Home Technical Talk

Maya FBX exporter crash

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
The Maya 2014 FBX exporter crashes just about every other time I try to export a mesh. I've tried default settings, exporting a sphere, and it still crashes more often than not.

Anybody else have that problem, and any idea how to fix it? It's putting my UE4 experiments on hold, which is maddening.

I'm trying to export an FBX in the 2013 format, but it crashes no matter which I use. All other file formats work completely fine. I've tried to find a crash log, but I have no idea where to look.

Thanks.

[Edit]: It said it was a permissions error in the log; that it was trying to read or write to a file it was not allowed to. But I gave it all permission it could ever possibly need, and it's still crashing. Plus, I'm running it as an administrator.

Replies

• Earanak
    Same Problem... Maya 2014 x64 Windows (SP1/SP2/SP3/SP4) - FBX Crash (50%/50%) :)
    OS - Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 ENG (Updated/Clean). UAC/DEP - Disabled. Maya run as an administrator.
    FBX Preset - Default (2013-Version with Smoothing Groups Enabled).
    Joopson wrote:
    It's putting my UE4 experiments on hold, which is maddening.
    The same situation :(

P.S.
    Of course, i'm already tried 'clean' preset for FBX export. Disabled many data-parameters...
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I even tried deleting my preferences, which didn't help; also, tried deleting the FBX Exporter-specific preferences, which also didn't work.

Is there a place online to download the FBX plugin, so I can do a fresh install?
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    No one has any ideas on how to fix this, and nobody, besides me and Earanak, are having this problem? It's pretty show-stopping.

The few posts elsewhere on the internet of people having similar problems hold no solution.
  • Earanak
    Joopson wrote:
    ... No one has any ideas on how to fix this, and nobody ...
    Sad but True !

I am google this problem, but nothing found :( FBX Export has chance to crash - ~75%.

My solution :
    1.) Buy pretty Fast - SSD.
    2.) Install (OS / Maya) on SSD.
    3.) Before Export - Save scene.
    4.) Export > (Crash) > Load Again > Export > (Crash) > ∞
    5.) Repeat until you get Lucky !
    6.) PROFIT ? - :poly142:

Sometimes i get lucky and ten times in a row FBX-Export work Perfect !

UPD
    Kinda paranoid, but... I think i found some strange regularity.
    When "FBX Exporter" Window appear, i just turn (on/off) couple times "Smoothing Goups" checker.
    And... All work fine. If i just try export without "on/off, on/off, on/off" this checker, Maya immediately crash.

Hm...
  • BoxsterRS
    I've had this problem for quite a while. The only version of Maya that it seems to be okay on is Maya 2012 using FBX Plug in version 2012.1.1. Maya 2013/2014 crashes about every other export which is highly frustrating to say the least. Hope this helps anyone else.
  • Dan Allardyce
    Aare you using the OS Native or the Maya default file dialog? FBX Exporter would always crash and fail to run whenever I was using the native file dialog.
  • Earanak
    I always use "OS Native" :poly115: So the problem in "this"?

7Lsbg.png
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Well! That appears to have worked. I, too, was using OS native, since I had some ridiculous loading time issues with Maya default. I switched back to Maya default, and the FBX issue seems to be gone.

Of course, the slowness is still there, but beggars can't be choosers. I can switch back and forth, as needed.
  • Slave_zero
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Holy Shit. I nearly freaked out the other day because this shit is a serious show-stoper. How come that half the UE4 Users are not freaking out. Seems everyone uses the Maya-Dialog Style which is anyoing as hell.

I mean, I'm happy this solves the issue, I can export my meshes and work UE4! So thank you very much guys. I suggest this should be pinned somewhere. iw as searching for two days on the net, found several threads here and there with no solution. But I strangely I didn't stumble over this thread. (Note to self: Cool kids first search on polycount)

But one thing still bothers me: When I use export selected with maya default file-dialog enabled, how can I access the fbx export options? I can't access them. Strange.
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Nice! I had a feeling the is native could be to blame. Has anyone posted this on the fbx support page asking for a fix? Cause the default Maya default ain't so crash hot.

I also found that if I had the paint weights tool active on a skinned mesh when I exported it would also prevent a crash.