Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge September 2014 (23)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wulf polycounter lvl 7
NxoB4lf.png

Hello everyone and welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge for the month of September.

This is now my second time hosting this challenge for you guys. We had tons of participation last month, and I am excited to see what we can do this time around. Have fun everyone. Cheers!

Join our Skype group if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.

You don't have to join the Skype if you don't want to though, and you don't need to ask to participate in the challenge, just start working on it and post your progress in this thread!

KF4R9g8.png

Y9DgjPZ.jpg

Artist - Gray Shuko
http://gray-shuko.net/

5Twoeut.png

4_2_132.jpg

Artist - Max Davenport
http://maxdavenport.wordpress.com/

5SGB61o.png

Feel free to approach either of the concepts however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized. It's really up to you, and as long as you are learning then it doesn't matter right?

Also if you want to change up either concept a bit, as some people wanted, then feel free. Interpret these concepts to your liking.

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers.
If you only want to do a few props as best you can, then feel free to go ahead and do it. This way you can gradually work on building up to a full scene before diving head-first into the whole ordeal.

B3Uy2w0.png

Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
  • Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.

• You must make your own textures, no stealing. We can't keep you from doing it, but the goal is to learn. You can use other textures and images to create your final texture, but please, no blatant copying of another artist's work.
  • You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used, but feel free to use any alternatives that you want.

• You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the timeframe provided.

• Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

• I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

• Please stay away from using Ddo. It's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, so please don't complain.

• Well that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let us know.
All that matters is that you learn, while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun! Cheers!

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Some fun in Zbrush. I'm not sure if I'm going to take this one all the way through, although I might learn useful things about particle systems.

RZcdkz0.png
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys I like the concept this month I'm blocking it out right but I'm wondering how most of you would tackle the wonky perspective? What do you use as a point of reference?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    try measuring it visually and compare and keep adjusting it.
  • ChickenSoup
    Must give this a go this month, been meaning to the past few months but work just keeps catching up on me!
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    I will be in for the Prop-challenge this month.
    It's a while ago since my last weapon. :)
    I decided not to go strict for one version of the axe but to merge few details from axye 1,2 and 3 into one weapon.

So far I did the modelling and started with the textures:
    day_1_by_dethling-d7xjdl4.jpg

2048x2048 Diffuse only
    920 Verts
  • KustomZero
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    Damn ok have to finish last months challenge first. But i have to do the props! Jed i think your blade could be a bit sharper but i like the overall look of your sculpt. Dethling it is impressive how fast your are with this (for me being a 3d student noob)

Which tricount should i consider for the middle axe, any suggestions?

R0IP8OZ.jpg

Thats my progress so far. Any tipps for the ribbon around the handle
  • Supposable Lion
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    O wow, such a vibrant scene! I've joined in two noob challenges last year and never finished either of em. I want to change that.

1j5jy.gif
    1j5jy.gifhttp:
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    If possible i will join this if i finish my character before the middle of the month, i really like the first concept.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero: I'll be sure to sharpen that blade up some in certain areas. I'll have to check how it's going to read on the normal map, though; I don't want to make it so sharp that it looks like a straight-up hard edge.

As for tri counts, I bet you could do that axe in anywhere from 250 to 1200 triangles, especially if you left out a few minor details. What's really important is that you have enough geometry to nail the silhouette, especially if you're going to paint it diffuse-only.

ChickenSoup: Do it! This month's environment concept is really fun and vibrant.
  • cpullma1
    Offline / Send Message
    cpullma1 polycounter lvl 5
    I may start the environment once I finish this axe.

shortAxeV01.jpg
  • Terebellum
    Hi Everyone,

This month i'm doing the Environment again this month. This is the first building at the front so far.
    ZNib4L7.png
  • TrebleMebbel
    Hi, new to the forum and aspiring digital artist.

Dabbled with Modo, Zbrush and UE4 before, but judging by what I have been seeing I am far behind on anything you guys are pushing out. I still need to get my head around the workflow for texturing, let alone rendering an entire environment.

As much as I would love to join in, I think I'll proceed to stalk for a bit longer before mustering the courage to join in.

Only day 2 and already seeing some good stuff, props to you guys!
  • TirAsleen
    Offline / Send Message
    TirAsleen polycounter lvl 6
    Oh wow, I just (nearly) finished one of these axes last week. I love these concepts. I'm tempted to try a second one now!
    Might as well post my first axe, it just needs the little ribbon knot and it should be done.

