Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Last of Us Art dump / Rogelio Olguin

Replies

• Arthur Ramazanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    I love the tiling textures :) All the art for this game is amazing...wish i had time to play it and explore more...grrr :(

Awesome job :)
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I just finished The Last of Us a few minutes ago, what an incredible game. I wish it wasn't a console exclusive though, everybody deserves to enjoy this masterpiece. The art behind the game is just breathtaking, there were many times during the game where I simply had to stop and just stare at the scenery.

The shaders used in this game were incredible as well and I am still amazed at how realistic everything looks even though it is running on heavily dated technology. I hope to one day be as talented as any of the people who worked on this game.
  • JackDCaron
    Offline / Send Message
    JackDCaron polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome work, really appreciate you posting! My thesis partner and I have been using the art book as enviro inspiration for our piece next year.

I have a question about yours blends on the high frequency tiling textures.

Are you creating the blend in photoshop (like your horizontal tiling grass/rock texture in your examples) or is this somehow handled in the engine (vertex blending, etc.)? I am looking, specifically, at the beach scene as well as the rocks sheet you posted.

Thanks!
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    do you start the sculpts from scratch? or use a displacement map to get the main forms and then go to work?

such awesome stuff!
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    JackDCaron : The blends are done with vertex maps and masks/height maps within the shader. the only thing special was the large macro map set on different uv set.

MeshModeler : Depends sometimes I start with a displacement map quickly grabbed from sourced image from cgtextures dumped into crazybump and xulpted further and sometimes I start with a full on sculpt by hand from nothing. Just whatever is needed. Basically I try to find the quickest way to the result.
  • Armageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Armageddon polycounter lvl 5
    Could you tell us how some of the brick buildings were made? They have a very unique look. It looks like a very large real world photo texture mapped onto the buildings, with a weird vignette at the edges unlike the in-game ssao.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Armageddon : not sure which buildings you mean or what the question is. Most brick buildings are done via vertex blends. If your talking about the distant buildings in the beach level that is matte painting placed on a 3d geo to give it some parallax. If your talking about others not sure.
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    rogelio for the detailed breakdown.
    Understood some, and some did went over the head like Macro Normal Map.. I'll try to understand later again. :D
    btw, Those Zbrush models. and textures are too sweet... loveeeeeed it.
    Thanks again
  • MichaelElphick
    Fantastic stuff! I love walking around through the environments and then getting pounced on by a clicker because I'm not paying attention!
  • JamieRIOT
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Beautiful work by yourself and the rest of the ND team, incredibly inspirational.
    Yet to play the game, but can't wait to.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    id like to know which of these were started from scratch because thats insane

Also what was your process you used for adding the moss/grass on that first flat you're showing off...

Thanks!
    rogelio wrote: »
    Last dump for this Zbrush and textures :)

zbrush-temp2.jpg

texture-temp.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Hey! Really inspiring thread! I have a small question: Can you show some foliage like conifer trees with wires from closer shots? If not it's ok, I'm just curious :D

Sorry for ew. poor english.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    pure gold. thank you for the images and breakdowns. you guys/girls are rockin' it over at Naughty Dog.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • andylisk
    Offline / Send Message
    andylisk polycounter lvl 8
    One of the first things I noticed when playing the game was the amazing texture work, this is amazing!

Those rock tileables are mindblowing. :O
  • JackDCaron
    Offline / Send Message
    @cmtanko from what I understand, he uses the "macro" normal, in this case the beach normal with the paths cut into it, to fill the ground with the large shapes and because the ground is so big he uses a tiling normal on the second UV set (the sand and small rocks) to create the small details in those large shapes.

Basically the initial macro normal would have to be a large resolution to have all the sand and small rocks detail in it. Instead he kept it to a smaller resolution and created a generic tiling sand normal and layered it on top in the shader using two UV sets.

pls correct me if I am wrong here.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    guys thanks for the replies :)

Break down of one texture.

moss.jpg?w=1023

Break down of of first rock sculpt.
    -First did a flat concept of this to know it would tile in photoshop
    -did some basic height map treatment in photoshop of what I wanted and put through crazybump did a horrible looking crazybump displacement and sent into zbrush.
    -displaced it looked horrible but I used it as a general guide of where to sculpt
    -used large clay tube brush
    -trim dynamic
    -sculpted mid details
    -than small details
    -than a general noise ontop with either alpha masks or noise maker.

Most are sculpted this way. The rocks and mud are mostly 100% sculpted really the initial displacement was a guide it looks nothing like the horrible displacement.

