Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• DryDoctorEgg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Motenai: Super sick CK set! Love that mount!
    Frump: Nice job man, always good to see stuff from you. I wouldn't say the Sailor Moon resemblance is a bad thing ;)

Finished up the Abaddon set with Silwer/Mighty Linebeck! Had to deal with the tax verification so it took a day to complete. But here it is! Vote it up if you like it, its been a long time coming! :D

EDIT: Still not visible until revenue split is finalized :O

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=300235326
    V7dmgWX.jpg
    fSvl0U5.jpg
  • Celths
    Offline / Send Message
    Celths null
    Hello everyone !

I've just finished my new set for Shadow Demon.

Here is the loading screen :
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=300826008

zgxn5Q7l.jpg

The set (With a youtube preview):
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=300830210

UnderstatedKaleidoscopicIndianrockpython.gif

If you have any suggestions do not hesitate to leave a message !

Celths
  • Aris Atherton
    Hey guys, I want to make a taunt for bounty hunter, but there isn't any documentation anywhere about it. I assume that I just have to export the animation as an SMD and submit it under the category "Other". Is this correct? There isn't a place on the workshop to submit taunts. Thanks.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Aris, I think you have to edit the game files or import it into this hlmv viewer. Any ways don't take my word for it since I don't know shit about animation, but I still think you have to edit the game files.
  • StuBurrito
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    Congrats to everyone who got some items in!

This is my submission for the monthly contest, if you like it drop it a vote!

Legacy of Avernus by Stuburrito

ThumbforPolycount.jpg
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @Marcus Aseth Yeah the neck was a really tricky part to skin to the rig. The poses they use in the animations are weird and ended up not working well with my bindpose.

@Motenai Thanks. The hair and skirt are Sailor Moon inspired, and that seems to be the only thing anyone can talk about, for better or worse. Love that CK set btw sick work!

@Harry Thanks Bro

@Sukotto So far I don't think I've seen any negative opinions. Who could hate Sailor Moon?

I added an arrow/javelin thing today. I tried to keep it pretty close in proportion and style to the original arrow for balance purposes.

1763D48661939DD189844EBA67B2971CC986975D
    86E94E3A55F7A61BBAF77FD11F9D68507B3BB014
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    @Frump - I dig the sailor moon vibe, and really like that sacred arrow

@Motenai - Amazing work as always, I think this is my personal fav CK now

@StuBurrito - Sword turned out nice
  • Kawaii Catgirl
    I made a really simple Meepo weapon.

5376A5CBDC6CB07B216B896562747E43602082C8
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Frump wrote: »

1763D48661939DD189844EBA67B2971CC986975D

Damn dude. I could watch this gif all day.
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
  • schnoodle
    Offline / Send Message
    schnoodle polycounter lvl 3
    hmm can someone help me with the particle editor?

So I'm trying to make a cool looking eye-of-sauron type thing, but without all the fire and burning stuff. and I think I have a neat little design right now, but for some reason, the particles that are lowest, physically, always appear above my dark, smokey particles for some reason?

XYA3WCE.png
    5Rfcsdk.png

also i see a lot of questions here and there about particles, maybe we should just start a particle help & resource thread? Would that be useful?
  • Drew Carrymore
    What texture are you using for the eye?
  • schnoodle
    Offline / Send Message
    What texture are you using for the eye?

for the pupil, I'm using a render_rope, similar to how the Watcher from one of Warlock's set. I'm planning on making my own with its own shape but I'm using that one for reference at the moment. (the rope's file is particle\beam_generic_3_oriented.vmt)

for the render_animated_sprites on the pupil, i'm using particle\smoke\steam\steam.vmt for the smokey affect, and particle\particle_flares\aircraft_white_usez.vmt for blue snowflake embers.

for the colored "iris," the blue and white that should be below the eye is a render_animated_sprites of particle\particle_ring_wavy6.vmt

is there something with these textures that make some appear above the rest?
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Woo, long time without posting here (again)

I spent this weekend doing this little guy:

24d2228bf5.png
  • schnoodle
    Offline / Send Message
    That little guy is so adorable despite being undead
  • Q-ro
    Greetings everybody,

I would love to have some help with this silly project i decided to embark myself into, would like to remark beforehand that im not really talented, i do my best to learn from whatever resource i can find on the web, but i don't think im quite good yet, that said let's move on.