564 tris, 512x512 diffuse texture
    2e0a97a771.gif
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    This environment looks pretty fun to do! Just managed to get a bit done. Hopefully have the time to finish this... Although I go on holiday for a week on Friday so technically have 3 weeks to do this :P lol

vgWZpCY.jpg
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    560o4hX.jpg
    Okay, so these are my lo-poly models for the axes. My goal this month is two fold. I want to be able to work to minimize the poly count (seewhatididthere?) on the low poly models as much as possible. On the other end I want to be able to push them into zBrush and work/learn how to get the finer details just right.

I want to try my hand at the environment as well. I see the axes as being the fine details of ZBrush work and baking, and the the scene will be rough molding and decimating the poly amount.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some progress on my axe of choice today. 1474 triangles, 1024x1024 textures, albedo/spec/gloss/normal/emission/AO. Rendered in Unity with Lux because my poor laptop gets frames per second in the single digits in UE4.

ypa1leh.png

I'll probably need to revisit the textures or simplify the lighting at some point... it just doesn't look as obsidiany as I'd like it to. I'll probably work on some particles in the break between classes tomorrow. Maybe that will help things out too.

I think everyone's environments will look a lot better once the textures start coming in. I'm really looking forward to it.
  • TrebleMebbel
    @Zerogun - I love the low poly models, they look great and already very optimized in polycount. I would love to know your workflow in terms of creating the base (lowpoly) mesh and baking through Zbrush. Cant wait to see more.

@ Terebellum - Great start to the environment, I had issues finding a starting point, getting lost in the detail (something I am already not very good at) so decided on the blockout approach and defining detail.

@ Ross185 - Looking good, I'll be curious to see if you are going for a clinical clean approach or the wonky cartoony effect, really curious to see where people will take this concept.

@ JedTheKrampus - Looks pretty sweet man, very glossy at the moment though, will you be going for this look or something more organic?

And for myself, although daunting and nowhere near the same level as most here, below you can see me starting to block out. I am finding it really difficult to establish dimensions, so was forced to block everything out, give some shape and move things around, stretch and add detail.

Let me know your thoughts! I need to learn!!!

mrkRxNJ.jpg?1
  • esdinev
    Hello, another new poster on Polycount here.
    The enviorment concept is nice, clean and simple I like it a lot.
    I'll do it if my free time allows for it.
  • CatalystFire
    Hey guys, since I am completely new to this forum I thought I would start here. I chose to do the environment as I know I have a huge amount to learn. I started this today and this is what I have so far. I am also struggling to get the same perspective as the art work in to my 3D scene but I will persevere (the top image is the closest I have managed to get so far). I have no idea how I will do any of the brick damage etc. but I will think about that once I have everything blocked out. Please CC away. Cheers!

1qzHram.jpgRWuo2kD.jpg
  • CatalystFire
    I am not sure how qualified I am to make critiques as of yet but I can say what I see and think slightly less technically.

@TrebleMebbel I like what you have so far I think the basic blocking is looking good. You are going to have to plug the holes in your buildings though. If you leave them empty with no geometry you will just see a black box when you render. Later on down the line you will need to texture window space to make them look like glass.

@JedTheKrampus I don't even know how to do really anything you are doing but it looks cool and I think you have chosen the hardest of all the weapons to model. It does look a little jaggedy in places but I assume it is a low res game asset so not sure if you can get around that.

@KustomZero Looking good. You have the shape looking bang on. You can't have a massive polygon with 20+ edges so you will have to find a way to make the flat face on the blade into quads.

Erm there my two pence. It is all looking really good I can't wait to get more done and see how this progresses! Keep it up guys!
  • Gadorian
    Offline / Send Message
    Gadorian polycounter lvl 7
    Hi all, good luck with the challenge!
    I'm also joining the fun. :)

here i used photoshop's vanishing point effect to get better idea of the proportions.
    V2LQ5J2.jpg

here's my progress so far.
    TNvP6TV.jpg

gviV1ZC.jpg
  • Ryandec
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryandec polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, been on poly count for a bit now so I figured I should join in with the monthly challenge, decided to start with a weapon since I haven't really done much weapons or hand painted stuff, here is where its at so far! Ill also be doing the environment as well after I completed this. PS open to all crits and suggestions! :)

