Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elmore Ridge - Hand-painted Environment

Replies

• HughieDM
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Love it man!
    I think your rocks will be really cool, but I think size ratio need to be adjusted a bit more to them maybe try to very the size a little bit more.
    As for the house I think there great! awesome work on development of the silhouette and the design it self.
    Just awesome keep it up cant wait for the updates
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man. I'm subscribing to this thing
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Looking very cool, love the stack of houses. The only thing that stood out to me is that you said you wanted it to look like middle age (medieval?) european houses. At the moment they look more Far East than Europe due to the sloped roof and roof beam (spine?) sticking out. It might help a bit more when you have a texture on it but at the moment it makes me think of something along these lines

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3608/3557455406_a166ccf14a.jpg
    http://www.redlion-china.com/upload/proresult/2009399426b.jpg
    http://www.hbp.usm.my/conservation/Measured%20Drawings/difmalay.jpg
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the comments guys!

@OtrickP: Ha nice quote, something to think about! Thanks!

@Icarox: Thanks man!

@gochillis: Thank you! It should be cool when its done.

@leleuxart: Thanks! I'll look into it. Does seem to be leaning. :/

@Jessica Dinh: Thank you!! I agree, hopefully adding more ledges will help!

@KyleJensen: ha thanks!

@Alphavader: yeah flat textures is something I struggle with, hoping to improve on that. I'm planning on repainting the cliff texture later.

@LoTekK: Thank you very much! Yes agree there definitely needs to be more shapes in the cliff sides for sure.

@Madwish: Thanks, I am hoping the planning helps down the road. Also I agree, At the moment my plan was for the elevator to be that special structure, still not sure what to make it but, i like the idea of some kind of mayor town hall thing.

@Benjam: Thanks for the support!

@praetus: yes! Grass would be super nice. I have a plan for that!

@benji: yeah this is a problem, I am going to need something else. I'm thinking about some sort of town hall thing.

@Jakob Gavelli: Thanks man! I like that phrase. "Ignore the naysayers."

@HughieDM: Thanks dude! appreciate the words!

@BringMeASunkist: Thank you!

@urgaffel: Thanks! Yeah I was worried about this, let me know if they still feel Asian after the textures. However I'm hoping they wont. :/
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates...

So I started working on the roof texture for the buildings. And this is what I came up with.
    roof_texture_moss.jpg

I want moss to be built up on the roof, but I'm not really sure how to go about painting it. :/ So any tips for painting roof tiles would be super.
    Texture applied to the mesh, unlit.
    roof_texture_applied.jpg

Also here is the roof tiles without the poopie moss.
    roof_texture.jpg

Questions I'm asking myself and you guys! Does this feel Blizzardy(is that a word?). If not suggestions? How about color? how about depth? ways that can be pushed? Any other crits about texture work?

Thanks for Looking!
  • Dvolution
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work so far man! It does indeed come across as Blizzard-esque. The moss, in my opinion, looks a little like slime right now. I think the reason for that though is that you have fantastic depth painted into the tiles themselves and the moss is very flat comparatively.

I painted a cedar shingled house one summer and the kind of moss that grows on wood tiles that is bulbous. So I think if you just add more depth to the moss clumps it would be money.

I would also paint some growing into the cracks between the tiles, not just in the crevice of each row (if that makes sense).

Really solid so far though man, I'll be watching, keep it up! :thumbup:
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    awesome stuff, really look how the houses are starting to look!
    and same as Dvolution, the moss doesn't look quite right yet,
    also a little to much maybe?
    but you could maybe mix the moss version and without version textures with vertex painting in engine?
    that way you can also make variations and prevent the roofs looking all the same
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    The moss looks very much like slime to me too. I don't know what kind of moss you're going for but the closes thing I found was this :

roof%20moss%20006.jpg?rand=1218864863

As you can see it's very lumpy and the transition from moss to tiles is very abrupt and not quite as smooth as your texture, that's just my observation I'm by no means good at handpainted textures ^^

I'd suggest experimenting with adding some moss to the vertical cracks aswell just to see how it looks!

