Home Dota 2

Tom's Workshop - Newbe at large

Hello Polycount!

I'm Tom and I've been recently talked into playing DOTA2 and trying to do some custom content for it.

I just got back to modeling after 10 years of break. The last 3d software I used was 3ds max 5 and Zanoza modeler, which I've used to create cars for GTA3 and GTA:VC.

I've never been a pro and I always treated 3D graphics as a productive way of spending my time in front of a computer.

This is agreat opportunity to be here, watch your creations and read your comments - big thanks for all your effort and time put into this community. :)

It would be awesome to have a topic here, where I could share my work and count on your feedback. I am always open for criticism as I believe it will point me into the right direction.

I have already published one item - a spear for Phantom Lancer (you can see it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=301052657 ).

After the spear I was suggested to create a hammer for Omni Knight. Pics will be uploaded as soon as I get back from my office.

Replies

• EverTom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the promissed pictures.

rFKWLPL.jpg

LrtUHRB.jpg

hZeY3gp.jpg

PliAKbB.jpg

At first I made the hammer's hanndle but then decided to make just the simple qooden stake with the ribbon as it saved some space on the texture maps.

h2dEvVf.jpg

zmyGRrT.jpg

This is how it looks like now:
    tHtMy5g.jpg

3JLw9Ki.png

cJg5ZeZ.jpg

amMW7ON.jpg
    I don't really know why my textures look like LEGO when the model is in game. The look flat despite the normals. I've followed Lenny's tutorial on DOTA2 item creation and I always end up with these 'flat' results - maybe my masks are all wrong?

This is how it looks like in marmoset:

CNC2KAJ.png
  • tja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tja polycounter lvl 3
    Dont forget you have to invert the G channel on the normals.

Be sure to read valve and the polycount guides on light baking and layering with the color map.
  • EverTom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi tja,

Yeah, I'll do as you say - I need to read valve's pdf dcuments on lightning and mapping once again.

How can I invert the G channel on the normals? Can this be done with xNormal software that I use?

[EDIT]

I just found out I've already done it - Lenny Agony sets the Y parameter of normal map on minus, so thats probably it.