52WITy6.jpg
  • ZombieDawgs
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Gadorian wrote: »
    Hi all, good luck with the challenge!
    I'm also joining the fun. :)

here i used photoshop's vanishing point effect to get better idea of the proportions.
    V2LQ5J2.jpg

This might sound silly, but after using that did you bring it out with Photoshop's 3d abilities or just use it to assist you in creating it? This looks really useful!
  • GxD11
    Offline / Send Message
    GxD11 polycounter lvl 10
    Had fun working on last months prop so gonna jump on this one too. Haven't had much practice with weapons so my idea is making 2 versions of axe 3, one more higher poly with Normal/Spec/Gloss, and a low poly hand painted one. If I finish both ill probably add the other axes as well but low poly/diffuse only. Here's what I got so far for the high poly. Any suggestions on how to model the cloth on it?
    drNSAF2.jpg
    @Ryandec: Its looking really good. Id lower the polygons on the spiky back part of the axe though.
    This might sound silly, but after using that did you bring it out with Photoshop's 3d abilities or just use it to assist you in creating it? This looks really useful!
    I was actually wondering the same thing. xD
  • Gadorian
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs, i just used it as guide for my the measurements.
    For example, the roof grid has 8x13 squares, i rounded it to 8x12 for convenience and made my roof 8 by 12 meters.
    this way i can cut it in modular pieces of 4x4 meters.
    don't know if i explained myself, but hope it helps someone.
  • DottyPixel
    Here's a start to my prop challenge. I'm going to go with the hand painted route, as this is an area a rarely get to play with and would love to get into it more.

axe_lp_01_zps3d9027ba.jpg
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    Evening two of being able to work on the environment, it is slowly getting there. Is anyone else finding it difficult to get dimensions and scale correct?

It is probably just because of the angle of the camera and cartoon style but I find myself having to change sizes of everything quite regularly :\.

Anyway this is where I am upto, I'll try and do some tomorrow before I go on holiday :)

8dZWEpS.jpg
  • ZombieDawgs
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    ZombieDawgs, i just used it as guide for my the measurements.
    For example, the roof grid has 8x13 squares, i rounded it to 8x12 for convenience and made my roof 8 by 12 meters.
    this way i can cut it in modular pieces of 4x4 meters.
    don't know if i explained myself, but hope it helps someone.

Nope, you explained it pretty well, thanks!
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work so far, especially on the axes. :)

I worked a little bit on the texture of mine:
    day_2_by_dethling-d7xvyv2.jpg
    Next step is the handle (will try to use the one from axe No2^^)

P.S.: please ignore the artifacts on the rings, it seems ddo (i use it for the render shots only) thought that this were some special material...
  • doomprodigy
    Offline / Send Message
    doomprodigy polycounter lvl 5
    Thought I might join in on a single axe. Going to do a sculpt. Quick prep in maya before heading to zbrush.

NLoHJfR.png

EDIT:
    doomprodigy, nice sculpt, but at this angle it looks a bit "fat", would be nice to see it from the front view :)

I know it is a little fat, I'm unsure on the thickness to go for. Here is the front view in maya.
    kRQL3Wn.png
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    all looking god.. makes me wanna try one too :(
    must see if i can squeeze it in
  • Gadorian
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling, thats a fine paintjob there
    doomprodigy, nice sculpt, but at this angle it looks a bit "fat", would be nice to see it from the front view :)

update on my blockout scene
    69oR3RN.jpg
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some work done on the fire particles. I think that they could still be vastly improved, but I'm not immediately sure how to proceed.

http://gfycat.com/DeliciousScalyArabianwildcat

I also revised the textures a little bit.

Doom: That thickness doesn't look too bad to me. You might want to change the shape some so that it's closer to being a hatchet in the broad part of the blade.

erWX3l4.png

If you look at the blade from the top, it would probably look like the first image (what I've drawn is greatly simplified of course.) It might make it more believable if it looked like the second image instead.
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, can someone link me to the thread where it was discussed why people should steer away from dDo? Trying to back track but not having any luck
  • Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfido polycounter lvl 11
    Here is what I have so far.

JAq7kRG.jpg
  • cpullma1
    Offline / Send Message
    cpullma1 polycounter lvl 5
    This is where I am at so far on the axe. Currently I have only made the diffuse and most of the normal map.