Really love the tiles though they look awesome!
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Well, man, i'm liking what i'm seeing so far. Good luck on making that, it'll be quite some work but seeing the wya you approach it, you'll definitely make it. I love the style of your handpainted texture !

anyway, your buildinds reminds me of guildwars Faction, in term of "putting everything on top of eachother"

gwf-env-urban-canal.jpg

gwf-env-urban-cave.jpg
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I feel like the shingles on the roof would pop more if the highlight wasn't uniform across the bottom of the each shingle. Every shingle seems to have that lining. I would add more contrast to the highlight and the depth of the cracks. Right now if you desaturate the texture if feels kind of flat for value. I'll see if I can do a paintover on my lunch break.
  • EbbAndFlow
  • MrDreadnought
    The moss does look a little pudgy, and it gives me a feeling that there's some thick gass comming from inbetween the rooftiles. You could adjust it to blend in better with the depth you've painted there, for a better effect. Painting the moss abit more unevenly (some rows should have some, some rows not) could also help reduce repetition.

All together I think you're on the right track, and I'm curious to see how it evolves.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Not my best paintover, but I had limited time to do it. Anyways, you should really feel those cracks like they're sinking in. Right now they feel more like they're just weathered paint or like you're still in a block out phase. Also, with what I said about the highlights on the edges; it looks like you made more or less the same brush stroke on every shingle regardless of the weathering or cracks. I would go back and 1) redo the cracks and add some depth to them and 2) make sure the highlights are based off the underlying forms as opposed to a generalization and finally 3) push your values for more of a contrast.

shinglePaint.gif
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dvolution: Thanks man, appreciate the critique. changed up the moss and added plants growing between the shingles.

@LuCh!: Good Idea, Im going to do that. It will definitely help with variation!

@Jakob Gavelli: Nice reference, I was using it when I was trying to re paint the moss, but i just couldn't get it look very good. :O

@Scythe: Noooo your images dont work. :( Thanks though! :)

@praetus: Thanks so much for taking the time to make that paint over! It was super helpful! Let me know if it still looks flat.

@EbbAndFlow: 2

@MrDreadnought: yeah that moss was stinky. made me sick when I would look at it. ;)
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    Moss? How about little plants!?

I came back today to try and work on the roof texture some more. I attempted to paint some moss again, but I just couldn't get it to look right. :/ I just looked like goo or it was to noisy. idk stylized moss is tricky.

Anywho, I was playing around and decided to change it up to little plant things growing out of the roof? I also have the texture without the plants so I can use them both to vertex paint with. Create more variation that way. I could also put little alpha card plants on the roof too which may be cool.

Questions from last post still apply, and if this looks silly or strange let me know.

roof_texture_01.jpg

roof_texture_02.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)
  • Stefan_Martens
    The little plants you've put it, though well painted, will probably read as a bunch of noise from a distance. I think you had the right idea with the first try, but that attempt was a little crude compared to the rest of your texture(s).

herm009.jpg

You probably want something like this right?
  • Stefan_Martens
    Have you considered just making a tilable moss texture and use the mesh painting features in UDK?

http://www.3dmotive.com/training/udk/advanced-mesh-paint-with-udk/?follow=true

I'm not sure if this would work, you probably need normal maps, to get it nicely in between the cracks...

One of the UDK pro's lurking around polycount could probably tell you.
  • Fnitrox
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Some time ago i was trying to paint a wooden slab roof texture based on "the blizzard style" and i did study it a bit from ingame reference...

