Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard Inspired Cinematic

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Turret polycounter lvl 11
Update:
After having to take a break from this project I am getting back to work on it. Here are some BPR renders from Zbrush of the current progress on the models. Did another pass on the wizard's face and made some stand in hair to make sure everything looked right. Zbrushing on the Demon is coming along.
wyxf.jpg
dfx3.jpg

Hey everyone. Haven't made a WIP thread in a while but I have gotten together with a couple friends and we started working on a project we plan to get done before Blizzcon. It is a moving still cinematic similar to the injustice trailer that Blur made not to long ago. I will be creating the two characters in the shot, a female wizard and a demon. It will take place and draw from Blizzard's Diablo IP. More details to come later, for now I just have some characters to show.

This is the diablo Wizard concept by Josh Tallman that we will be following. Below that is the base mesh I modeled in Maya that will be taken into Zbrush, and following that is the demon that is an original design influenced by Blizzard's style.
50ln.jpg
4eku.jpg
vj0l.jpg

Replies

• Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    awesome! can't wait to see more
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro wrote: »
    awesome! can't wait to see more

haha me too. The head is missing ... what a tease :poly136:

What rendering engine will you be using?
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gyarados wrote: »
    haha me too. The head is missing ... what a tease :poly136:

What rendering engine will you be using?

Yeah I am putting off the face till the last minute because it will be the hardest thing to do. haha

We will be trying out Arnold. Heard some good things so we will see.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, Zbrushing has started. Aiming to only sculpt in major details that would require a displacement map, while all the smaller things should be taken care of with Mari and photo-sourced textures. Working on the GIANT horned shoulder armor next.
    4c4k.jpg
  • Poloboo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poloboo polycounter lvl 8
    WOW.... fantastic!

slamming this into my inspiration folder right away :)
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, horned shoulders are done for now. I couldn't help playing with some of the zmaterials. =P
    sd0e.jpg
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Kris,
    Looking pretty cool! Didn't realize this was your thread.. i think i'll follow now
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 wrote: »
    Hey Kris,
    Looking pretty cool! Didn't realize this was your thread.. i think i'll follow now

Hey, glad you like it so far, I will do my best to not let that follow go to waste. *rolls sleeves up*

Got a small update for today, just the armor around the arm. The next update will have her whole upper body put together.......except her face. =P
    3c6v.jpg
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    You have left me speechless with the concept and the sculpts. The shoulder armor looks bloody amazing and flows well with the robes. Looks really stylized and unique. I just cant find anything wrong with your work. The silhouette alone pulls me in. This screams warlock to me but maybe thats because I played WOW for so many years:\.
    Ill be watching this thread VERY closely. Keep up the amazing work!
  • Skiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
    The concept is from the D3 art-book. But I am very curious to see how this turns out.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time =) Excited to finally get the upper body all together. Remember all the very fine details like cloth threads and the leather wrinkles will be coming from the textures, will not be sculpting those. So work on the lower body begins.
    b62y.jpg
    ynt7.jpg
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    cool. Looks like you got that stitching figured out
  • StrongRum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrongRum polycounter lvl 6
    This looks like its going to be sweet! nice work on the torso ;-)
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 wrote: »
    cool. Looks like you got that stitching figured out

Yeah had to go a round about way to get it done, took longer then I would have liked. But I ended up animating a single seam around a motion path and then through a little trial and error taking an animation snapshot which basically just duplicates it around the path. Then combine. =P
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    following the thread, I love how you did the armor :)
    Looking forward to see more
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    as a big big big HUGE fan of Blizzard art I will defenitely follow your thread. Actually I am doing Blizzard fan art character myself.

Loving the current progress hope to see more !
  • YouRRaDDaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone!
    I'm Turret's roommate and will be doing the Matte Painting/Lighting/Rendering/and Comp for this project. Thought I'd post some images to show more or less where we're going with the project. The environment geo, as it stands, is more to test my projections and make sure the parallax is what it should be. Since the distance and scale are so immense a lot of the BG Geo is going to stay close to what it is now, with more sculpted and detailed environments for the closer stuff. None of the images show final poses or final framing, just wanted you to see the pose more or less and get a sense of the scale in the scene. Enjoy!
    5lwl.jpg
    csyf.jpg
    wfdj.jpg
    1h35.jpg
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    wao! serious business going on in here...

not much to say other than you're both doing an incredible job so far and I'll be sure to keep watching :D

How did i miss this thread i don't even... subbing!
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Real quick update, some work on the bottom. Should have it all done by midday tomorrow and then just the face left.
    dgiq.jpg
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, Wizard is ready to move onto the boring retopo and baking out texture maps phase. Will update once I start the demon.

vtgh.jpg
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
    Solid start guys!
    Really looking forward to see where you take this :)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    looking great ! are you going to work on the environment too ? can't to wait to see that part
  • YouRRaDDaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 wrote: »
    looking great ! are you going to work on the environment too ? can't to wait to see that part

Hey Ayoub! I'm working on the Matte Painting as we speak! A little further up in the thread I posted the starting geo for the scene and what essentially all the landmasses are going to look like. I should have an update on the first mountain range later today or tomorrow.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great ! i read that you guys going for a moving still cinematic . and you said that the environement will be matte painting so it's 2D right ? . how you going to make it on the cinematic and it's 2d . can u explain ! I'm not good with cg thing :)

thanks
  • YouRRaDDaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 wrote: »
    great ! i read that you guys going for a moving still cinematic . and you said that the environement will be matte painting so it's 2D right ? . how you going to make it on the cinematic and it's 2d . can u explain ! I'm not good with cg thing :)

thanks

Hey, no problem I'll try and break it down. They're 2D paintings, but they're projected onto 3D Geo for parallax. Since everything is so far away from the Animation Cam, and there's no lighting changes, we can get away with using a DMP. The challenge is to have enough projections to cover what we're going to see in the final shots, and to break the paintings up well enough so that everything parallaxes correctly. Again given the distance, we're dealing with what equates to a nodal pan so there's little to no parallax, but some shots call for it, so I'm covering my bases. The cliff that's directly behind the actors, and some of that closer geo, I'll go the "long route" with, and sculpt, texture, and render, since the spec and reflections are very important with those. Everything else we can "fake." I've included some pictures that may help illustrate the point.

a6wo.jpg
    This is a rough shot of the cameras in the scene. It looks like an insane amount of projections, but really there are only a couple of principal projections and the rest are patch projections to fix things like keystoning.

lvla.jpg
    This is a shot of the entire scene, and you can see the end-gate of the projection cameras. There's pretty much a solid coverage in any given direction, which is what we need.

t26k.jpg
    And this is an image of the node setup in Nuke for the parallax test. Essentially, the Images are feeding into projection nodes, and they're projecting on to the designated geo from the designated camera.

Hope this helped some. I know DMP's aren't seen too often on Polycount and the concept can be a bit confusing.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i get it ! thanks you :)

can't wait to see some progress

good luck guys
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    this is looking pretty cool.

ayoub44 - Check out if you can a bit of behind the scenes on Blizzard cinematics, they use a lot of matte paintings in their cinematics. Great use of parallax, fx and subtle animation make those matte paintings blend with the 3d in the foreground.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After having to take a break from this project I am getting back to work on it. Here are some BPR renders from Zbrush of the current progress on the models. Did another pass on the wizard's face and made some stand in hair to make sure everything looked right. Zbrushing on the Demon is coming along.
    wyxf.jpg
    dfx3.jpg