Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge August 2014 (22)

Replies

• tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi guys I feel like I'm the only one spamming here.. well I finally founded one of the washing machine the concept artist used for the concept so I've added to my environment so here you have:

Ipso-CW8-Commercial-Washing-Machine-Coin-Operated.jpg

and mine with some tiny normals and albedo-emissive in the environment what I've doing small assets:

UYMdoX7.jpg
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Hipoly: ZA001117936.gif
    Lowpoly: ZA001117936.gif
    uDUPBei.png

Bake: ZA001117936.gif
    ZNczFzK.png

Albedo (with some AO on top): WIP
    vz6HT2d.png
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher007 polycounter lvl 8
    Aaand done with the main parts. I was quite struggling with the gloss map as I have never done anything with this level of detail, also never done any layered stuff either. So I'm more than open to any crits. :)

Also I'm not sure if I need a specular/metallic map and if yes, what is it for? I used Marmoset for this render but eventually I would like to use it in UE4.

4K3L5jk.png

Here is my Gloss map:
    bwpHl0M.jpg

Next task: making the glass and the potatoes. :)
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Fischer007: The specular input in Unreal Engine 4 is different from the specular input in Toolbag. In UE4 it's a tweak that lets you introduce variations in specularity for dielectric materials, where white corresponds to around .08 in Toolbag specularity and black corresponds to 0 in Toolbag specularity. You shouldn't worry about it too much (except for water, whose specularity you should tone down somewhere around .2 in UE4 specularity) unless you find a source online that says a material has a particular amount of specularity. I don't know for sure what range of specularity UE4 allows you to use in dielectrics, so if WarrenM or someone who knows something could chime in I would appreciate learning something new.

The metallic map in UE4 does in one channel what the specular color map does in three. UE4 looks at the metallic map, and if it's white in a particular texel it will shade the corresponding pixel by taking the base color and using it as the specular color. If it's black in a particular texel, it will shade the corresponding pixel by taking the base color and using it as the diffuse color, and then using the specular input (or the default specular color) as a value of base reflectivity, then adding specular color around the edges of your model according to Fresnel.

In other words: metallic 1 will shade it like metal, metallic 0 will shade it like plastic. To determine whether you need a metallic map, ask yourself whether your entire object is made of metal, or made of dielectric materials. If either is true, you can just put a constant 1 or 0 into the metallic input, otherwise you'll need a texture.

When you paint a metallic map, you should generally only paint with black or white, and use the eraser to precisely define the edges. If you have thin rust spots or something your metallic map will end up being gray in spots, but you wouldn't paint grey to get that effect. In most cases, something is either metal or it's not. So, to make this particular map, you should determine which parts of the vending machine are made from metal and which are not and paint accordingly.
  • bobmartien
    Offline / Send Message
    bobmartien polycounter lvl 11
    bobmartien wrote: »
    AzUHKxd.jpg

And here is my LOWPOLY. (9K tri)
    UVs are done too.
    I'm working on texture and I need to re-bake

8SY9Ghs.jpg
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    Wires from hi-poly:
    IC3YH89.png

Without wires (before sculpting):
    olSVchq.png

And progress:
    OqsHCZt.png
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    SO I think I'm at the point my hi-med poly count Dispenser is finished for the moment. I'm working on the low poly now so I can bake it down and hopefully maybe throw it in DDO for a bit of testing/fun.
    hN9bPlm.jpg
    Critiques VERY much welcome. Kthanksluvyoubye
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Pennywise polycounter lvl 18
    Well I am really late on this one, and I have no hope of finishing it up by the end of the month. I really liked the concept thought, so decided to give it a shot. I still have a little work left I want to do on the HP before I start setting up the LP mesh.

