Home General Discussion

MEN IN THE GAMES INDUSTRY - Creepy tumblr page with people you may know!

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
Here's the blog: http://meningameshotornot.tumblr.com/
****SUBMIT your hot men to @men_in_games on Twitter!!***

Objectifying men all year round. Why, because, well... MEN!

Video games are making as much money as movies. Why not highlight the handsome hunks of the gaming industry, too?

I found this posted on Dylan Brady's facebook page, and thought you guys needed to know. Remember, be careful where you selfie.

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    You know Zac; I am really starting to wonder about your gender. =\
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Obviously Lonewolf would be on there. That blog was made for him.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    This is actually kind of hilarious, as long as whoever's running the page is willing to take pictures down when asked.
  • Malus
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    How does one get on this list? :P

I reckon its Hazardous too, all those hot girls he models is purely to distract. @_____@
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Well... this is strange.
  • Bridget
    That guy from Infinity ward is hot!
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    So this is a thing apparently.

EDIT:

I just found an old colleague bahahaha.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Wonder how people would react and all the sexist flame war that would follow if a hot chicks of the game industry was made.
  • WarrenM
    Jesse - I had that same thought. The internet was be IN FLAMES if this was girls of game development.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    "Double standard" jumps to mind...
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're assuming these hunky gentlemen haven't submitted their own photos.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    oh I get it so this is some form of satire..........right?
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
  • MDiamond
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Considering the amount of men in game development this could be the holy grail of fanservice for girls into nerd/geek/techie/gamers guys or something lol.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    in Brisbane here there is a photographer that takes candid photos everywhere, when it was posted on facebook a ton of my friends discovered photos of themselves. At least he is gracious enough to take them down when asked, but it is pretty weird.
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I can't wait to break into the industry!
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    wait a sec, is that Reno Levi aka Loneworlf ? I was a fan of his works

Damn ! he should be an actor
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Nam.Nguyen wrote: »
    Damn ! he should be an actor
    I hope you mean model. Otherwise, "This is why we can't have nice things."
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
  • EarthQuake
    Obviously Reno "Shirtless Selfie" Levi would be on the first page of this tumblr.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    I hope you mean model. Otherwise, "This is why we can't have nice things."

LOL, actor indeed, he has an epic look, I would like to see him in a cool outfit, fancy weapon, fighting monsters, . . .
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Hmm. At first I thought people were submitting themselves like that Men of Game Dev calendar. But instead, this just looks like people randomly seeking out personal photos of people who happen to work in games.

Yep, that's just creepy and stupid.

Edit: Ok, Looks like my brain has gone full circle now. So pics are entirely approved by the individual before they're posted. Carry on!

Not going to edit my post because I think it's important to aknowledge that if this was unsolicited it would be fucking weird and creepy regardless of the gender.
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Wonder how people would react and all the sexist flame war that would follow if a hot chicks of the game industry was made.

That's the whole point. It's satire of what usually happens to attractive women in the industry. Their Twitter description is "Objectifying men in games 365 days a year." It's a well known thing among the indie game community and many of the men featured on the site are hugely supportive of it.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Where's Tor Frick? Hunkiest guy on PC!
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    - now that i looked at it, there is some ..questionable shit on there
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not on this?! Bullshit.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    also I don't care. My point is (even if this is satire) mens pics are still being uploaded and exploited (if you want to call it that) so satire or not isn't it exactly the same thing. They aren't cartoon drawings of men. They are indeed photos..
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm not on a soap box. I think my point is pretty valid. If women are up in arms about how they are "exploited" and then turn around and do this shit. Seriously?

** i don't know if this site is made by a woman or a man, my point was not all men exploit women, not all women exploit men.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm 80% sure it's a gay guy running the blog. I believe most of these pictures are from people's own twitter pages.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ehhh - It's more likely a gay dude running the site I think. But if I punch someone - then they punch me... punching is still bad right?

that's kinda his point.

women punch men for posting pics of hot chicks, men punch women for posting pics of hot men... punching is bad in both cases, but the reason for the punches is just as valid in both.

quick edit:
    in what universe does it matter who, or what the sexuality of that person is who posted it.
  • daisyrawks
    i'm not on a soap box. I think my point is pretty valid. If women are up in arms about how they are "exploited" and then turn around and do this shit. Seriously?

a) How do you know this is run by a woman?

b) Even if the person running it is female, women as a group are not doing this, whereas women as a group often have things like this done TO them by men.

So no, you don't have a point. All you have is a baseless assumption and a false equivalence.

ETA: If the guys in these photos didn't consent to have them used this way, then it's just as inappropriate as if it were women's pictures. If they're all cool with it, more power to them, and I'd say the same if they were pictures of women. It's about consent.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I'm on there, I think it's hilarious - whether it's ironic objectification of men, or genuine. I just find it funny. My only regret is that the pic on there doesn't have my latest tattoo :\

And, yeah, you need to give permission / submit them yourself / they do take pics down if you ask. Someone had submitted mine, I got asked for permission.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Well that's fail, where's my picture!? :<
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Bridget
    daisyrawks wrote: »

b) Even if the person running it is female, women as a group are not doing this, whereas women as a group often have things like this done TO them by men.