I think you should lessen the value range on your texture. Take THIS as an example and see how they don't really have any deep shadow or really bright highlights...
    now your texture reads quite well even from a distance but i think that the high contrast created by the deep shadows between slabs and the highlight you painted on the border makes them look too toonish.

you could make them look somewhat softer maybe and add more of a gradient from the highlight to the parts where it goes beneath the upper slab... also maybe redute the amount of details on them and make the craks bigger and exaggerated. I always thought that the "blizzard style" lies more in the exaggeration with big landmarks than making realistic stuff

just my 2 cents :D hope it helps
  • tharle
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    i think what praetus is talking about is the lighting on the texture looks very flat - the roof is obviously very roughtly made but because the value across each tile is similar it looks like they're all lit the same. something like this might add some more visual interest:

roof_texture_painover2.jpg

as for the vegetation i think you want to stick with the moss - as was said above the little plants wouldnt read very well from a distance. grab a bunch of reference (the photo stefan posted is a good start) and really look where the moss builds up - its a plant so needs light so actually seems to be more on the edges of the tiles than in the cracks. doing some vertex painting for the moss, and maybe a grime or light/dark mask like i mentioned above, would be a good way to break up variation and show off some tech skills. there's nothing stopping you adding a few little plants as points of interest in places where the player will go past - things like corners of gutters and around chimneys are perfect for little details like this.
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    toxic_h2o may I recommend that you move to do some other stuff if you feel like being stuck. Iterations. works for me :) and check PMs.
  • Kromus
    Looks great, definitely following this thread. Very inspiring stuff seeing your passion to do well.

In terms of "is it Blizzardy?", I'd say it is. The textures come across that way and the unusual style of the houses (you've not only stacked them up, you've also made some wobble and tied them to the other parts of the houses).
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stefan_Martens: Thanks for the ref! I'm not sure about a moss tiling texture, mainly because of what you said, I would nee a normal map to get it in the cracks. If I paint it by hand I can put the moss where I want. Plus this project is a painting exercise so the more I attempt to paint moss the better Ill get, hopefully.

@Fnitrox: You are awesome, thanks the for crit, it was super helpful. In the back of my head I knew this stuff, but it didn't really make sense till I saw the image you posted. Thanks man! Hopefully my texture is looking better. Let me know!

@tharle: Yes the uneven lighting makes a difference, definitely helps add interest, thanks man!

@linkov: Again thank you very much! Also I agree I think I'm going to take a break from this and come back to it. Since it is the third attempt haha.
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, maybe this is a bit closer?

Another version of the roof tiles, hopefully they are looking better and more blizzard/painterly looking...

This time,

1. the wtf, crappy, vine, plant things are gone.

2. brought back the moss, still needs work but hopefully looks less like a fart.

3. Less detail/noise

4. bigger and exaggerated cracks

5. value range is far less, a lot less black.

6. Softer painterly style

7. Uneven lighting on some of the tiles.

roof_texture_new_01.jpg

roof_texture_new_02.jpg

Thanks so much for the help so far guys! Hopefully its looking better. let me knows.
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Just tiles = awesome
    Tiles + moss = still a bit not quite there. It looks a bit too liquid at the moment, like slime is coming out from between the tiles :s

Also, I know it's early days still but if you break up the vertical silhouette of the roof as well as the horizontal bottom, it'll look even better. Bottom of roof looks sweet but the vertical edges are all straight.
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    I like new tiles much better, though I would get rid of 'torn' edges on some tiles.

New moss is looking somewhat better, but indeed, not quite there yet.

Here is one picture explanation. I'm not entirely happy with it, but maybe you'll get some ideas :poly136:

toxic_ovrpnt.jpg

I guess there is different types of moss out there, but I guess it possible to compare it (or rather its form), with construction foam after hardening. Then you just add fine details.
  • Skummel
    Can't wait to see more! You got tons of preparation, reference, and you clearly know what you're doing. It'll be great
    132051635885.gif
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I like where this is going...Do what I never did with my fantasy town...Finish it!

Awesome texture skills and great development on the roof tiles.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    I like the textures :) tracking = on
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    @Urgaffel: You are correct, The moss has defeated me for now, but I'm going to come back to it and kick its ass. Also good point about the bottom of the roof.

