Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: 3D0 does not work.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Traggey polycounter lvl 8
So yeah, as the title states 3D0 does absolutely nothing when working within DDO or NDO, I've had to resort toolbag for DDO work and guessing when NDO'ing.

Upon opening 3DO I am presented by nothing but a gray screen, upon hitting space and choosing one of the preset models I can atleast display that, however none of my textures from either NDO or DDO are visible on them, and if loading custom models in with DDO it simply refuses to display that either.

I'm using PS CS6 and I know 3DO has worked for me in earlier verisions of the suite.

Replies

• Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    You are not alone, albeit my issue being slightly different than yours.
    e1cd810bfd.jpg

In unrelated news: Any reason as to why you say 3D0 instead of 3DO? (Using a zero instead of an O?)
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    That is the exact issue I'm having aswell, the defualt meshes don't seem to be displaying normals or reflections properly.

And am I? :O Oh, yeah I did in the title for some reason.. NOT A CLUE MATE! Haha
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Traggey wrote: »
    That is the exact issue I'm having aswell, the defualt meshes don't seem to be displaying normals or reflections properly.

Oh okay, I misunderstood you then. :)
  • hugojackson18
    Offline / Send Message
    hugojackson18 polycounter lvl 3
    I have problems too. 3DO suddenly stopped linking my textures, then updating the mesh, then it won't show me ANY custom meshes.....
  • Eric Ramberg
    Traggey and Kosai106 would you mind trying the sample projects from:
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples
    Just to rule out any problems with the input maps?

HugoJackson18 Hi man whats up? Sorry to hear about 3do, did this behaviour start just out of the blue or was it after you updated the sute? Is it constant or does it go away with a restart?
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    The samples load up just fine, however I did experience some issues upon creating a new project using the input files for the AK, some texture maps refused to show up untill I used the refresh button a few times.

Loading the preset textures but with a custom model yields no results and I also attempted simply loading in a tiling normal I had made in NDO2, no results there either.
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    I have had this issue in the past. One thing that has worked for me is to go into your "preview resolution' and change it. That wiggle seems to kick it into gear...sometimes.
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Traggey and Kosai106 would you mind trying the sample projects from:
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples
    Just to rule out any problems with the input maps?

I open up Photoshop, launch the Quixel Suite and click the 3DO button. Then I get what you see in the previous picture I posted. If I remember correctly, 3DO has been broken since 1.6.

Edit:// Okay, I must be doing something wrong then, because the helmet SDK works just fine... I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong though.

But yeah, the 3DO custom loader is still broken, at least for me.

Windows 7 x64
    Photoshop CC 2014.2.1
    QUIXEL SUITE 1.8
  • sjc2112
    Don't know if it helps, but I was vexed by my mesh not showing up until I read a little more thoroughly and spotted that the mesh needs to be triangulated before you load it into 3do. Does that help?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Okay so if the sample projects work but your own crashes then there is a problem with the input maps, Have you looked at the Wiki page regarding input:

http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=inputmaps

Also, how are you producing your meshes?
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I know very well how the input maps work, DDO uses the inputs just fine to create my textures, I bake normals AO, objectspace normals and curvature maps in Xnormal, usually in 2 K for DDO usage.

My meshes are created in 3D's max 2014 and exported as triangulated OBJ's.
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I should also add that just as with Kosai, it has worked perfectly fine for me previously, and not untill one of the later updates did it stop working.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Traggey - Are there any non alphanumerical characters in the path to the project files?

Actually the need for hitting refresh multiple times on the sample project is actually a bug we just discovered, so thank you for reporting that! :)
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    I am almost all the time inputting from my desktop directly or a simple lower case one word folder on it.
  • Eric Ramberg
    How does the path look if I may ask? :)
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    If this is the same problem I spoke to Teddy about then try loading the Photoshop file in Photoshop. Then go on 3DO and then press the link button in the custom loader and that should work.

If not then I have no idea how to solve it
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    Have tried doing this from three different paths now, same result every time.

Current path is - H:\UE4\StormTrooperArm\E_11

And the files are
    e_11_col.png
    e_11_curvature.tga
    e_11_nrm.tga
    e_11_objs_normals.tga
    e_11_occlusion.tga

All in 2 K.

