Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge September 2013 (11)

Replies

• AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    @inwar looking really nice, very warm colours.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    May I ask how everyone is approaching the floor?

Are they merely making 4-5 different tiles or is it baked onto a plane? I'm having difficulty in what to do as there are half tiles....
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    for me the half tiles in the corner are just half sized normal tiles. I will vertex paint the cracks and damage.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat wrote: »
    for me the half tiles in the corner are just half sized normal tiles. I will vertex paint the cracks and damage.

Yea, so have you made each tile individually, a tileable set of tiles or merely a plane?

May I see a texture sheet and wireframe PLEASE :D itll help me out a ton
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    Floor.jpg

The floor is just a tiling texture. The part of the floor with smaller tiles is just another poly with scaled UV's.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Floor.jpg

The floor is just a tiling texture. The part of the floor with smaller tiles is just another poly with scaled UV's.

Ah so in theory your floor is like 5-6 polygons, with cutouts on the UVs for additional sections... do they need to actually join by vertex/edge or can they just snap together as seperate pieces.

Cheers
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11

same here the small strip is just half sized normal tiles. As for the cracks i used a mask using the light map uvs as vertex painting doesn't really give enough control as the cracks start to bleed into tiles you don't want them to. Thats if you are trying to replicate the concept tho otherwise you could use vertex painting. i just placed the mask texture into a channel of one of the height maps im using for the floor.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar wrote: »
    same here the small strip is just half sized normal tiles. As for the cracks i used a mask using the light map uvs as vertex painting doesn't really give enough control as the cracks start to bleed into tiles you don't want them to. Thats if you are trying to replicate the concept tho otherwise you could use vertex painting. i just placed the mask texture into a channel of one of the height maps im using for the floor.

May I see a wireframe of your floor with textures on display?

Itd greatly clear up misunderstanding and be greatly appreciated!!!
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    May I see a wireframe of your floor with textures on display?

Itd greatly clear up misunderstanding and be greatly appreciated!!!

uc8oo4f.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar wrote: »
    uc8oo4f.jpg

Amazing. I know this sounds demanding; but could I also see the UV's of those? so I can see how its split so to speak.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing. I know this sounds demanding; but could I also see the UV's of those? so I can see how its split so to speak.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!

And I just realised; you did the entire room; and put the wood planks ONTOP of the floor not level with it; does this mean your planks are not individual polygons but full meshes?
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    And I just realised; you did the entire room; and put the wood planks ONTOP of the floor not level with it; does this mean your planks are not individual polygons but full meshes?

rectangular box with bottom faces deleted. tho i may have to change this as it doesnt match the concept very well as its too blocky :(
    nihH8tj.jpg

edit: this is uv 1
    xGTn9YT.gif
    and uv 2 for light map which i used my mask on to blend to cracked version of my texture
    it8Ehyz.jpg

and im sorry for the image spam everyone else :(
  • monkeymintaka
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
    Here's where I'm at: got most major things modeled and UVed. I need to work on the lightmap UVs though, which are the bane of my existence.
    001_udk_blockout.jpg

I still don't have any high poly stuff, or textures. So I guess taht's my next step to give me a break from UVing.

@inwar: I really love what you have so far, the wood textures are really cool.

Also, General question: how are people thinking about doing the lighting? I can't think of a way to have the door light, without modeling extra geometry?
  • Hunter0626
    Just a random hypothetical question to everyone participating in this:

Even though there isn't a stated poly limit, what would you say would be the most practical or rational poly limit for this scene?
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    Hunter0626 wrote: »

Even though there isn't a stated poly limit, what would you say would be the most practical or rational poly limit for this scene?

well im probably goin be at 20-30k tris mark at the end that is proabaly alot more then some of the other people have used tho.:/
  • Fidrik
    here is mine so far

[IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/<a href=http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/Fidrikdwarf/media/PolyCount/Highres_Screenshot_00001_zpsdc9f5113.png.html target=_blank>[/img]Highres_Screenshot_00001_zpsdc9f5113.png
    Highres_Screenshot_00001_zpsdc9f5113.png

Trying to get the lighting right its to dark atm, not really that good at doing lighting. Im using the emmisive map as a light, is that a good idea or is it better to use point lights?

