Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CE3 Detective Office

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Holland polycounter lvl 9
Hello! Here's a little environment I've been slowly putting together. I'm going to really try to push and get it finished within the next few weeks hopefully.

At the moment it sort of lacks a focus and composition. I think a lot of that will be fixed by a better arrangement of props on the desk etc.

There a re still a lot of block out meshes in the scene too but I hope to get most of them done this week.

Crits are very welcome!

HSucxYw.png
l9D2L2m.png
AiIH6mA.png
NHlSs30.png
wkXtbKa.png

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir sir, let me be the first one to say that you make some good 3d.
    Have you thought about doing it professionally?

Looks cool man!
  • Ben716
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben716 polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking really nice! I like where it is heading. Maybe adding a desk lamp will help pick the desk and helping with the focal point? Looking really cool though man!
  • currve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    currve polycounter lvl 3
    Very good job, I really like the created props and architecture. The materials are very promising.
    Keep up the good work and dont miss to post to the cryengine.com community forum.
  • Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
  • MrPie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrPie polycounter lvl 5
    Lamp is life.

Nice work!
  • Apo_duck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apo_duck polycounter lvl 8
    Very good atmosphere ! Very close to a movie scene. That remember me Zodiac or LA noire.
    Good job !
    Render in Mental Ray ? Texture in substance ?
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karatekodden polycounter lvl 7
    Aah I remember this one! Nice to see that you are wrapping it up, love the atmosphere! Would also love to see one of those "green desk lamp" to add some focus around the desk. Keep it up!

Yew_Desk_With_Bankers_Lamp.jpg
  • RedSquare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSquare polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks GOD something new and it's not on UE4 :)
    Nicely done!!!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Great work, love the lighting.
  • Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    I LOVE the lighting and shadows (along with pretty much everything else). Great job. Would it be possible to add some variation to the rug? Maybe a corner flipped up or a bulge in the middle. Just a thought.
  • DanRobson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanRobson polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good!

The only thing I think is a bit jarring at the moment is the light coming in through the window. It looks really bright but the outdoor environment doesn't seem to match the brightness. Maybe its just the angle that we're seeing it from in these shots?

You could maybe add a bit more atmosphere by having a cigarette with some smoke/haze hanging around the top of the room or visible in some light rays from the window?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Nice work man, i'm glad you're on my side :D
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! Thanks for all the great comments everyone. Progress has been a little slow this week, I've mainly worked on the lighting and a few smaller props (the typewriter is very much looming in the back of mind now). The desk lamp very much helped the composition, I've yet to add wires and such.

Apo_duck- Rendered in Cryengine and textured in good old photoshop :)
    Doomathon- The rug is just a texture slapped on a plane at the moment, I'll get around to finishing it soon though.

Here's some new shots, again any thoughts and critique is very welcome.

sSGdhWx.png
    mQCfJsS.png
    m9lq1PS.png
    dPhcW0p.png
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Looks really good. Nice to see more stuff coming out of Cryengine.
  • cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
    Lighting change is a huge improvement! Very nice!
  • ARES720
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So cool to see CE-work here, especially now in UE4-times :D
    Great work btw!
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Great mood and lighting are look simple but amazing
  • gridside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great. Especially lighting. Congrats.
  • currve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    currve polycounter lvl 3
    very nice! good job at the atmosphere and you've created the green office lamp ;D
    keep at it!
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

Worked more on the lighting and color grading. Might still be a bit too dark in places :(

3C0NsPH.png
    tKGUZS9.png
    xrnifza.png
    Lr9Y1eA.png
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    sooo cool man, nicely done. Cigarette smoke is a great touch
  • currve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    currve polycounter lvl 3
    Great adjustments! The only change I'ld made is, I'ld change the translucency of the green lamp a bit, it looks a bit to bright in my eyes. Anything else is top notch!
  • acidarts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acidarts polycounter lvl 4
    Great job man
    Could we see some lighting breakdown ?
  • asyrvachev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asyrvachev polycounter lvl 8
    Masterly done. You did a very good job at capturing the atmosphere of a PI's office and the scene feels like it belongs in a film noire.

The material on the green lamp looks a bit off, though.
    Maybe too bright?
    rBVaHFTBBhmAdDKeAAJZx5apOlE973.jpg
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    Nice job
    Really love the mood
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    tKGUZS9.png

looking good, I have a few suggestions (in quick easy bullet points):

1. first off the lamp at the back of the room is too bright (its the initial focus of attention in every image it is in). I would expect the desk to be the focus (and as such is the contrast point in the room).
    a good indicator of brightness of the lamp is to compare it to the exterior window.