JackDCaron : yep you got it :)

Mr Significant : those trees are not mine I think those are from somewhere else I did edits on them textures small geo fixes for my level but nothing too special. it is pretty basic conifer with a skirt geo layout.
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    JackDCaron: thanks for taking time to explain them, got that one now...
    @ rogelio: Ohhh Lotss of thanks, we are learning great things from your stuff...
    Another one, that I never never understood...
    When you use a custom mesh for terrain, Its wayyyyy to big.. How do you do the UVs ? I'm sure you cant overlap them (so no tilable texture ?) since you'd be using unique normal and texture.
    If I want to do same in UDK without using terrain, How do I do it ? (since for terrain, you dont have to do the UV thing, but in static mesh you do need that, right ?)
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Once again, proud to share the same name xD

Great job!
  • marsmotion
  • marsmotion
    if you want tiling uv's on large unique terrains one approach is to scale the uv's larger than the zero to one space in the uv editor of your application. that essentially does the same thing as tiling.

another approach is to use a set of terrain modules with collision that can be jammed together to create the larger terrain. not as blend friendly but the seams can be hidden by rocks and biome assets.
  • marsmotion
    love the idea of using a concept flat crazy bump displace to start. that's some really cool planning.
  • JackDCaron
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko

The key is using two UV sets for the same geometry. There first set is closer to the 0,1 boundaries to capture the big shapes, but the resolution will be poor. Keep in mind, Rogelio's beach normal is in fact tiling so it'll help with the outlying areas.

Laxn3Hy.jpg

Then a second UV set is created, in this case I made a tiling dot matrix texture (instead of "borrowing Rogelio's again :) ) and created a layered texture where it sits on top of the main beach normal.

17T0Vui.jpg

Then scale up those UVs to created the minute dot texture on top of the beach normal. It's a way to get the beach texture to look super detailed and like it was actually an 4k or 8k map. instead it's 512 with a small details map blended in.

Jt3XSaE.jpg

What I am wondering is how two normals can be blended correctly in Maya. Here I used multiply in the layered texture options, but I'm sure there's a different way.
  • Four6810
    Awesome work! I really like your breakdown on how you did things.

Congrats to you and the guys at Naughty Dog for making an excellent game!
  • A-Train
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Fantastic work!! I wish I had a PS3 to play the game. Such beautiful work, you guys should be proud :)
  • andybozo
    Offline / Send Message
    andybozo polycounter lvl 7
    Quite impressive work! Nice terrain, and nice idea using the smuge tool in photoshop on the macro normal for the terrain. It ends up looking pretty decent, may have to try that sometime for a quick erosion effect. While I haven't played your guys' game yet, I've been hearing great things. Lot's of amazing art work being posted on ZbrushCentral and Polycount now from Last of Us! Congrats :thumbup:
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I really am diggin' that Mat for your Zbrush sculpts? Which is it? Thanks for the breakdown. All texture artists around the globe are rejoicing everywhere. We will hail your name while making love to our wives and our sons and daughters will be named after you.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    ErichWK : As much as that sounds like an awesome praise it is creepy as hell lol. As for the mat It is just a normal mat from zbrush nothing special, I think I moved the light a bit before rendering but that was it. even the render settings are the same when you start up zbrush.

JackDCaron : nice break down pretty much that the only other differance is warping the uvs to give them directions of where those erosion went. Try selecting a couple points and do a soft selection in the uv editor rotate and warp it and see the results.
  • Pyroelk
    Some incredible work there. Definitely going to have to borrow a console for this!
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work man! This game is tons of fun! :)
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Looks fantastic, I wish I had a console to play this.

Also,
    rogelio wrote: »
    I tend to keep my programs stock and clean from extra plugins unless it starts to become a standard used thing. This helps for two reasons new plugins tend to make programs unstable and if I move to another company and that company does not have the fancy stuff well I know the main program.

^This all day^ I don't like handicapping myself with special things if I can at all avoid it.
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for sharing and the breakdowns Rogelio. Much appreciated!
    You guys did some great work :)
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Amazing work man! Great game also!
  • ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Great thanks for sharing this. Your art is truly inspiration source.
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
  • sdmitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Duuuude. If I was as good as you I would die happy. Man, your art is beautiful. How long have you been doing 3D work?
  • Felixenfeu
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    Incredible work, stunning game, thanks for posting, especially the breakdowns :D
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Awesome got plugged :)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

sdmitchell : Thanks for the praise, though I do not see myself as too special too many super talented people around. I have been doing 3D before I entered the game industry and all around 16years started when I was 15 or so. I started as a level designer doing Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Unreal, UT, Halflife, and many others till now mostly as a user making mods and stuff. (actually first game I did content for as a user was when I was 8 or so with a game named excitebike) I have done 3D professionally only like 8 years. I always loved making stuff well before I even thought this was going to be my career. I started to take my career serious when I was doing Unreal levels.

If anyone is a UT fanatic here you might remember me more as Desperado#2 I made tons of user levels since the early Unreal to UT 2004.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Rogelio, thanks for sharing your workflow, this is great. Also great to see you're efficient with your methods.