Also, not sure how to get the shadow of the window on the back wall. I've put a spotlight near the window but its still to bright for a shadow to be there I think.

I have a question about lightmaps aswell. Is it better to have loads of meshes lightmaps in one large UV space, or have a single lightmap for every object? and how big are light maps usually?

I want to get better at hand painting textures too so any feed back would be appreciated.

Learned a lot from people showing how they did things, all the scenes look really nice.
  • Elzy
    Hunter0626 wrote: »

Depends really. As there's no ground rules like tri count or texture size limit etc, its totally up to the person which I think is kinda bad for learning. As far as I'm aware you'll basically be given limitations when given a piece of work from a company, this would include tri count per asset, texture sizes and types of maps etc etc.

I kind of get the feeling that's why a lot of people that are able to do amazing sculpts and assets find it hard to get into the industry, their stuff looks good because its 3million polys and took 2 days to render out. I could be totally wrong of-course but its given me the mind set of setting myself limitations on a project during the breakdown stage.

For this paticular project I said no asset over 500 polys and no textures larger than 1024x1024. However I have allowed myself to use Diffuse, Spec, Gloss, Normal & Self Illumination maps where needed.

My highpoly scene is currently sitting at 8.5k polys (16.5 tris) missing only the pillows.

Current WIP :

WipMidsept_zps7647250d.png
  • Hunter0626
    Elzy wrote: »
    Depends really. As there's no ground rules like tri count or texture size limit etc, its totally up to the person which I think is kinda bad for learning. As far as I'm aware you'll basically be given limitations when given a piece of work from a company, this would include tri count per asset, texture sizes and types of maps etc etc.

I kind of get the feeling that's why a lot of people that are able to do amazing sculpts and assets find it hard to get into the industry, their stuff looks good because its 3million polys and took 2 days to render out. I could be totally wrong of-course but its given me the mind set of setting myself limitations on a project during the breakdown stage.

For this paticular project I said no asset over 500 polys and no textures larger than 1024x1024. However I have allowed myself to use Diffuse, Spec, Gloss, Normal & Self Illumination maps where needed.

My highpoly scene is currently sitting at 8.5k polys (16.5 tris) missing only the pillows.

Yea thats what I was thinking. Mine is at around 8 thousand polys as well but I am remodeling and cleaning up polys when I can. I completely agree that it's quite difficult to learn the limits of the industry if we don't really know the specifications of what would be industry standard for certain projects.

I guess we will find out in the coming weeks what everyones take on this will be. Lucky for me I am also doing this as a school project and the final day is on Tuesday so I am going to hopefully have this done by then.
  • GxD11
    Offline / Send Message
    GxD11 polycounter lvl 10
    Great work by everyone, probably getting into this pretty late but i wanna give it a try. Worked on a basic block out during lunch and worked the rest at home till now. Gonna double check the measurements to make sure everything fits properly and keep working on the rest of the props. I'm mostly used to characters or props, so im hoping to get some knowledge doing a whole scene.
    pgiy.jpg
    qwoz.jpg

@inwar: Looks pretty much done, love the the lighting and texture looks amazing. Great job!
  • AzzaMat
  • staceanator
    Offline / Send Message
    staceanator polycounter lvl 3
    Great work everyone, really inspiring stuff to check out everyday.

I've just about finished the blockout and most of the assets, need to tidy up a couple of the props and then start looking into texturing. Thats a totally new disapline for me so really looking forward to the challenge.

tumblr_mt655ruMwS1rbhbsho2_1280.jpg

@inwar & azzamat both of your scenes look great. Loving the textures and screengrabs of your workflow its really helped me figure out how to approach a few things, enough to make me think about giving handpainted textures a go!
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    f22TIFh.jpg

Had a lot of fun texturing this, having a look at it now I want to go back and change the floor textures I did because it's looking very inconsistent at the moment. I also used Azzamat's trick to do my jar which works super well - am thinking of doing something similar with the lanterns to give them a glow, but have a feeling the chains might cause problems.

@Inwar, yours is coming along great but I think your floor tiles look a bit too dirty or have too much contrast.

@m4dcow, I think you said your textures aren't done yet but I think they could use a lot more warmer colours, it's looking very dry at the moment. Unless you plan to add that all in with lighting or something of course. I really like the detail you have on the top of your posts.

