Home Unreal Engine

Camera Actors

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

I'm curious if there is anyway to look through a camera actor within UDK... the editor.. not the game environment.

My problem being, I need a FOV greater than 90* to view my scene properly.

edit.. i should add that I'm using the latest release of UDK

edit #2.. nevermind.. i figured out what I needed. :P

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    id assume you made the camera actor then hit that little "eye" icon and then selected the camera? (just in case anyone else runs into the problem).
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    brandoom you should tell us what you did and how you got it to work so others that run into this can fix it or use your work around.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Oniram - I'm positive that is how it worked with the older builds of UDK.. I just recently updated UDK for this scene I'm putting together and this no longer seems to be the case. Clicking the eye will now "lock selected actor to camera"

Jesse - Mybad. :P

I was able to solve my issue by changing the Field of View by entering my level through the "Play Here" option in the right click menu. And then adjusting the FOV through the console.

~ to open console. and then type "FOV" followed by the desired setting. Default is 90 I believe. I needed 110 or so.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    The "lock selected actors to camera" button does help when positioning the camera but it doesn't match FOV. It also acts a little weird, I'd expect it to match the current view to the camera actor right away, but it doesn't until you click and move around, which makes fine tuning pretty tough. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but I'd love it to be more intuitive like Maya's "Look through selected" command. However, it can be very handy for lights, as you can use that button to "look through" spot lights and target certain meshes in your scene.

As for the FOV, unless there's an easier way to do it in editor, what I do is set up a quick Matinee sequence and click the little yellow camera icon to make my viewport into the matinee preview. Then you can just edit the FOV properties directly on the camera actor and avoid having to go through PIE.
  • NoirProfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right click the cameraActor you want to look through and select "Snap View to Actor." This will set the perspective view to the front of the camera. Your view will snap to the front of the camera at the same FOV Angle as the camera.