Home Unreal Engine

UDK - Shader to cover seams

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DriveJunky95 polycounter lvl 7
Hey all,

Trying to develop a shader that will work at covering seams in certain meshes. The reason for these seams is due to the UV layout - some shells overlap on a "tiling texture" to create the same effect as a tiling texture, but will later be part of an atlas. To show you what I mean:

Mesh:
84jkzu9.png

UV Layout:
A3RAxcm.png?1

Any good methods towards this problem?

EDIT: No, as some of you may notice the UV shells are not exactly on the grid. Exactly on or slightly scaled back - the seam still persists.

Replies

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Fill the uv space and you wont get the seams. Remember to keep to a power of 2 workflow as it will cancel out seam issues.

http://www.thiagoklafke.com/modularenvironments.html

http://blog.joelburgess.com/2013/04/skyrims-modular-level-design-gdc-2013.html
  • DriveJunky95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response repete. Filling the UV space with a tiling texture would definitely solve my problem. The UV mapping and texturing method that I'm using is similar to doing just that. In my case though the bridge mesh pictured above is UV mapped so that the UV shells of the 'stone path' are all equally sized and overlapping. That's all good and dandy. The top and bottom of that stone path texture above would tile if the entire image were to be scaled to fit the 0,1 space. So I am getting the same results as a tiling texture with UVs that are scaled beyond the 0 to 1 space, but this gives me the ability to include other textures onto the same sheet (a much larger texture atlas once finished).

I vertex painted the seam out with a tiling dirt texture just for kicks. No luck.

I hope I am not attempting the impossible. What do people use to cover the seams in tough organic shapes like rocks? Maybe I can adapt a method similar to that.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You will always get seams here, even if you align the UVs exactly, the MIP maps will give you seams.

So you'll have to ensure that the direction of tiling is not the direction of the atlas (I.e. make the texture tileable in one of the axes.

Or ensure you add in some overlap in the texture and UV to a smaller portion of it, to account for MIP mapping.
  • DriveJunky95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer, you are the man!! The texture overlap method will definitely solve this. A big thanks to you!