is the sheath to a normal samurai sword which is far too big for that so im able to design my own sword for the character which i still have to do the sheath will be simple though so i can do that then create the sword at the end as well as the sickle weapon.

i forgot to say he is white in the concept because he is half Japanese and half american apparently so thats what colour he chose, I will need to sort that in texturing. he takes on more of his fathers(american) body shapes wider jaw, taller etc.

the mask needs to come off because that will be the front cover of the game a high quality render of him standing holding his mask

the game is not super realistic either so i can have some artistic licence when it comes to stuff and the supernatural element allows for me to create stuff that wouldn't normally be around in that time period like the boots for instance that look a bit more modern i wont be doing the trainer bit at the bottom though.
    :)
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick block out of the top half, just puting in some shape you obviously wont see his chest due to his armor but it means i know whats underneath.

about to start on the bottoms. then I will extract the shape of the chest piece

01.jpg
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress for today

need to work on the face a bit more, im not good with mouths haha

got a good bit of work done on the vest looks too much like something a biker would wear though so need to fix that and I got the main shapes of the trousers in.

bit of work on the arms done too

02.jpg
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone help me on the face? something doesnt feel right and im not sure what it is
    03.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you need to take a step back and actually use references and not model from your head. Also study the image planes of the head, those help out alot to understand the underlying bone structure and overall proportions :)

https://www.google.pt/search?q=facial+image+planes&es_sm=93&biw=1280&bih=939&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Ik5SVYXuHMbfU7-NgcgM&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Hope i have helped !
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, i did start by planing off the face using that google search. and im using the reference pics above but i just cant put my finger on whats wrong, i think the eyes? not sure maybe a few things haha
  • supremedalek925
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supremedalek925 polycounter lvl 10
    I think it would help define the shape of the head better if you exaggerate the planes of the head, using the asaro model as reference.
    asaro_head_by_miqua-d67jpti.png
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    went back and re done some things like re planed the face like you suggested and put the detail back in. this is where i am just now, wont be able to work on it until the weekend now i think. still got the boots to do completely and the metal parts for the mask and head
    04.jpg
    05.jpg
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    You dont have a very good shape for the skull and there is no structure for the ears which is no problem if he is going hooded. Looks like you could use the practice though. The whole face is full of sinks or depressions like you used the smooth brush over the whole thing. You can see that specially around the mouth which lacks volume and pinches at the corners. The character has no lips to speak of and those lips are not sitting on each other convincingly. I dont see that you have made use of the face planes provided in an earlier post. The overall proportions are pretty good which makes me think you just built on top of an already available base mesh. I think if you enjoy this kind of thing you could make a lot of anatomic studies to up your character sculpting awsomeness :)
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks thats what i needed :), ill go back and start again I guess. the mesh was actually extruded out of a dynamesh sphere i didnt use any pre made base mesh. I seen hoe to do it this way in a digital tutors tutorial a while back using zbrush and 3dsmax, cant remember what it was called at the moment.

I think i will leave the ears just now though due to being on tight time frame but i will definetly go back and do them at at a later part or m,aybe just do some studies on it later on.
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bit of progress with the face, started again basically used more reference images and the planes of the face, i think it looks a lot better now, still working on it though

06-head.jpg
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think im pretty much done with the face maybe tweak the eyes some more.
    quick question should I sculpt in the skin detail or get a normal map out of the texture?

07-head.jpg
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    You're going to wnat to sculpt in the details and then bake them down.
    When is this due?
    if its not due anytime soon, a few more hours on the head will not hurt, because it still looks a bit off .
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought so but I'll be projecting a realistic texture onto it so the details won't match will this be an issue?

What would you say is making it look off.
    I need it to be finished no later than a week and a half ideally.

I think maybe spend some more time on the mouth it kinda looks a bit big maybe
  • BCos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BCos polycounter lvl 7
    I apologize, because this post will not be feedback on your model, but rather your priorities.

What will deliver THE ABSOLUTE MOST VALUE towards your player's experience? If your answer is "the material on the vest looks realistic" or "the head looks right" then you are focusing on the right task. But as the only 3D artist on the team, you need to be in charge of determining the vast majority of art-related priorities. A finished game has nearly an infinite amount of art-considerations you could be distracted by, and it's up to you to identify the core ones that will make/break the game experience.

As this is a school project, I would simplify your art style considerably. I'm unsure of your production time-frame, but if this is something to be done in a semester, or even a year, there are likely FAR more things that will require your attention.

Some things to consider:

Where will the camera be during play? (if it's behind the main character model 90% of the time, facial details won't really matter)

Does the model truly need a high-poly/normal map to effectively convey immersion to the player?

How many other character assets need to be modeled/implemented?

Does the environment art perform well in-engine?

Who is doing the animation?

How many animation loops will be necessary to implement?

Do you already know how you'd actually rig a sickle and chain? (or is it just a asset to have on his hip or something?)

Have we (the team) successfully implemented character assets (including animations triggered by player input) into the engine?

These are all concerns that should play into your time-management, and frankly (as a past-student who has also been the solo-artist on a project) I don't view having a polished normal-map to be at the top of your list.

I know it's not feedback on your model, but I think you (and your game) would benefit from thinking about these considerations. I hope at least something in this has been beneficial to you. I'm wishing you the best of luck, Cheers!

(also a perfect high-poly char can always be a portfolio piece you polish up at a later time :))
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the detailed reply

Due to being the only team that is creating a 3d game using something like unreal engine ( the other teams are making a 2d game in game maker) we are aloud to only create one level to use as a sort of demo so we only have to create art for this one level. And this character is literally the second last piece to create. Its to be in by the end of June.

The animation stuff is being done by another team member and will be started once I have the low poly done while I'm creating the textures.

This guy is going on the front cover as well so it does need to be well detailed.

Everything is working great in the engine getting upwards of 100 dos on my pc and over 60 on my laptop.

Thank you for the detailed response. All the topics you mentioned were covered and thought of in our game design document and technical reference document
    :)
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almost done now, need to put in the material detail and I should be ready to start the low poly and the weapons.

for some reason the boots mirroring wasnt working so i did the stitching and stuff on one and i will mirror the other one.

08-head.jpg
    08.jpg
    08-with-mask.jpg
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I have finished the highpoly. Im going to mirror the right foot as that has the detail and i will duplicate the pouches

going to move on to the weapons unless anyone has anything to add that would make it any better?

09.jpg
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Great work so far!
    You could have some more fun on the folds.
    Cheers
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks
    I put some more detail into the folds and i have finished the low poly starting to unwrap this now.

I running out of time so textures will have to be rushed but i will go back and redo them.

10.jpg
    11.jpg

I hate retopoing fabric with lots of folds haha
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so im pretty much at the end of my time limit and i still need to do the textures for his weapon :/ ill get that done over the weakend and put a final shot of him. here is the final character apart from i need to make a few minor adjustments with the mesh, some parts are overlapping that i didnt realize

unfortunatly i cant make any big changes due to time constraints, now but im going to give better textures after the game is made so please critique and i will redo them later :)

12.jpg