Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA 2] - Beastmaster - Tamarin

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    How to get test? do I just create it by following a guide that extracts the main beta files into a test folder and that's the test? I was trying to look for it all day yesterday, I must be dumb... or it's just that hard to download it from steam cause I searched steam, forums both on steam and on web.. nada.

On topic:
    I love that little sneak preview teaser image of the helmet. ;)
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    I believe you have to have access to the beta in order to download the test version of the client, it's where they first add patches before adding them to the main client in case anything breaks. It should be in your steam library. If you don't have beta access I don't think you can test in-game since you don't actually have the game :o
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    After messing with Steam app I can see the test now, the library got stuck only showing sourcefilmaker how nice was that, a whole nite lost. Thanks though.

Keep rocking op now you know how to do it too :) without the hassle I went through.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    Thank you mrpresident! (I always wanted to say that)

$!nz I really appreciate all the support you've given me. I had a look at your entry tonight and it is really solid. I always imagine when I enter a contest on Polycount that it is like getting in the pool to swim laps with Micheal Phelps or racing against Usain Bolt. There is another beastmaster set on here called "curse of the cryptids" that seriously made me consider giving up art for about 2 days. It was so good I realized that I could never reach that level. I felt like a kid with a crayon :) You have helped me to just keep working so a big thanks.

The helmet still isn't doing it...

tuese.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    @Tamarin - The helm feels too front heavy at the moment is the trouble. The horns either need to be affixed further back, curved back to balance, or made smaller.

What about some sort of element similar to the metal tines on his shoulder pad? Either two sweeping forward on the helm, or maybe one larger one sweeping back on one side?
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I have no words for that awesome response, just thank you for it.
    Could go into a long drawn out story but basically all the negativity I have am just glad I can give some good back to someone, somehow. :)

Everyone's work here even yours inspires me to continue and I don't see this as a competition we are all just sort of competing with Valve and their fan base to allow our items into the store for both a little extra $ and to provide some sort of imaginative experience for the heroes and their lore. (even though some of us like to step outside of that lore seriousness.pudge - dog hater)

---

Those textures turned out awesome I think even if your not using a normal map which I was hoping for. You could still use a normal map just to fill that slot with your base diffuse, I forget what process you have to do to generate one, maybe nDo? though I am not sure about that app as I don't use anything but straight XNormal, 3dsMax renderings.

Critic:
    Going to have to agree with stinkyhorse ;)
    I am thinking his comments about making them curve back might help the helmet out and you wouldn't have to change much though I am thinking almost ram horns and since he's beast master that works for me if I were making a beast master set.
    Good luck with it and glad I helped encourage you to continue. :)

I also felt that, about wanting to give up this entire time just got to push through that, you'll be glad you did as I am even if my work isn't top shelf.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »
    Wow, I have no words for that awesome response, just thank you for it.
    Could go into a long drawn out story but basically all the negativity I have am just glad I can give some good back to someone, somehow. :)

Everyone's work here even yours inspires me to continue and I don't see this as a competition we are all just sort of competing with Valve and their fan base to allow our items into the store for both a little extra $ and to provide some sort of imaginative experience for the heroes and their lore. (even though some of us like to step outside of that lore seriousness.pudge - dog hater)

---

Those textures turned out awesome I think even if your not using a normal map which I was hoping for. You could still use a normal map just to fill that slot with your base diffuse, I forget what process you have to do to generate one, maybe nDo? though I am not sure about that app as I don't use anything but straight XNormal, 3dsMax renderings.

Critic:
    Going to have to agree with stinkyhorse ;)
    I am thinking his comments about making them curve back might help the helmet out and you wouldn't have to change much though I am thinking almost ram horns and since he's beast master that works for me if I were making a beast master set.
    Good luck with it and glad I helped encourage you to continue. :)

I also felt that, about wanting to give up this entire time just got to push through that, you'll be glad you did as I am even if my work isn't top shelf.

You guys were both right. I curved the horn back and problem solved.

I love the pudge dog hater. That is the kind of stuff that polycount is all about. I tried to step out of line a little bit with the hair and then I backed down from comments made by DOTA2 players. I am also hoping to get some items in the store.

tuesz.jpg
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Looking pretty good, weapons look awesome! Not really a fan of the "skull cap" looking part of the helm, horns are good though. Also, how are you playing with your items in game? Can't seem to figure out how to do that.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic wrote: »
    Looking pretty good, weapons look awesome! Not really a fan of the "skull cap" looking part of the helm, horns are good though. Also, how are you playing with your items in game? Can't seem to figure out how to do that.

I will try to work something into the front of the helmet to break it up a bit.

If you scroll up a bit you can see how to do it in DOTA2 Test - instructions courtesy of mrpresident. I just found out about this method and it works great - before that I think I was close to a breakthrough using DOTA2SLASHER but I would say this method is much easier because you don't need to recompile your smd files just upload to DOTA2 Test workshop and bob's your uncle :)

I have zero ideas when it comes to naming this set. If anyone has a suggestion I would be happy to hear it.
    presentationz.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    set name suggestion: Ramster but play with ideas.

Looks great in test I want to do that now. ;)
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still here! Repainted a few textures after some good criticism from my girlfriend. My DOTA client keeps getting disk IO errors and not updating properly. Starting to get a little frustrating but noticed the last update included the new Beastmaster mesh so I'm happy to see that.

endi.jpg
    end2e.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, a handful of changes and it all snapped together. Great work man. I'm still thinking you need to carry the metal tine element from the wrist guards and shoulder to the helm somehow. Maybe strap one or two to to top of the horns?
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse wrote: »
    Wow, a handful of changes and it all snapped together. Great work man. I'm still thinking you need to carry the metal tine element from the wrist guards and shoulder to the helm somehow. Maybe strap one or two to to top of the horns?

Hey, thanks Stinkhorse. I am going to leave as is for now but your past comments helped me to continue working on the helmet. I agree that the helmet could be tied in better but I'm just out of polygons, texture space, and mostly time :)

Here is a link to the set on STEAM workshop:
    Karroch's Justice

Thanks everyone who left comments and helped me out.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to resurrect this thread because these items will be available in the next DOTA 2 update.

I had thought that they didn't make the cut, but I just received an email from Steam telling me they had been accepted - so I am really happy.

I appreciate all of the help and comments here on the Polycount forum.

I will try to link here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?searchtext=&childpublishedfileid=0&section=items&appid=570&browsesort=accepted&requiredtags%5B%5D=Beastmaster

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLgd41LPVSE"]Dota 2: Store - Beastmaster - Tribal Stone Set - YouTube[/ame]
  • RaulTavares
    Offline / Send Message
    RaulTavares polycounter lvl 10
    I've noticed the time lapse between your last post and this one, did it take 5 months for them to accept that set of yours? I thought the process would be faster...

Anyway, congratz on the add, the set is amazing :)
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks!

That is nice of you to say. There are awesome items that make it in right away - like all the winners of the contest!