@GxD11: I am really liking how clean your geometry is. Very nice work so far!

@CatalystFire: You are rocking it up! I'm excited to see it all textured.

shortAxeV02.jpg
  • Ryandec
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work everyone! Just a quick question for everybody, what are you guys rendering you stuff in? cause Im not sure what to use and I think I might just put it into a game engine when its completed :D
  • Gadorian
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryandec, I'm modelling in Modo, and plan to put the level in UE4.
  • Rawbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    Can't wait for more updates :D
    Here's mine so far

18j8iRo.jpg

uAiCirL.jpg
  • JaySmitt
    Offline / Send Message
    JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
    Some progress on my blockout, taking my time and trying to match everything up best I can. mqqNvNO.png

I also used Epic Games tool Carapace to quickly get in perspective lines helping me line up the camera in maya. Here's a quick paintover over my ref to help anyone with matching perspective. kRLQkSk.png

It's not 100% accurate but it works, I found that the concept itself has skewed perspective which is most often the case with concept art.
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on the basic texture for the axe today, unfortunately I'm not very happy with the handle and the top, have to redo this and figure out something better...

Axe_day3.jpg
    Axe_Dif.jpg
  • Ryandec
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

So I kinda finished my axe now, there are some areas that could be improved upon but I think it turned out ok since this isn't my preferred area to work in :). So think i will leave it at that for a weeks work. Going to move on to the environment now! any crits and improvements for the axe are welcome :) might touch it up in the future.

512x512 texture
    1154 tris

J4IT8EP.jpg
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    Okay, so I have basically been working lightly this week to adjust my low poly models. Each one came in at roughly 400-500 polys. After I unwrapped them I moved to get a nice layout on the combined UVWs and throw on the source as a texture. So this is what I got.
    hoEQWUa.gif

Yes I just basically tried to mirror the images and you can see the basic pieces of the texture popping up (should be the pale blue). This is a test to just create a small poly project. Now that this is done I'll push my polycount even higher to get a better layout before sending it to zBrush.

That is if I don't get lost in Destiny.
  • Terebellum
    @Zerogun your weapon look awesome. If you wanted something else to do you could add a glow and more fire looking effects to the last one.

@Rawbert Your environment is coming along great. love the water tanks on the buildings.

Everyone is doing great work can't wait to see more.

Well here is my progress so far. The angle is pretty tricky to get right, but it is from a concept picture so that is to be expected I guess.

gGOFgcM.png

All of the buildings are modeled, got some touch ups to do still then i'll start modeling the smaller things like the water tanks, ladder and palm tree.

Ps. Its terrible lighting I know im not bothering with it yet
  • Sk8rSeth
    Compared to some of you guys, mine looks terrible. Seriously good work guys!
    particularly the renderings, i LOVE that soft white high quality look! im trying to learn how to do that in maya right now. but here is my progress;

little late to the game, but better late than never right?
    14996883799_e18c330dda_o.pngRender Progress1
    only one photo for now, but im working on a wireframe render and obviously the rest of the scene.

Concept is just on a plane in the background for reference and 'skybox'
  • Supposable Lion
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    My blockout:

NCSept2014Blockout.jpg

I tried to match up to the perspective in the concept art in Maya then i just brought it all here. Needs a bit more adjustments. :P

@Zerogun Wow. That already looks nice pre-Zbrush.

@Ryandec The texturing almost matches up to the concept. The handle is a little thin compared to the concept.
  • Wulf
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
    You guys are off to a good start with the block-outs, keep pushing them forward. Good job on trying to fix the perspective issues JaySmitt.

Also, these axes are looking pretty good so far.

I would participate in this month's challenge but I have other projects I am working on. :(
  • dpixeel
    Offline / Send Message
    dpixeel polycounter lvl 14
    Here are my block out so far.
    Need a little more tweak here and there. Then I can go on next phase.

progress002.jpg
  • Bomber
    Offline / Send Message
    Bomber polycounter lvl 8
    1906 tris (probably too many, I think). :poly141:

AUKeWGK.jpg
  • Ryandec
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work guys everyone is working pretty quickly :)
    here is an update on the environment concept stuff I joined in on after finishing the weapon.
    the camera angle and proportions are quite tricky on this!

u7awbcz.jpg

@bomber nice work on the axe, looking good. Could maybe add some scratches and stuff to make it a bit worn, but I dunno :)