Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(UE4) Bar/Lounge

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Tejay polycounter lvl 8
Hey all, been awhile since I've made a WIP thread for a project. So lets get this started with a reference sheet and block out with temp lighting. I am using the bar/lounge from Final fantasy 8 as inspiration for the idea and layout but I wont be completely following the design. I'll be starting on the walls and floor first I think.

Feel free to comment/critique or ask any questions.

referencedump.jpgWIP01.jpg

Replies

• Visceral
    Recognized it instantly, well done ! Huge fan of FF8 here and im looking foreward to seeing moore of it.
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Quick update before I call it a night. Just the wall material, in engine on standard cube...The walls have no mesh yet to place this on...

WIP02.jpg
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Quick update of some of the meshes with textures. Nothing Final of course.
    wip03.jpg
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Hp for the chair. I have the table done and baked ready to be textured as wellwip04.jpg
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    You could add more details in your pillow.

Something like that:

4207137385_e2680b2c6a.jpg

Good start btw. :)
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the advice. I had thought about using that particular pillow pattern but felt it was used a lot to make pillows more detailed. I also dont think it would suit the style of the chair itself.
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    I've redone the lighting for the scene. I've yet to make a low poly for the chair and put that in the scene. I've almost finished the stair high poly and will add them back into the scene after the normals are all baked.wip05.jpg
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Tejay! Saw this on twitter and had to come over and give some feedback. You have a great start to a scene here, lots of potential. With the lighting, the biggest thing that stand out to me is the lack of a clear focal point. There is a powerful light shinning on the piano, but the lighting on the foreground table is also very powerful and draws my attention first.

Looking forward to more!
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Skylebones, Thanks for the feed back! I'll be sure to tighten up that lighting and get the focus on the stage over all. Hopefully as i start to replace the placeholder meshes that focus will come into place better.
  • MohsenDehnavi
    nice....
    we wait for new updates...
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Oooh, looking forward to seeing more, this is gonna be good!
  • jacob07777
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Hi Tejay, some great progress so far! Perhaps you might consider making the organization of chairs and bar stools a little less perfect? Having some angled slightly or a bar stool ever so out of line, maybe a chair leg is broken and a stack of books is holding it up. Imperfections can help a scene feel more realistic and man made as we are not perfect of course :) haha
    Have you thought of a center point for this scene? There is nothing particularly outstanding visually at the moment. Some story is always nice! Looking forward to some updates!
  • domonickb
    Concept looks nice, and your workflow is good! The block out really shows what the final piece might look like, and I am excited to see the ending render
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    So quick update. I've added the mesh for the stools, chairs, stairs and some wall lamps. I've finished sculpting the booth chair and will try to get the base mesh and normals baked for that next I think.wip06.jpg
  • GrungyStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Ah something about those walls bugs me. It just repeats so much its so noticeable. Should find a creative way to kind of break them up a bit
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah I've got the same problem with the walls. I'm considering how to go about them while I finish off some more props
  • Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    maybe do like that with walls: down will stay, with the texture that you have. But the upper part of wall will be one tilable texture. Like on your references: red walls, or under a piano, you have those creamy walls. You can try that. and add them curtains or something to hide repetition.

I like te subtle lightning, but I'd try something with more contrast. and more yellowish color.

subbed.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Tejay! Really excited to see where this goes- great work so far!

The first crit I have for you is the proportions of the Tables and Chairs. Maybe its just me and I'm absolutely crazy, but I just feel like right now they are sort of miniature? They just feel like they should be bigger and "bolder"- at least compared to the size of the bar area. Again, this could just be me and you might love the proportions- which is (obviously) fine :) Just thought I'd share that because for me at least it seems a little off-putting.

Otherwise, things are coming along nicely! Will keep me eye on this one ^.^