@Linkov: Dude you really are amazing. Now I have a better idea when I go back to it. Listening to your advice from earlier however and taking a break from the moss for the moment. :) Thanks again man!

@Skummel: Thanks for the support! Really appreciate it!

@Selaznog: Thanks! I saw your fantasy town it was looking really cool, you should finish as well! haha

@Rhoutermans: Thank you kindly!

Roof Updates...

Continuing the texturing on the roof elements, Since the houses are on top of each other I made a modular set of pipes that would vent the smoke up and away from the houses. Also textured some beams and made a tiling wood texture for the inside of the roof and the platforms when I get to them.

Some unlit screenshots
    roof_work_02.jpg

pipes_02.jpg

Textures

wooden_beams_01.jpg
    pipes_01.jpg
    wooden_planks_01.jpg

Again the textures are super important to this project so if something isn't working, can be pushed(what cant be pushed) or doesn't look right, let me know! Again I'm shooting for Blizzard styles.

Thanks For Looking! :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Make those cuts and slashes bigger/more noticeable! Blizzard all about the big, chunky details:] Your edge highlights are also pretty uniform so try varying the line quality. I like that tileable wood a lot:) good colors. Also, really nice exaggerated shapes.
  • Xelan101
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    I'd push the highlights on the metal more, right now things are reading more Matte, with some tight bright bits, and like Jessica said some variation on the edge highlights, I think it'll hit a more metallic look.

And I agree with Jessica, bigger slashes for sure, make them more noticeable and make them pop.

Also maybe push the contrast just a little more on the wood, maybe...
  • terry1337
    updates!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    omg an Update :O

*cough*
    Rather than list a bunch of excuses for not posting sooner, I'm just going to cut right to the content. :poly142:

I have been working on modeling the modular pieces for the houses and creating textures for them. The doors and window textures are still wip along with the rest of the gray stuff. I also still need to go back and fix up the last textures.

The House is currently sitting around 6000 tris.

Maya unlit
    update_house_03.jpg

UDK test
    update_house_01.jpg
    update_house_02.jpg

Some textures
    update_house_04.jpg

Questions

1. Texture? I must Improve. Thoughts and or concerns? Remember I am going trying to go for a Blizzard WoWish look. Should my cuts and cracks be even larger? Am I adding to much detail? Are the textures reading flat?

2. Well forget about two.

3. Destruction? I planning to get these textures to a more destructed like state along with the meshes. Examples being broken plaster/daub, more moss, broken boards, etc. So any thoughts on the destruction and decay of the building this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for looking. :)
  • Metzger
    Subbed to this puppy. I am inspired by you to actually finish an environment for once.

When I saw the UDK Render of the house. My heart just melted. I am in love with this project. Keep up the great work!

All I would suggest, for the blizzard style. Harder darker edges, you're getting there. It just needs that darker push. Whats the worst that could happen? Go dark, dark until you think it can't get any darker and edgier in the cracks and in between the stone, test and if not CNTRL+Z that mother back into the abyss!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Nick! :] Of all the new textures, I think your stone is looking the most WoW-ish - it's really nice. I like how much depth there is, like you cn easily tell some stones are popping out more than others.

Your other textures, like the wood and plaster, I feel like the strokes and details are far too fine. You can have some finer super-zoom details in there, but that would be for later and you'd just pop them here and there. But for the most part, the forms should be more chunky and noticeable.

What I mean is like the raised areas of plaster, raise them more, and make some of the cracks in the wood wider. Same deal with the vegetation, I think that some of the little detail strokes are wayyy too small, like made with a 1 px brush.

Something about the wood beam + wall texture is weird. It seems as if the wood beams are embedded into the wall - is that what you were going for? If not, I'd make the AO around the beams more diffuse, and bevel the outer edges of the wood too; make it read clear that the wood is sitting on top of the wall, not in it.