@cmtanko, I really like your textures, keep an eye on the different amounts of contrast in your bar area, compared to the tables and walls, though. Also I'm not sure if it's just place holder but I think you should make your stool look more like the concept, it looks a bit odd as it is.

So much good work from everyone, I hope I get some more time to work on this soon.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    My blockout:

ou90.jpg

Progress has been slow due to work commitments:(

*BIG THANKS TO In-War for the help on hangouts and on here*
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    some more refinement with textures
    KIYgwjT.gif?1
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Pennywise polycounter lvl 18
    Here are a few shots of my latest. It's been pretty slow going so far. Got the bar modeled and in UDK, with base textures. Still lots left to do.

ScreenShot06.jpg

ScreenShot07.jpg
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    @penny floor looks like chess, try to reduce contrast and value diference between shallows

next step
    2lb6f4.png
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    some progress. Pipes and hinged part of bar put in. long part near wall still needs to be done and the closer long part needs to be re-done. Alot of the wood in the scene is simply block colour with ao/normals. i want to give them the same treatment i gave the table.
    c11Wip2-1.jpg
    and i played around with some ideas for the jar(the material. mesh is placeholder)
    c11Wip2-2.jpg
  • GxD11
    Offline / Send Message
    GxD11 polycounter lvl 10
    Worked on it as much as i could over the weekend. Leaving the rest of the props for after i finish the main tileable textures and most of the UVs. I think im leaning toward a hand painted feel for the textures, very motivated after seeing how great the hand painted textures are turning out. :)

ybxz.jpg
    fzda.jpg
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Navi271 polycounter lvl 4
    I've been falling behind on getting things done. I'm just now experimenting with UV's and textures. All the assets aren't even made yet. Please excuse the crappy quality of this JPEG...

cb2314e0-3109-4da1-bcf4-62c94b87f8a6_zpsd4e799ad.jpg

The floor texture is temporary. I was trying to see if my UV layout was going to work.

I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong in anyone else's work, and it's awesome to see how many different ways things are interpreted/executed. The blockouts and textures are looking quite good.
  • Hunter0626
    First post. Incredibly late I know, but up until now I kind of forgot to post any updates on what I was doing. I am also doing this for a school project which is due tomorrow so I am going to have a rough project to turn in and refine it till the end of the month. So far this is in Maya
    e4WG1le.jpg
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Cool!
    You have a lot done so far. One thing I'm noticing is that the wooden bar or counter has a different color tone than the rest of the scene. It makes it look like it's from a separate set of assets for a different project.

For everyone else, just remember to make sure you save separate versions/files of your scene in case something happens to the file you're currently working on. It's been a while since I 3D modeled this much in maya, and I was trying something stupid to see if it would work. Maya ended up crashing as I was saving the scene and it corrupted the file! Thankfully Maya has some sort of recovery system and saved my butt!

Good news is after tonight I'm almost done modeling out the all larger assets in the scene.
  • Hunter0626
    Navi271 wrote: »
    ^ Cool!
    You have a lot done so far. One thing I'm noticing is that the wooden bar or counter has a different color tone than the rest of the scene. It makes it look like it's from a separate set of assets for a different project.

For everyone else, just remember to make sure you save separate versions/files of your scene in case something happens to the file you're currently working on. It's been a while since I 3D modeled this much in maya, and I was trying something stupid to see if it would work. Maya ended up crashing as I was saving the scene and it corrupted the file! Thankfully Maya has some sort of recovery system and saved my butt!

Good news is after tonight I'm almost done modeling out the all larger assets in the scene.

Oh god yes! I have a plan I use with incremental saves so I don't take up too much space with a lot of saves but still have previous files to fall back on. Every 3rd or 4th save (when I remember or every 10 minutes) I save a new file.
    It makes it easier to not crowd up too much stuff.