Added to the wiki!
    http://wiki.polycount.net/EnvironmentSculpting#Tiled_Cliffs_and_Grounds

Can you talk a little about how long it takes you to generate your sculpts, textures, and models? For example the erosion-channeled-sand, the moss-cliff texture, the modular rock...
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Hello Rogelio,

Thanks for posting this. Those rock sculpts are fantastic. Great work, I ended up learning something new.
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Great work. Wow Thanks for all the info.

This game is now tied with Half life 2 as my fav game of all time. :)

I still do not understand how your flowing sand texture looks so big and unique and it's only 512x512. I've read your breakdown however, the "flowing lines" normal map (macro map) doesn't look tiled at all.

You mentioned that you fixed a lot of the tiling sculpts in Photoshop to make them tile correctly. However I have read many times on the polycount forums that fixing/painting normals in Photoshop is not "correct" and the lighting won't be right.

Again. Cheers for being so generous and helpful.
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    If anyone is a UT fanatic here you might remember me more as Desperado#2 I made tons of user levels since the early Unreal to UT 2004.
    yes I do know your name and level works from ut99,tacops and ut2004 etc days:).How can i forget,all of those works were aesthetically outstanding. outstanding stuff and you're still keeping up great work :)
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    synergy11 wrote: »
    Great work. Wow Thanks for all the info.

This game is now tied with Half life 2 as my fav game of all time. :)

I still do not understand how your flowing sand texture looks so big and unique and it's only 512x512. I've read your breakdown however, the "flowing lines" normal map (macro map) doesn't look tiled at all.

You mentioned that you fixed a lot of the tiling sculpts in Photoshop to make them tile correctly. However I have read many times on the polycount forums that fixing/painting normals in Photoshop is not "correct" and the lighting won't be right.

Again. Cheers for being so generous and helpful.

The flow lines I think were left as 1024x1024 map though... It has three or four different blends ontop of it to make it not tile like grass, shrub, dirt, etc. Also the map was made with a large tile in mind so even at a normal tile rate it does not feel like it tiles. It just takes time to make sure the tile works at a far distance so it is not noticeable.

Also I warped the second uv set uvs to make the flow lines turn and blend according to the ground. and rocks on it making it even harder to see the tile.

as for editing normals in photoshop being not a thing to do... This is correct it is hard and usually leads to bad normals if your not careful. At any rate a normal map is really just directional information using rgb... If you get this concept it is possible to paint in theory a normal map... although hard... But yes you can tile them in photoshop. Or another way would be to grab a 16bit height map from your bake exporter and tile it than than process that into a normal map. many ways to take it. it really depends on your end result or use.

If you look into this very experimental method of getting normals (below linked) from real world objects you can understand that you could in theory paint a normal map or at the very least help already baked normal maps tile in photoshop. I know many people would say it is evil to clone stamp a normal map and in many cases I would say it is true, but if it works why not use it from time to time.

http://www.zarria.net/nrmphoto/nrmphoto.html

edit: I actually tried this on my own using a flash light on some house hold items and I came up with an interesting normal that actually worked... The only problem is all objects have color or material types. If you actually want to do this better in theory you would have to paint everything your normal mapping a Lambert white smooth paint... not very practical but still a nice science experiment. Or do a test the same way setting up a light rig in maya... also tested this out and I actually got a pretty damn good normal out of it. though time consuming. I like to test out lots of random stuff for the hell of it.

Eric Chadwick: thanks :) Wow at miss spellings and forum typing. I should re write that.

igi: :D nice to see some people still remember all that stuff. Was one of my fav and most fun times in games for sure.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    SO AWESOME!!!! Great job to you and everyone else who worked on such a awesome game :D
  • inchmale
    What I am wondering is how two normals can be blended correctly in Maya. Here I used multiply in the layered texture options, but I'm sure there's a different way.
    you can do it in maya.read this paper from Colin Barr
  • Potatomaru
    Offline / Send Message
    Potatomaru polycounter lvl 7
    thank you for posting this :D, it saved my butt.  I was hoping you could post some props, i really want to study the style on how and where you put the damages (dirt, grim and etc) on a prop. I mainly want to know on how to paint a prop dust on an prop.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Thanks for this post! 
  • Anton_Mendelis
    Hi @Rogelio! Your textures are so amazing! I'd like to ask you a question, maybe a little about your workflow. When you create your scenes, how many textures you create by yourself, and how many textures do you take from cgtextures, for example? How do you decide which texture you should create and which can be downloaded? =)
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @Anton_Mendelis
    I'm not Rogelio, but as far as I know that at least nowadays he's creating all materials (and textures) with Substance Designer. But back in the production of The Last of Us I guess texturing pipeline was more or less traditional Photoshop approach. But today the answer is to study Substance Designer to have a good grasp for the creation of (tileable) materials and textures.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    @Anton_Mendelis: In the past I did a lot of my textures via photoshop and zbrush.  Now I tend to do textures using substance designer and zbrush.  In the end though it is all mostly the same techniques of layering and working from big forms all the way to small forms.  I do still use cgtextures as a resource and others.  Reference is paramount.