Home Unreal Engine

Terrain Help

AtomicArmy
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
AtomicArmy polycounter lvl 10
Hello Polycount, I recently sculpted and imported my first terrain in UE4, which ran smoothly (Based in Vietnam). However, I was wondering how to create a terrain similar to the ones in Battlefield 4 where the terrain looks infinite and I'm not sure how to go about doing this in UE4? I just can't seem to get the terrain right according to scale. Some help will be greatly appreciated! :)

4YpDDo.png

5nNCrC.jpg

Replies

• repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Not sure what you mean:

Op1:You can create a huge map up to 8k

Op2:You can create a huge map made up of smaller terrain segments

Op3:You can add mountains in the background (low poly meshs) that adds the effect that the terrain is larger than it actually is, means the play area is fixed or you have to keep loading new play areas as the player progresses = immersion killer.

Below is probably the most efficient for large terrains in combination with the UE4 terrain LOD system.

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/World_Machine_to_UE4_using_World_Composition

**NB** One large 8k map will work but the rendering times for any erosion or the likes will be massive in your terrain creation software.
  • AtomicArmy
    Offline / Send Message
    AtomicArmy polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you for helping me! Yes, creating extremely large terrains is what I mean. I apologize that I wasn't clear enough. I will give world machine a try!