Home› Dota 2

MrSkullface Dota 2 Workshop

Hello! This is my first time messing around with Dota 2 Workshop stuff. I have decided to make a Sven armor set. I didn't plan on it, just sorta happened when I was trying to sculpt concept a Sven helmet. I plan on calling it the Hollow Golem Set. Please let me know what you think and thanks for stopping by.

Concept sculpt:
Sven-Option-3_2.jpg

Concept sculpt:
Sven-Option-1-Wip3.jpg

Zbrush high poly clean up:
Sven-Option-3_4.jpg

Low poly Marmoset test:
sven-hahaha.jpg

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Hi Mrskullface! Love your art.
    Sven is shaping up nicely, I do have some crits for ya though.

First is to be careful of how much detail you're packing into the items. The armor is looking good, the size of the damage is great too, but the weapon looks like it might have a bit too much going on with all the circleshapes/bolts you packed into that bad boy.

second, is to keep in mind the character's animations and how they pose and move in the game. I'm not saying there will be issues, but to keep an eye out for areas (like his shoulderpads) that might shift as soon as the hero is standing properly or running around. It's an easy thing to overlook if you're not familiar with how the hero moves.

good stuff, looking forward to seeing more !
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Yay, love your work!

Everything bounch said is right on the money. Also keep in mind the top down camera perspective which means that a lot of the lower parts of the hero don't get seen quite as much as the ones facing upward.

You already have a top-to-bottom gradient but I'd suggest strengthening the effect by reducing the contrast a bit as you travel down the body. The main issue I'm having is that there isn't really a focal point to the set since everything is quite contrast rich (at least in your lowpoly, it's looks quite a bit better in your cleaned up zBrush render.

Finally, I'd like to add that the heavy use of 90degree angles conflicts a bit with Sven's shape language since he has quite a few flowing lines in his basemesh as well.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx: Thanks for the kind words and the crits! I love your Dota work! I tried to be careful about the sword and not have added at least the rivets but I assumed it looked okay and went with them. I hope that doesn't bite me in the ass : [ As for the skinning it was pretty drastic but I think I made it work, had to alter some things here and there but I think I'm happy with it so far.

Spudnik: Thanks for the kind words and crits! I agree with what you said. I tried to go off what he had on originally try to do something a little different design-wise than what I've already seen done. I was figuring the 90 degree angles would help with a more tank look. I'm sure that will probably be a bad choice in the long run.

Here is an update with him actually in the engine.

in game:
    Sven-Gif-Pose.gif

in game:
    Sven-Idle.gif

portrait:
    Sven-Portrait.gif

in game:
    sven-dota-3.jpg

parts:
    Sven-Parts.jpg

in game:
    Sven-Ingame-1.jpg

in game:
    Sven-Ingame-2.jpg
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sven-Hollow-Golem-Final.jpg

Officially put my Hollow Golem Set for Sven in the Dota 2 Workshop!

Please vote here!
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=321927865

Super thanks to:
    Chris Whitaker, Denny Daphz Zunon, Donald Phan, Patrick Morrison and Christopher Flork TheFlork!!!!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Great job! Upvoted! And welcome to the Workshop, hope you'll enjoy your stay! :)
  • hamstocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamstocks polycounter lvl 5
    that presentation image is really awesome! im really loving the simple background and lighting, great work man!
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto: thanks so much for the vote! regardless to how things pan out I have 3 sets in mind to just make for the heck of it. Doom is next : ] I hope I can start posting things after this weekend.

hamstocks: thanks! It's all cheats!
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    god dammit, there's already enough awesome artists in the dota2 workshop!

Great job man, upvotes given. I like how clean the marketing image is.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    came out great! stoked to see it on the workshop, you got my +1. Also agree with ham, love the promo image, it's really eye catching!
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    awesome! subbed
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmm, good work, but the texture looks really monotone to me. Especially ingame the readability suffers. I'd like to create my own texture for him if you don't mind a collaberation :D
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ: haha thanks for the kind words!

bounchfx: thanks man! And appreciate your vote!

Dylan Brady: thanks! : ]

katzeimsack: Thanks for the crits. I 100% agree with that what you said about the monotone textures. And ill for sure hit you you with a pm for the collab!
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    I have to agree with katze, you can't really differentiate the different parts of him from each other and they all turn into a blob. I can imagine it is even worse on lower settings as only the diffuse texture is used.
    Really nice sword though. Maybe make the straps blue for more svenness in it :D
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt: thank you for the crits! I will keep those in mind with my next set.

Speaking of the next set here is my Doom concept : ]

doom-big-eyes.jpg

dsafafdfdfffff.jpg

doom--wip4.jpg

doom--wip2-2.jpg

doom-1-2.jpg
  • Darren Pinard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darren Pinard polycounter lvl 3
    I really like it! I know this is your concept but dont forget your top to bottom gradients they make a huge difference! I only mention it now cause SVen was missing them also!

Will be following this progress.