@Robeomega, where is this button you're talking about? Been looking around but I can't find what you're describing.
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    DoNotWant.png

Here's a quick screenie of what is actually happening, 3DO does not display a mesh once it opens as it doesn't like my custom meshes, and when switching over to one of the default ones I am presented with these strangely sub surface looking meshes that do not use the DDO generated textures, no matter how many times I use the refresh button.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Traggey - Im sorry but it was a bit unclear, do the sample projects display correctly in 3DO?
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes they do, and they are placed within the same directory.
  • Eric Ramberg
    So there probably is a problem with your inputs, would you mind zipping a project and uploading it to me so I can have a look? :)
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    Sent a PM containing link to my project.
  • Eric Ramberg
  • Eric Ramberg
    Kosai106 - what 3d program are you using?

Traggey - We´ve re-exported your mesh, dowload it here and give it a try: edit removed

hugojackson18 - Still having problems?
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 - what 3d program are you using?

Autodesk 3D Studio Max 2014 SP5 (x64).
  • Eric Ramberg
    Thank you Kosai106!! We´re close to finding this bug i think, if you have a model in obj format and a max file that you have tried with the suite and it did not work, I would be super happy if you could send it to me!
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloaded and checked, it works fine within the viewer now, sending you the max file, I'd like to know what the issue with my export options were, currently everything is set up to CM in scale to go with UE4 and I'm having no issues there or in Marmoset so I doubt it's a scale problem as have been suggested to me by some friends.

EDIT : I just now noticed that on the gun.obj you uploaded the normals are broken in certain areas such as front grip and the back end of the tube.
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    Also whilst I'm at it, I have been googling around for this and found no usefull info on it, roughness maps for UE4? I am running with the UE4 optmized setting and it still generates a gloss map.

I am also having a rather annoying but not breaking issue with the mask editor where I have to close out of it and load it up again each time I create a new mask for it to actually be applied, the first time around it simply leaves the mask black untill the mask button is clicked again.

I have also managed to run into a problem where when trying to rename a material layer within DDO the entire thing locks up, I can still click certain buttons but with no visual feedback on it and the interface itself is stuck in text-edit mode, however I can not type anything.
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Kosai106!! We´re close to finding this bug i think, if you have a model in obj format and a max file that you have tried with the suite and it did not work, I would be super happy if you could send it to me!

PM sent with the requested files.
  • ²Digitalgames
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message

This has got nothing to do with roughness maps. Read the thread before you post.
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nawh Kosai I did ask about roughness maps, thanks Digital!
  • ²Digitalgames
    Read the thread before you post

It should be a basic thing to be respectfull on the internet. Not everyone is a noob.
    Nawh Kosai I did ask about roughness maps, thanks Digital!

Youre Welcome
  • Eric Ramberg
    Come on now everybody play nice :)

So after some investigating by our most talented detective (not me) we´ve discovered that the issue here is 3ds max 2014.. So of all the people who are experiencing this issue max 2014 is the common denominator. If we take the file and re-export it from any other 3d pakage it works, so this looks like a very strange bug. We´re very sorry about this and are working for a fix for this, but as a workaraound re-export it from another program.

We´re looking to see if there is anything that can be done with Max 2014 to get it to work, I´ll let you know as soon as I know more!
  • TJTAS
    I've been reporting issues with 3DO and Max .obj export since DDO was released. I even broke my NDA to send a sample model and never heard back.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Very sorry to hear that TJTAS, must have fallen through the cracks :/
    Was it 2014 that you had a problem with as well?
  • TJTAS
    No I'm forced to use Max 8 by my work. The meshes from that always worked fine with (legacy) dDo.
  • Eric Ramberg
    We´re looking in to this to find a fix!
  • MetalBreaker
    I'm sorry guys if this thread is quite old and I'm suddenly just bumping it.

Yes, guys. I had this problem myself. The affected products are (products that export obj incorrectly, so 3DO doesn't read them correctly):
    Autodesk 3DS Max 2014
    Autodesk 3DS Max 2015
    It's because they use FBX plugin 2014. So here's my solution (I had a copy of Autodesk 3DS Max 2013 on my PC, with updated FBX Plugin 2013.3):
    1) Do my work with Autodesk 3DS Max 2015 SP3
    2) Export with Autodesk 3DS Max 2015 SP3
    3) Open the exported OBJ file with Autodesk 3DS Max 2013 Product Update 6
    4) Re-export the OBJ with Autodesk 3DS Max 2013 Product Update 6
    5) Import it into 3DO
    That worked... I'm really happy I resolved this issue once and for all :)
    Btw, I'm using Quixel Suite 1.8
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    That'd be super swell if I actually had access to any other software to to export meshes through, which other than Zbrush I don't, and Zbrush does not support normals and UV's and whatever so that's not a viable option, so untill this gets resolved I'm pretty much unable to use the suite.
  • Eric Ramberg
    MetalBreaker - thank you very much for posting this temporary work-around, it also helps us to narrow down the issue!