My two cents though, I could be wrong! but that's just what I'd do :]

I really like the geometry ^_^ Keep it up! I get so excited for every update haha.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 15
    Can I be a slight raincloud and suggest that blizzards "style" is evolving to a more next-gen look while still retaining the painterly aesthetic. I've seen the people blizzard has been picking up lately and its not necessarily people emulating their current style, which is like 8 years old now. Just food for thought. But you're stuff is looking really good.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    awesome work, keep it coming. I can't believe your professor told you that, but I have been told similar things... keep pushing and don't let their bs bring you down.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This is response is with regards to your last post with those textures.

I think you need to ease up on the color burn, it should never go to near black.

Different parts of your textures look really blurry as well. Are you using the smudge tool? (Maybe it is the color burn again?) I would try and ease off of that as well, instead try actually mixing your colors by gradually blending and then sampling. If you hold down alt while painting in Photoshop that activates the color sample tool. You can simply select a value next to what you are working on and release the alt button and paint away a few strokes and then repeat the process. The results don't look blurry, and I think it might help bring your textures closer to that WoW painterly feel.

I know everybody works differently, but don't knock it until you've tried it. ;)

I think you're trying to blend everything in too much and it's really taking away from the painted feel.

Also don't be afraid to show some brush strokes, it adds some character. =)
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    you really wasting texture space on these four wooden beams.

1. Straighten the UVs, distorsion will be minimal, noone gonna see it.
    2. Overlap them. Paint trim for vertical beams at the bottom and pointy ends on top. For regular beams use only middle portion of texture.
    3. You can only see two sides of the beam at any given time. No point in painting all four sides.
  • Benjam
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    hey man, looks cool. My only suggestion is the moss on the wood. When i looked at it i liked the scene in UDK but the moss grabbed my attention straight away. It looks exactly the same on the steps into the house as it does on the side walls of the house.

Maybe change or tone down the moss a little, make it less bright green and more dirty greenish. Also perhaps change the moss on the side walls to something else or remove it entirely or make it less samey as the rest of the house

Keep it up. Im insanely jealous that you are able to make such awesome hand painted stuff!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Those curved UVs are huge pet peeve of mine. Snap them up! They might warp a little but its' so much easier to paint and you can maximize the space better if everything is lined up.

Also 2x what Jessica Dinh and linkov say.
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing, subbed
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys!

@Metzger: Thank you so much! I will play around with it!

@Jessica Dinh: Jessica thanks, I appreciate it! For the wood and plaster, my intention was that it was pushed in. I was looking at some pictures and is seems in some daub and wattle construction it is pushed in. However if it is looking funny, I can make it look as if the wood is sitting on top.

Also as I was posting, I was thinking "Jessica is going to tell me to make the details larger." I feel silly because you told me this last time and I was actually planning on making them larger but sure enough I didn't. >_< Next time there will large details. :P

2197428120097451350ysYIme_fs.jpg

@Laughing_Bun: Yeah this was something I have been thinking about, I think the wow style its a good start to understanding the important aspects of texture painting, such as pushing depth, large details, etc. Btw do you have some links to portfolios of the people that have been getting hired there?

@Sage: Thanks dude!

@Tobbo: Thanks for the suggestion Tobbo! I look into those things you mentioned.

@linkov: Thanks for the tip, Ill have to play around with the uvs some more.

@Benjam: Thanks, Ill look into the moss, see if I cant mess with it. really I'm trying to reuse to be efficient but I do have a version without the moss so Ill try that.

@Jeff Parrott: Yeah definitely I'll fix that! thanks!