SpaceVendingMachine_06.jpg
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Potatoes installed! Just in time. :) I wanted to stick to the concept as strictly as I can, fixing only obvious issues. I hope I managed to do so. :)

aDOuvf2.jpg

LeH99Fl.jpg

Pennywise: Your bake looks really good. What is the polycount? One thing to mention, keep an eye on the polyflow (I hope that this is the right word). There are places that look incredibly high-poly, which is fine depending on your aims, but then there shouldn't be jaggyness. :) (mostly on the larger shapes higher up, like the outskirt of the vent, the top shoulders)
    Can you post a wireframe?
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher, thats looking really good so far. Nice job.

As for mine right now thats just the HP mesh. I am going to be starting on the LP next. I dont have a lot of experience baking yet. This will probably be the most complex asset that I have done.
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Pennywise: Thanks! Btw, I was pretty amazed by your "bake", but then this explains it. :D I assume that you used subD, why is the jaggynes then? I made a crappy paintover, hope it helps.
    qC8RnMX.jpg

The blue arrow means that there is no edge, you can see into the mesh.
    So I would duplicate this mesh, for the HP use some SubD (like turbosmooth), there shouldn't be any non-smooth surface on it. For the LP just remove the tiny details, for example the ones that I painted with yellow. This is just a quick hint, there are much more that can be simplified on the LP but that's your decision depending on your aims and budged. What is your polycount? This project was my first proper bake as well. One advice that I learnt the hard way: explode your mesh. :)

JedTheKrampus: I forgot to thank you, I have already read a few articles on PBR but this definitely helped a lot! :) Although an interesting bit, I have read at other places as well that one should use only yes or no with metalic, but I used 0.5. It was far better than either 0 or 1. Strange. :)
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I kind of made the mistake when I first started the model. I was going to make the LP first and then I switched about 1/2 way through and changed it to the HP. So there are are areas I need to smooth some more before I start my bake. Thanks for pointing it out though. I should have them fixed in the next update
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Not many environments?.. well tell me what you think! And I'll finish this to date! Only a 15 day project :)

dV7UTwB.jpg
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher007 wrote: »
    aDOuvf2.jpg

Nice renders.:poly121:
    tulkas09 wrote: »
    Hey guys! Not many environments?..

Well..that prop just screamed "Choose me!".

Albedo is done:
    1DNZDKg.png
    vWhXBV5.png

Edit: Was playing with layer modes (multiply, overlay, mix...):
    2tvP93P.png
    Borderlands!
  • OldSalty
    Offline / Send Message
    OldSalty polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys! Not many environments?.. well tell me what you think! And I'll finish this to date! Only a 15 day project :)

SpfRJcf.jpg

You've done an awesome job on this environment, almost identical to the concept art. I am attempting to do this environment as well, but haven't had much time and I'm not doing to well. You should show some works in progress or wire frames or what you did to make the textures/materials. It would be really helpful.

Nice work :)
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    I've got the day free for this, so I'll be posting the prop as I go along. Everyone's stuff is looking awesome!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Fisher007: If you have to have metallic .5, there's probably something wrong with the base color. Metals need to have quite a bright base color to look right, and you also need to make sure that you have a light probe / cubemap capture / environment capture / environment probe / whatever it's called in your engine of choice that makes the metal look good.
  • blackkeys25
    Love your work tulkas09 , great job for 15 days. I haven't had much time with school but should at least get the prop done and into UE4. Got to put the heavy detail in but here is what I have so far..

Low_Poly_Textured_zps85fd8966.jpg
  • TwoSuns
    Offline / Send Message
    TwoSuns polycounter lvl 7

dV7UTwB.jpg

Impressive work nailing the look and feel of the concept! For a moment I thought the it was the original concept from another angle.

What mainly stood out to me were:
      The dryers stacked on the left could use a few more polys on their cylindrical openings. It's what made me realize your screenshot was a 3D one.
      The black lines between the tiles might be a little too strong and distract a bit from the rest of your work.

Otherwise, great job on the scene!
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    I quess it's done... Any notes, notices, critiques? (besides engine used to render it ;) ) Something to do untill next concept gets picked.