Traggey - Really sorry for your troubles, we´re working on a fix for this!
  • MetalBreaker
    Guys! Great news! I found a fix. I think it is permament.
    In Autodesk 3DS Max 2015 SP3 I used these export settings (they worked in 3DO and they are export settings for OBJ export):

Geometry
    Flip YZ-axis (Poser-like) [checked]
    Shapes/Lines [unchecked]
    Hidden objects [unchecked]
    Faces: Triangles
    Texture coordinates [checked]
    Normals [checked]
    Smoothing Groups [checked]
    Scale: 1.0

Material
    Export materials [unchecked]
    Create mat-library [unchecked]
    Force black ambient [grayed out, since the previous two are disabled]

Output
    Target: PC/Win
    relative numbers [unchecked]
    Precision: 4

Optimize
    vertex [unchecked]
    normals [unchecked]
    texture-coord [unchecked]

Write log to Export-folder (when using #noPrompt in scripts) [unchecked]
    Preset: <NONE>

That worked in the 2015 version and 3DO accepted the mesh with no problem.
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys! Great news! I found a fix. I think it is permament.

Nope.

Just tried with the same settings and all that, but 3DO still just shows a ball with wrong lighting/reflections.

Edit:// To specify, I loaded in a watch, not a ball, so yeah.
    I'm using 2015 SP5 tho.
  • MetalBreaker
    Kosai106 wrote: »
    Nope.

Just tried with the same settings and all that, but 3DO still just shows a ball with wrong lighting/reflections.

Edit:// To specify, I loaded in a watch, not a ball, so yeah.
    I'm using 2015 SP5 tho.
    The newest SP for 2015 3DS Max is SP3. Also, that fix worked for me. Not sure why it didn't work for you. Btw, if this helps, on my 3DS Max I have installed Extension 2 and SP3.
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    Any news on this? I get there's no solution yet but I'm curious to know wether it's coming along.
  • Will Chambers
    I am having an issue as well. For the past week I've been trying to solve the issue on my own and trying to find solutions online, but no luck. I've just been trying to load in my mesh to Ddo and then put it into 3do, but nothing wants to work. 3do will open up fine with the default sphere, but if I add my own mesh it'll crash and give me an error. I am using Photoshop CC, I've updated my java as well as my nvidia driver. What can the issue be and how can I fix it? I am using Suite version 1.8, should I try 1.7? And how can I go back to try 1.7? Thanks and sorry for the long message, just a bit angry at the fact that I haven't been able to utilize any of 3do and Ddo since purchase.
  • pinin
    hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone was able to run 3do integrated within Photoshop ( I'm running version CS6 64bit ) like in this youtube video?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDZDWvTUz-c[/ame]
  • Lead
    Offline / Send Message
    Lead polycounter lvl 18
    I'm having similar problems with 3D0. Except in my case it works initially and then quits working.

Using Photoshop CS6

Basically when I begin a new project it works just fine and then once I save my project the custom mesh disappears from 3DO.

From here clicking the "Reimport Mesh" menu option doesn't do anything, and if I use the Reimporter that doesn't work either.

Also notable, the program crashes if I try to export my results after this has occured:.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Traggedy - No solution yet, but it´s on the todo list for next release!

Will Chambers - If you´re also using 3DS MAX then you´re probably experiencing the same bug as a lot of people in here, there are a few suggested solutions in this thread you could try! Very sorry for the troubles!

Pinin - 3DO is integrated with Photoshop, but the "frameless" mode is not included in the suite :)

Lead - This sounds very strange indeed! So everytime you save your project the mesh dissapears?
    Are you using the normal "Save" or "Save as" function? If you´re using the "Save as" make sure you´re not using any non-alphanumerical characters in the path to the project as that would cause problems. Also, are you running the suite as admin?
  • Traggey
    Offline / Send Message
    Update? Would really like to get started with this software properly.
This discussion has been closed.