Home Dota 2

RUBICK OMAGUS WIP SET

hey folks, this is my first post here but I've been watching the forums in the shadows for some time.

here is the dota 2head piece. I will post the rest of the concept soon. as always your feedback is very important.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=282382919

thank you!
MCCIM

Replies

• MCCIM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almost there...
    Rvt4aGT.png
  • Chaos Prophet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this helm is bad
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    Contrary to Chaos Prophet, I think the helm is one of the best pieces of the set. However, it doesn't quite seem like, well... Rubick. Its got a sort of Digimon feel to it, as opposed to Rubick's "Silly, nutjob magus".

I do like the staff, but the head of it is very confusing. At first, I must confess, I thought it was a gasmask. \then a horse. I assume its a sort of Seahorse design?

I cannot claim to be a fan of the cape, however. It looks too thick, like its made of jelly as oppsoed to fabric. The lefthand shoulder piece is also very simple and doesn't mesh well with the heroes natural curves.

All in all, its not a bad set, but here is plenty of room for improvement.
  • MCCIM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you, that's the kind of pro feedback I always wanted from polycount. I don't wanna use the first set excuse but that's a fact. I just learned how to skin, on the way of how to make good looking quality textures/normals. trying my best to create a product during this learning phase. not sure If I should go back and review pieces, redo textures etc or just move on to another set. about the helmet I could try to replace the white and make new different eyes/lenses.
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    The pieces look good....individually.... but together they are pretty chaotic. they look good, but they dazzle me too much from too many sides, and angles. the ideea is ok, but it`s tiresome to follow every detail and edge.

edit: what i meant was they are not easy to read as a set
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    tip:try sculpting and use the bakes as a base texture to paint over it ,atm your texture is so flat,it got no deepth,shadows,anything,is like you painted on a carboard.also i'd highly sugest you to carefully read this info because masking is also rly importand and you can create insane effects with them.

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2ShaderMaskGuide.pdf
    http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterTextureGuide.pdf

Another important thing is to make people understand what is going on in the set.fer exemple take each piece separatly and think why you make it like this,what does that means.In this case i have no ideea what you aimed with the staff,is like a wierd sea horse ,with flat white spikes behind him? Also the cape is so thick ,you can't even tell is a cape if you wouldn't post a pic with rubick wearing it.The shoulder got a silence image ,but rubick don't have a silence at all.This is what i mean,try to make thing a bit clear and imagine the whole thing as a regular player that don't do items,think why would you want to buy that set? it looks good? it's an interesting ideea? both?

For begining i highly recomand you study other artist work,to see how each person addapt their style to the game and after try doing stuf in your own way.There are thousand of good 2d artist that you can leard from and if you beggin with a good concept ,with practice you'll get the 3d too,you just need to make things properly
  • MCCIM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuable feedback,much appreciated. I'mma work on fixing those issues along with some sketches and come back to you again.
  • MCCIM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    resuming this work after a long break, real life problems and the huge skill wall I have to climb. I went for a pimped sci fi modern look, like he is experimenting with science.

curious prime omagus set:
    omagus prime. head
    oamgus nomad. back
    omagus ultra. shoulder
    omagus carousel. weapon

your feedback is very important. thank you!
    ZxOYOd9.png
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    Okay, the cape is looking much better, and the shoulders are much more reasonably sized.

However, the head, whilst still beign a lovely design, still doesn't fit Rubick IMO. But, I'm willing to let that slide.

The main problem is that the set doesn't feel cohesive. What's the running theme? What ties them all together? What does a transformer style head have to do with a seahorse staff and silence pauldrons? None of it seems to work together.
  • MCCIM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the first pauldrons with the silence symbol idea as I had this missconception of discretion, covering your lips so your spell dont get hijacked or keep it silent, dont speak etc. but it got some confusion issues. I tried other variations like no face at all (spiral jewel) sort of the hannibal mask and/or scarf instead of the red X.

about the scepter: I made the first version as a mix of lizard horse and seahorse, second version has normal maps. looks more like a horse. I did the seahorse variation just for request. I'm still not sure wich one to use or even try a new sci-fi revamp on the horse head.

I tried to repeat elements along the set parts to bring more coherence. still not finished with the shoulder and not sure if I can use this staff or make new one...
  • MCCIM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "so this is science, interesting!"