So no, you don't have a point. All you have is a baseless assumption and a false equivalence.

ETA: If the guys in these photos didn't consent to have them used this way, then it's just as inappropriate as if it were women's pictures. If they're all cool with it, more power to them, and I'd say the same if they were pictures of women. It's about consent.

haha this.

"HOW DARE YOU DO ONCE WHAT WE HAVE DONE TO YOU FOR DECADES (MILENIA) YOU HYPOCRITE WOMINS!"

so much fedora...
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    The reason why men doing this to women isn't okay is because (note the lack of specified gender in this statement) "Objectifying people based on gender is NOT ok." This means that the opposite, women's objectification of men, is also not ok. If it were, it would mean women get special treatment which is what lead to chauvinism in the first place.

However, when you post something like this on the internet, this is what happens. If these guys didn't want this, they shouldn't have made those photos accessible or in the case of Facebook, unlinked themselves. (This applies to photos of a woman as well.)
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Why did I click on that link...disturbing. In a Mad Men kind of way
  • EarthQuake
    If anyone thinks that women sexualizing men has ever in the history of the world been on the same level that men's sexualizion of women has been or is today... I don't know what to tell you. Read a history book I guess? I mean I get the equality thing and that it should be judged on the same level in a perfect society, but c'mon, seriously?

Anyway, It seems that the site itself is (likely) run by a man and that permission for the photos is gotten from the individuals before posting, so, I don't see the reason for anyone to get worked up about this. It looks like its all in good fun so lets try not to ruin it by making this a political shithread.
  • daisyrawks
    Equanim wrote: »
    However, when you post something like this on the internet, this is what happens. If these guys didn't want this, they shouldn't have made those photos accessible or in the case of Facebook, unlinked themselves. (This applies to photos of a woman as well.)

Not really, no. If someone posts something on their personal FB or Twitter, that is not consent for any old jackass to take it and use it for their own purposes. It's probably not reasonable to be surprised when it happens because there is, in fact, no shortage of assholes on the internet but that doesn't make it their fault.

I mean people here post images of their work all the time. Does your above statement mean you're totally cool with anyone grabbing those images and using them however they see fit because hey, it's their own fault for putting them on the internet to begin with?

If someone's house is robbed, do you tell them it's their own fault for having stuff where other people can see it?
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I'm definitely not saying it's right or legal, I'm saying it happens and there are very easy preventative measures you can take. That's why people watermark their images and lock their doors.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Well I... You know.... It's kind of like...

Seinfeld_Out.gif
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    If anyone thinks that women sexualizing men has ever in the history of the world been on the same level that men's sexualizion of women has been or is today... I don't know what to tell you. Read a history book I guess? I mean I get the equality thing and that it should be judged on the same level in a perfect society, but c'mon, seriously?

Anyway, It seems that the site itself is (likely) run by a man and that permission for the photos is gotten from the individuals before posting, so, I don't see the reason for anyone to get worked up about this. It looks like its all in good fun so lets try not to ruin it by making this a political shithread.
    I dunno man, is there a mirror site for this that its mocking or is it stepping out on its own?

I assumed it was a work of feminist satire but who the hell knows, it would no doubt be distasteful if you did it with women of the gaming industry (I am perhaps wrongly assuming this hasn't been done), but yet this opens the door for that, because gender superiority on either side does not equate to gender equality.

So I feel a bit mixed about it, while it can work as a feminist satirical device, it also can lower the standards of equality as a whole, as its about being equal, not dropping down to the levels of gender objectification which is used by so many who objectify.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    daisyrawks wrote: »

Actually, I don't know if it is run by a woman, dude, Zeus or a god damn polar bear and honestly I don't care. My point was still, if I made one about hot girls in the game industry than there would be a god damn youtube video about how bad of a person I am.

No matter what I still have a point. It may not be valid in your eyes, but it is still a valid point. You can't honestly say that women don't objectify men. NOT ALL WOMEN, just like not all men objectify women. I know it is not in the same way men have objectified women for years and through history and I am not trying to even remotely say it is close but lets not sit here and go full retard and pretend that there isn't websites and magazines for women that are constantly posting pictures of shirtless men.

I was half joking at first and didn't even want to post this because I can see where this is going already but whatever it's the weekend.

3530387-6685656174-21039.png
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    This is great, it's like watching a white guy get upset about the word honky. I'll have to share this thread (the polycount thread) with the women at work, they've worked up a rating system based on fedoras.

Don't worry, I'm sure those charming gents on Reddit are working up a nuclear bomb to counteract this slight.
  • Swizzle
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    ...can someone explain to me what the "fedora" thing is all about?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Two Listen wrote: »
    ...can someone explain to me what the "fedora" thing is all about?

It's basically come to symbolize the nerdy white male who speaks up to defend bad behavior, or 'mansplain'.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Vince-McMahon-admiring-bodybuilders.gif
    stoled from Joshua Stubbles on Facebook.
This discussion has been closed.