@Bonkahe: thanks!
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Looking sweet Nick! Bit of a brain dump here:

I feel like the texture & the models aren't jiving completely yet, the textured (unlit) version looks a little sloppy and "mushy," and colors are close but not quite there. It mostly comes from the plaster/wood texture with what Jessica mentions, but also some of the transitional parts of the mesh, between textures. The roof tile to support beam in the front ends very harshly when viewing from the front. Would expect the roof tiles to be extruded a little more, and possibly contribute some to the shape there. Example Image, edges of tiled roof beveled. This isn't to say you should just bevel that edge, but i think you can come up with a good solution there to make that sit prettier up there.

Also feel like the wood in general is a bit flat, and has too much shadow, without enough highlight. I don't think that means you need to go highlight crazy, you can keep it low contrast and add a little more form to the wood, and some surface texture with color and brush strokes.

Also, with moss/plants, may help to add some transitional color between the two surfaces in spots to make it "stick" to the object instead of feeling like it hovers above. ex:
    moss_transition.jpg
    would be subtle with it, but also be specific about where and how you use it. doing blurry, smudgy stuff will only add to muddiness.

Overall, I also think the colors on the textures aren't gelling completely either. The roof, wood, wall, and stone are all competing for attention instead of working together to compliment the shape of the building. Maybe try pushing them a little closer together, or rhyme some colors from the different textures into others. The one thing connecting all the parts & pieces is the moss/plantlife, and tbh those parts are the least successful atm.

regardless of me being super nitpicky, this thing is rad and is going to be sweeeet finished :)

ps sorry i havent mailed ya back I'm lame and dumb :)
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This may be due simply to image compression. But you should also try sharpening your textures.

MJFaF.jpg

To the left is the original, and to the right is the image sharpened a little bit. It brings out the highlights more as well.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I disagree with the above; don't sharpen the textures! And if you do, be careful. It looks great in 2D, but from my experience handpainting, sharpened textures in 3D dont look as good as originals (only really applies to handpainted things though).
    Here's an example of a crate I made. First is sharpened, second is unsharpened:
    http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/317/2/5/dcvsdvcsd_by_julionicoletti-d5kwg5n.png

Sharpening is a good idea in theory, but for large scale environments I find everything gets too noisy. It's like having a painting where everything is detailed.

As for the textures...I'd model geo for the wood beams. I know they are supposed to be inlayed, but I just dont think its working. I think it's to do with the fact that the other wood in your scene is modeled, and is the same colour. Maybe if you changed the tint a little?
    Looking great so far!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    In my experience, sharpening really helps handpainted textures, but it will look horrible if you overdo it, so just be subtle with it. After I create a sharpen layer, I usually go in manually and use the eraser to ease up where the tiny details are. Tiny details look really bad sharpened, but for larger details and areas it actually works really nice I think. Just be careful!
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Selaznog wrote: »
    I disagree with the above; don't sharpen the textures! And if you do, be careful. It looks great in 2D, but from my experience handpainting, sharpened textures in 3D dont look as good as originals (only really applies to handpainted things though).
    http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/317/2/5/dcvsdvcsd_by_julionicoletti-d5kwg5n.png

Sharpening is a good idea in theory, but for large scale environments I find everything gets too noisy. It's like having a painting where everything is detailed.

As for the textures...I'd model geo for the wood beams. I know they are supposed to be inlayed, but I just dont think its working. I think it's to do with the fact that the other wood in your scene is modeled, and is the same colour. Maybe if you changed the tint a little?
    Looking great so far!
    your comparison has a lot more saturation and contrast in the wood and no AA on the sharpened version. It's also not composed the same. It's not really a fair comparison to say, sharpening with a 1 or 2 pixel radius high pass.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Selaznog wrote: »

This brings me to make a point that I should have made earlier. Yes too much sharpening can make things go terribly wrong and fast, but "too much" can be true with almost anything.

I really don't think that sharpening carefully will make your whole scene get too noisy. But it is a balance and should be used as a minor adjustment.
  • Pix
    About sharpening textures, it's better to do this manually, or you can also sharpen textures using high pass in photoshop at really low values then you put it on overlay and tweak opacity that will only sharpen your edges.