Home Unreal Engine

Matching 3Do Render in Unreal

Meloncov
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Meloncov greentooth
So I got my textures to a place I was pretty happy with in the Quixel suite:

EicCLEb.jpg

Exporting the textures and hooking them up in Unreal, though, a lot of the definition (both form and material) is gone:

4zYXJot.jpg

Any tips on how to fix this? Is a matter of normal bias, or lighting, or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    You haven't told us:

Texture resolution
    Texture compression settings
    How you have done the material
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    4k maps, TC Default and TC Normal Map compression, and material is just the maps plugged into their respective slots: mSMsrV6.jpg
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    it looks super smooth.. did you invert the gloss (to roughness) ?
    you don't need the metallic slot either, should be 0

maybe posting the maps will help.. I don't see any obvious mistakes
    3do has a sharpen effect turned on by default.. maybe that is also causing part of the difference
    was the height/displacement slider on?
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I didn't think I needed metalness, but when it was looking odd I hooked it up just in case the default was something other than zero.

Gloss is definitely inverted, but there's no doubt that the roughness level is too low. I could just tweak it directly, but it'd be nice to figure out what when wrong in the pipeline.
  • Meloncov
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I just tried comparing both myself..
    Maybe someone with more experience could comment on this..
    but I think it's the roughness values that don't match, the current (non existing?) light setup inside ue4 compared to the one in 3do.. you got a nice rim light in there..
    and maybe the sharpen effect
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Ok, thanks. Weird about the roughness: I'll ask in the Quixel support thread.
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Have you set the compression settings on your roughness to TC greyscale and tick off SRGB?
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Fwap wrote: »
    Have you set the compression settings on your roughness to TC greyscale and tick off SRGB?

Ok, sRGB was definitely part of the problem. Thank you!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Since you have the roughness and such packed, you should set compression to TC_Masks instead of TC_Greyscale. As far as matching the 3do render, it looks like you might have a lot detail on a specularity texture in 3do that's not showing up in Unreal. If you want to have some variance in the specular color in Unreal, you have to use the specular parameter that tweaks dielectrics, where specular of .5 (gamma-space 186) corresponds to a specular reflectivity of 0.04 (which is really quite typical reflectivity), 1 corresponds to a specular reflectivity of 0.08 (which is the upper limit for dielectrics and is typically only hit by really shiny glass), and 0 corresponds to, well, 0. (Of course you should never have a material with specular of 0.)

If you have a really detailed specular texture in 3do, you'll want to either transfer that detail to your roughness map, or use levels to remap your 3do specular from 0-0.08 to 0-1 and plug that into the specular input. You can also multiply your specular input by a cavity map to get some small-scale specular occlusion, which can help to sell a material. (By a cavity map I mean an Xnormal/Knald cavity map, not the curvature input Ddo takes and calls a cavity map. But if you have the curvature input for Ddo, you can turn it into the right kind of cavity map with levels.)
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Ok, using TC_Masks definitely helps. Thanks! I'm pretty sure I don't have any info on the specularity texture in dDo, since I was using its metalness workflow.
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    very interesting... what's the gain of using tc_masks/tc_grayscale?
    (couldn't find any info in the documentation)
    and what if you wanted to import roughness in the blue channel of a normal map, would that be a bad choice?

btw.. don't want to steal your thread :)
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Cay wrote: »
    very interesting... what's the gain of using tc_masks/tc_grayscale?
    (couldn't find any info in the documentation)
    and what if you wanted to import roughness in the blue channel of a normal map, would that be a bad choice?

btw.. don't want to steal your thread :)

Greyscale doesn't compress the texture, but it only supports one channel.