2. the window with the blinds as they are would give off a lot more GI lighting. it also currently gives no light to the floor (even though it would).

some suggestions on this could be to 'close' the blinds further, resulting in a more angular/fill approach to lighting inside the room. currently the blind effect creates alot of noise on the desk (which is the ideal focus of the room). softening the lines in the texture and angling it so it doesnt cut across the desk but only lights a portion (still enough to result in some nice 45 degree side lighting on a characters face with some soft detail in shadowing from the blinds)
    so as the lamp on the other side can add its warmth as a fill on the other side of the desk.

3 colourwise. personally I'd think of this scene in black and white (and would light it like that first before looking at the colour). noir look is very much defined by its low key lighting and use of directional in lighting techniques to draw focus to characters and objects (on characters mostly side lighting/mood/back lighting.
    when adding color to something like this you basically have temperature lighting (cool and warm) to add further contrast to the scene. so to define your lights at the moment.

cool - the window
    warm - lamps

the desk lamp should be in this case (how I would do it) the neutral balance between the window and other lamps.
    so the background lamps become dimmer, the table lamp becomes the fill for the window hitting the other side of the desk/character space (during the day time. once you remove the window at night the table becomes the strongest light source)

colour wise because the background lamps would be dimmer, they'd be warmer (I'd avoid using a strong orange temperature, more just a slight push from their colour now).
    desk lamp - close to white but not white

window - a cool silvery white

magenta/purple - destroys skintones, it can work when the lighting calls for it but in this scene I would avoid magenta and pink. if you are choosing a filmic look, age grading the scene (so trying to mimic the look of aged film stock) would introduce some magenta into the shadows. even with this I would make sure for a scene like this the lift is not extremely strong and you go for a very blue swinging magenta ;)

as I said I'd personally make this scene black and white (focus on the specular/gloss detail in the materials) but if you do keep the color, it might be worth taking a look at film stocks and grading for inspiration.
    http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/07/12-films-worth-shooting-theyre-gone

Rambling about grading:

a simple trick to mimicking a film stock is to look at the color of the box it comes in, generally speaking the color of the box/canister gives you an idea of the tint of that film (plus manufacturer colors also apply in general to all stock, kodak stocks give normally richer reds/yellows, whilst fuji give richer greens) however it is worth noting film can be processed and exposed in so many different ways that I normally use this approach as a base and expand on it after with the direction I want. but that is the point when you want to mimic film.

an example:
    pic_01.png
    UK-Film-Lab-Fuji-400H-exposure-test_0002.jpg

here you can see, underexposed the magenta tint to the stock is quite obvious (the box color).
    moving onto the box exposure and above you can see that whilst the magenta is certainly still there, the distinctive green push of fuji film stock becomes more and more apparent.

l_31000069.jpg
    UK-Film-Lab-Kodak-Portra-160-exposure-test_0003.jpg

Not sure I need to point this one out now. you still have the purple but it is obvious that the reds and yellows are pushed more.
    What is interesting is whilst at 2 stops above the green becomes quite prominent, when the film starts to over expose (remember as you increase exposure saturation increases), you see the green tails off (because the stock isn't that sensitive to green light it hits a peak) and the red and yellows become more dominant as they have a higher sensitivity peak in the stock.

The idea is to add imperfection to the color reproduction across lift,gamma,gain ontop of your normal grading process.

a final tip and definite do for grading is to only effect the colour in the scene (that means color only layers). do any contrast adjustments through lighting and tonemapping controls in engine. if you want to have a lift effect in the shadows then use a screen effect in engine, trust me the banding/artifacts that adjusting contrast with grading (ontop of tonemapping) can cause is not worth it.

oh one more thing if you intend on replicating a film look... look at underexposed reference for the film stock. when the film is underexposed it shows the colors/tints its sensitive too in the most obvious way which gives you your shadow end tint/color.
    you then either use the box colour method (so which manufacturer) and push those colours in the highmids-highlights (or remove/desaturate the other colors a bit if you want to avoid oversaturation)

basically the midtones are/become a mixture of the shadow and highlights effects.

4. I'd look at your tonemapping as well, as mentioned above if you want the lift effect it should be done either through this or with a separate effect in engine. the main goal is to adjust your tonemapping and exposure to create the level of contrast you want in the scene (quite often it can be useful to desaturated the scene with a saturation node when doing this and keep an eye on a histogram).

anyway I've rambled enough, I'd like to reiterate that I think the scene is already looking very good.