Home Unreal Engine

Global changes to LODBIAS or TEXTUREGROUPS?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

I would like to take some crisp screenshots of an environment. Everything is downscaled 1 or 2 LODs atm.
In the BaseEngine.ini I changed the LODBIAS to -2 for all the texturegroups, but it has no effect in the engine.

Doe anyone know a way to globally set all texture to max res, either with LODBIAS -2 or TextureGroup Cinematic, without the need to go into every single texture and do it manually?

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You can try this; make a shortcut to the game exe and put this after the path
    -MAXQUALITYMODE -NOTEXTURESTREAMING

so your shortcut would look something like this:
    C:\UDK\UDK-2011-07\Binaries\UDKLift.exe  -MAXQUALITYMODE -NOTEXTURESTREAMING

I haven't checked UE4 but in UE3 this used to turn of the lodgroups, and turn off the texture streaming. So each texture would be displayed at the size it was on disc.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks, Sprunghunt. I am already doing that, and it doesnt change the LOD level, unfortunately. If you have any other ideas, please share :)
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    did you try changing the texturegroup settings in the baseEngine.ini? Rather than changing the LODbias setting try changing the actual min and max texture sizes?

this stuff:
    [SystemSettings]
    ; NOTE THAT ANY ITEMS IN THIS SECTION WILL AFFECT ALL PLATFORMS!!!

TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I just had a thought.

If you're trying to display images bigger than 4096 it might not be supported by your video card at all. So it doesn't matter what you do you'll never display the textures at max resolution.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Oh, great idea! I will try that out.
    The max res I am trying to display is 4096.
    I just dont get why the LODBIAS in the baseEngine.ini does not affect the lodbias when I launch the editor.
    Will see if the min texture size works.

But isnt there an easy way to do this? Cinematic teams must have easy access to upressing textures, right?
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for all your help, Sprunghunt. If anyone else reads this, changing the LODBIas in the .ini works. The reason it didnt work for me, was because of a project specific overwrite the programmers had implemented, which I was unaware of.

Thanks!
  • Sinking
    Is this Unreal 4 you are talking about? You can change the LOD settings for each mesh separately if need to. At least I did that completely in-editor. If it's UDK, you are probably right about changing the *.ini files, but that is always such a hassle with keeping backups and track of changes.

Why don't you want to do it manually? Scene that big? I use very modular materials, so one change updates 80% of the level anyway.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Sinking.

Yeah, was UE3, and yeah, there scene and number of objects was way too high to do manually :)