[SKETCHFAB]0d6e81069a1041c792083da0e518b02c[/SKETCHFAB]

rgzvigc.png
  • blackkeys25
    Well this is all I could get done, learnt heaps from this prop. Hopefully will get the time to do a whole environment soon, but school is pretty full on at the moment. I know this is a bit dark but I thought it suited to prop. Probably not everyones style but I like it. JustMeSR, I love what you did with the back man with the pipes. I would say you just need to take some time and add a bit more detail to your textures, and add a little more geometry to clean up the silhouette.

Ben_Colwell_UE4_LOW_POLY_zps297f9fa5.jpg
  • GxD11
    Offline / Send Message
    GxD11 polycounter lvl 10
    Had a lot of fun making the prop :). Went with Unity since its the engine I know how to work with. I probably could have detailed the side panels a bit more and lowered the tri count (9393 tris) a bit more after seeing the models uploaded here, which look amazing.
    dWh0kJO.jpg
    MY7KUVB.jpg
    @Zerogun: I'd add some beveling on the top part of the prop, and the width for the center section where the potatoes goes seem too thin. Also the holes for the grate on the bottom are too large compared to the concept.
  • KennyTies
    Here is my contribution for this month. Hopefully I finishing the texture by tomorrow. Although I have learned a lot and was able to stay under my tri count of 1500. noobvendmachine8_30_zpsff572a7f.jpg
  • blackkeys25
    Just thought I would chuck in my Wireframe and maps. Went a bit over budget with 13000 tris but wanted it to be something I could possibly put in my portfolio.

Low_Poly_Wireframe_zps69bafcbc.jpg

Maps_zps5b2c6d66.jpg
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR:

It looks good! Just a few issues, other than a few special cases, you should always keep an even texel ratio on the textures. For example, your number dialer's UV is half the size of the whole front piece. When UVW-ing apply a checkerboard texture and try to keep an even checker size on every piece. Also the holes on the switch box (or generator box?) are quite uneven. Having a nice symmetrical pattern would improve the overall quality even further. :)

I'm having trouble making a proper lighting setup in UE4. :( Ligthmass hates me.

This is with dynamic lights:
    Iicu7eX.png

And this is with baked lightmaps. There are terrible so many shadow errors and I have already tried changing all the settings but nothing helped. Also the overall quality is nothing like the dynamic lights, wtf? :(
    Mascd1X.jpg

Any ideas?
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, so the final hours! Enjoyed so much doing it, as you all, the props are looking great, and don't try to skip doing the potato!

I've half a video of the environment with some "gameplay" done with some blueprints. What I'll upload later, I have to say that I've done all what you have told me, more polys in some areas, add dirt, change floors a bit.

Conclusion: Have to say that trying to do the same light as the concept was very hard, I'm using postprocess, 2 fogs, some static lights(plus the 2 principal lights..). After all, I'm so happy, it was only a 15 day project and I learn a lot :D

So my final shots:
    The concept one
    s4cA3Bg.jpg
    Two others views:
    9FO0a8D.jpg
    mZcH4Nv.jpg
  • blackkeys25
    @Fisher007 Lightmaps can be a bitch man, from your errors it looks like there is some bleeding where there would be a small UV gap. It's hard to tell without seeing your lightmap, but if it is baked, changing the settings wont help, the problem would be in the bake itself maybe?
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally I managed to make a proper render. I really wanted to fake a scene with a background, but not sure about the end result. :susp: What do you think about it? Should I put it into my portfolio?

hPGqicx.png

blackkeys25: I know, I still couldn't fix it. It isn't caused by the UVs I tried to modify it but no change. But at least after two weeks it seems that an Epic guy started to deal with the issue.
  • KustomZero
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    Fisher your vending machine looks sick man, really nice work!

Unfortunately i wasn't able to finish the Vending Machine in time but I want to complete this challenge so bad. today I nearly finished my Highpoly. Have to do some more details in zBrush like wear and dents and stuff but yea, hope it is okay if i still post my progess in here.

wweCiUO.jpg