So i decided to start working on creating dota2 workshop items, and for whatever reason (maybe 'cause i play support almost all the time) i decided to create a ward as my first item, while doodling i ended up coming up with this "design", which i kind of feel is good looking and would fit the game well.

photo.JPG

The problem i'm having is the following, i'm using blender as my modelling software, and even tho it's almost finished, i'm lost as to how to proceed with bump mapping, texturing, and so on to create a ward; i have found tutorials regarding hero items, but nothing about wards, and valve documentation is really not that helpful for people that don't have experience like me, soooo, yeah, could some body give me a hand/teach me, i don't mind if the work ends up becoming a collaboration work, what i want to do is have the idea finished, see it done, and be able to learn so that i can keep going. Thanks in advance to anybody reading, sorry if this is not the right place to put this, or if my work is too awful.

Render%201.png
    Render%205.png
    Render%202.png
  • Q-ro
    Sorry for the double post i was not aware of the need for a moderator to approve my post and ended up doing it twice just to notice the message about said rule/politic the second time y posted.

Thanks Tvidotto, and nice to read you (? :P).
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Q-ro , i approved your post, now you are free to post on polycount!

Welcome!!
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    So what is the word on single sided cloaks/capes? I see many characters with single sided capes and cloaks but I don't know if the policies have changed lately or if Valve favors one over the other. Any idea on this?

The designs you guys are posting are amazing, by the way! :)

Edit: I don't know if this is the correct section to post this so feel free to move my post. :poly136:
  • Cersei_Lannister
    Offline / Send Message
    Cersei_Lannister ngon master
    Posting our latest set here too, finished and uploaded today!

OXIgZAJ.jpg
  • Paskie
    OniLolz wrote: »

24d2228bf5.png

Love this little fella! Looking forward to seeing this completed and in my inventory :)
  • arigato
    plz need help in doing texturing in photoshop create normal ,color,mask1, mask2 maps for Dota 2 items. I am new to Dota 2 item creation
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    arigato,

basically everything you need is here:
    http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

Look at the PDF's for shader mask guides. Valve laid it out pretty well.
  • Kramolnik
    I tried to make old school vision of Razor - Hurricane Scourge
    Animation.gif
  • hellmasterx
    something im working on. i need feed back on this, Any tips would be welcome!
    EpVBO1u.jpg?1
  • hellmasterx
    Kramolnik wrote: »
    I tried to make old school vision of Razor - Hurricane Scourge
    Animation.gif

I love it, quick question, how did you manage to create those edge lines desings?

zPZmSHT.jpg?1
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    @OniLolz: mini-Undying? I'm up for that XD
    But seriously soon we'll have a mini-courier version of every character available.

Some stuff I'm doing right now for Silencer
    More info in my thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134493
    tumblr_namfrkYaug1tb5l04o4_1280.jpg
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Awesome work on this page, lovin the mini undying courier!

Shameless crosspost of the Treant set the awesome MDK and Propen collaborated on with me! Give it a vote!

9651A0F4C6D569170887277C2FF486BB5A2A5E78
  • StuBurrito
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    @Kramolnik - This Razor is amazing! I love it

@Cersei_Lannister - Great as always, LOVE this head piece

@Vovosunt - Love some of the shapes you have going on

@BladeofEvilsBane - Turned out great guys! See him in the next chest!

activate.gif
  • Drew Carrymore
    Awesome work on this page, lovin the mini undying courier!

Shameless crosspost of the Treant set the awesome MDK and Propen collaborated on with me! Give it a vote!

Should you really be using Blizzard music to market a product you are trying to sell for their direct competitor?
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Should you really be using Blizzard music to market a product you are trying to sell for their direct competitor?
    Hey Drew, MDK and I searched long and hard for music to accompany the video. After hours of fruitless search and other examples in the workshop we decided it wouldn't be a big deal to use it. I would love to hear other peoples opinion on the matter, since there are indeed many songs used from many franchises for promotional purposes. It's an easy enough change to make, but we figured the focus of the promo is not the music but the visual content we put our days into making. Thanks for the concern, like I said I'd like to hear other peoples opinion on the matter as well.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7

I don't really think that it's relevant. Dota being a competitor of a Blizzard game doesn't influence the use of a song (from Warcraft I think? Sorry but I'm not familiar with the series) on a Workshop submission, specially when the video isn't being use for profit. It's more of a way to merge cool stuff together, and since it's really hard to come by fitting and good music for those kind of videos, I personally don't mind the use of 'known' songs. I had some similar response to the showcase video of my Nature's Prophet set, which used a music from Bastion. People either really liked to hear something familiar to them or kept saying stuff about having permission to use it or whatever, so I'm probably not using songs like that again.

I'd love to read some thoughts on this too.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    It's not that big of a deal, but personally I think it's not right.

You may not be taking direct profit from the video, but it's adding value to it with zero effort from your part regardless, so I guess it's as wrong as taking a game picture and using it as background.