And thank you for the advice about the counter. I was already thinkin of altering the planks and wall planks because they seem too vibrant for the concept.
    Good thing you got a lot done :) I'm gunna try to work on it more but ironically my hard drive decided to go ninja mode and won't read on any computer so it's basically inaccessible. I'm hoping I can figure out a way to recover the data or most of my work since my last back up (including finals) will be lost .
    Hope to see more updates :)
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I've been slacking, but in any case here is my progress (bar top and cabinets). In retrospect I should have done the metal bits as separate geometry as a few have done, but too late for that now. I also have some skewing in my normal map from cage projection, but I can live with it.

drVAFDz.jpg
  • SirSpangles
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    This is awesome, I recently came across this concept online and immediately wanted to model it. Though I for some reason still cannot post my work on here, even though I have been a member for a little while now. Very frustrating
  • JayGarcia_
    Offline / Send Message
    JayGarcia_ polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Guys

Well this is my first Noob Challenge, and ive worked on this as much as i can with finals going on and all. Im aiming to finish the modeling this week, that way so i can focus on texturing all throughout next week. Everyone has such good progress i need to keep up !!
  • Saiblade
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiblade polycounter lvl 12
    Just recently found out about these so first time participating. Lot of good texture work coming from a lot of you. Hand painted style is definitely what I want to try when I saw the concept. I'm just about to finish modeling the scene a few props are missing. Been working on it slowly over the last two weeks.

JvvzfJE.jpg
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Chugging along... made my table, and made the texture so I could get a barrel model out of it too, I'll probably throw a bunch of those in the basement.
    AZoJtG2.png
    9oOJDsf.jpg
    Next is seating...
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    @AzzaMat: Love the choice of putting particle in the light cone. Another question I have is how did you do the cone? Great work so far. Really looking forward to seeing your finished piece.

@m4dcow: Lovely work on the bar. My only suggestion would be to pay attention to how the stone oven has an arched shape at the bottom of the wooden piece.

Despite not being even anywhere done with textures (there aren't any yet), I started playing around with the lighting. Edit: I really need to brighten up the lights.
    HJOTs9Y.jpg
  • inwar
  • Fidrik
    Here is mine now, could still work on it but I'm starting Uni on Monday. Quite happy with it as im still new to hand painted textures. Need to learn how to do lighting properly though.

ScreenShot00008_zpse8a190bc.png
    ScreenShot00008_zpse8a190bc.png.html
  • Elzy
    Very quick pic before I head to bed. Getting there slowly and we're getting close to the end now so alittle worried I might not have enough time to finish :(
    Almost_Done_zps353fa2d0.png
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
  • Pennywise
    Offline / Send Message
    Pennywise polycounter lvl 18
    Well the clock is ticking and I am pretty sure I will not have mine done by the end of the month. Here is my progress for the week.

ScreenShot11.jpg

ScreenShot12.jpg
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    Having not been happy that I've missed a week of work. Here is my work so far.
    9909346096_5455b70862_c.jpg
    Need to adjust some textures and finish up some pieces obviously.
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on textures today, even though I'm still not done with some of the models! However, I think I'll be able to get some things into UDK tomorrow.

SimpleBar05_zpsd19bd188.jpeg

SimpleBar06_zps407e0dd2.jpeg

I'm really enjoying hand painting textures so far.

Fidrik - There are so many things you can change and adjust for lighting like the light radius, falloff, and intensity that it usually becomes just a bunch of trial and error for me. Light resolution in UDK also takes time to mess around with, but I'm not sure what engine you're using.

Pennywise - I really like how you've changed things up but still are able to carry the original tone and feeling of the scene.

One question tho, not having to do with the scene. I'm noticing some of the images others are putting up are a much better quality than mine. What's your secret?! Mine are JPEG's uploaded to Photobucket, and I know the free version of Photobucket kills the quality.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    @Navi271 I use imgur to upload my stuff, sometimes png, sometimes not, I haven't really bothered to check what sort of compression they apply. I also use a screenshot program called greenshot, that will upload directly to imgur and copy the link to the clipboard, which makes uploading the screenshots a little bit less of a hassle.

Did the curved bench and pillows, I kitbashed some of the bar pieces in zbrush to get it done quicker, hence the difference in style. Also started blocking out the pipes and sink.
    lV53GTh.png

4PHPBFA.png
  • Endzeit
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Looks pretty good what you guys did.
    I've become really slow, almost no progress.

But today i did my very first handpainted texture!

nZ0QQk1.jpg
  • pikamau5
    Offline / Send Message
    pikamau5 polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, some neat wood textures posted here :)

Here's my work in progress, baking in some preview lightmaps in UDK:

PNplTe0.png
  • Rokasana
    FirstRenderMaya.jpeg
    This is just my first render of the scene. Still textureing and working with the floor.