So my take on it is either go for stuff that has explicit permission to use (i.e. common license or public domain) or ask the owner - two things that most certainly won't apply to a Blizzard game soundtrack.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Maybe it's good to at least give a proper credit to the owner/creator of those songs.(in the video or in the description or both)
    After all the song is playing a role in your video :)
    That a side, Amazing work. you guys managed to put those blue gems in a very nice and subtle way, but I'm not a fan of those things coming off his mouth :)
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    Technically the video IS being used for profit if it's promoting an item being sold on the workshop. I wouldn't risk it.

It's a very finicky line since pretty much _everything_ put online is intellectual property unless explicitly stateed otherwise, such as with Deviant Art's open common licensing that artists have the option of using when they upload work.

Try looking at sites like Freesound.org and searching for Fantasy/Warcraft styles.
  • Paskie
    I have to agree with the others here. Using music from other games/movies without permission is risky and not a good habit. Lets not forget that the composers/performers are artists too. Just check out moddb or reddit indiedev sub, there are composers there that want to spread their name and will let you use their music for free under CC attribution. Soundcloud should have some music that you can use too.
    It's been a while since I wrote some game music, but if I upload some more later on it's ok for anyone to use it if it should fit your theme. Only one there right now, can check if I have some more at home that I can upload. https://soundcloud.com/victor-takala/
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Technically Windrunner wasn't a big deal but even Valve changed it to Windranger. I say if you don't have rights to use it or its not free to use search for something else.

In the end its only music no one actually listen to it :) To be honest I don't even watch dota promo videos for sets lately. I just check screenchots for sets because I am to lazy. Probably many people do the same.
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Thanks for the insight everyone, the music has been changed (should appear soon).

Good to know what your thoughts on the music are, but I'll try steering this back into the focus here, the set.

• Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    OniLolz wrote: »

24d2228bf5.png

That looks so cool :)

@BladeofEvilsBane: Best Treant set I've seen,really great work.
  • Charge
    Offline / Send Message
    Charge polycounter lvl 3
    Hi! Hope you like it.

Veteran_zps65b6d5c7.jpg

Turntable630_border_gif_zps80434e08.gif

On my thread "Charge's workshop" there is in-game screenshots of this set. Thanks!
  • Supp1k_AAA
    Offline / Send Message
    Supp1k_AAA polycounter lvl 9
    Hi! Hope you like it.

B2298EDD0826AB26EFC916E037B93B2BFF95FA18
  • neupher
    Hi everyone!
    It's my first time posting here in Polycount but I've been following multiple threads for a quite a while now.

Just wanted to post my first Dota workshop submission here, and thank for the great community that got me started and through it in the first place! :)

SvenSword_Final_2.jpg
    Idle.gif
    wip_2.jpg

Workshop entry found here

C & C welcome!
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    dreadrider_sculpting1.jpg

working working trallalalala
  • whatever
    Neupher,how does attack animation looks?
  • fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 8
    big_precise_forum-jpg.109889
    Hello everyone !

I just released a package for Unity including Dota 2 shaders. But I want to go further.
    Let me explain what I want to add to this package.

When you want to show what you've made for Dota 2, you basically post screenshots or gifs for example.
    I want to offer you the possibility to show your 3D art to everyone dynamically in full 3D as it will be in the game. What you'll need is just Unity Free and the Game Shaders 1 : Dota 2 package.

For that here are the tools you'll be able to use :
    • Simple system to merge your art with Dota 2 Art
    • Preconfigured materials
    • Preconfigured scene set-up
    • Simple publication process
    But to build this, I need you. I need your help to give me your comments and ideas to make a very simple and efficient process.
    Of course, I also want to know if such system is relevant and useful for you and if you are interested.

To discuss about it, it's this way : Dota 2 for Unity

Thank you very much.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    hey!

first of all welcome! glad to know that polycount influenced you to start

actually is a pretty good item that you starting with but i have some suggestions

In dota,sometimes less is more, specially when you go over texture details. like the one you have the swords guard. When you render it looks nice but maybe in game those small details will turn into noise and instead of being a good addition to your design they will just act on a bad way

other suggestion about your sword is that the overall shape looks too flat, i saw that you made some bevel on the round handle but that is a point that we don't see because of the hand, you could use those polygons on a more important part

also is nice that you posted an study of silhouette, that shows that you are going on the right path when creating it.

your item is really nice and with a good quality, just keep improving, learning and sharing knowledge here. I am looking forward to see you getting your first item in game =]

Cheers!

edit - also i believe you need some work on the masks 1 and 2 to make the materials contrast more
    neupher wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    It's my first time posting here in Polycount but I've been following multiple threads for a quite a while now.

Just wanted to post my first Dota workshop submission here, and thank for the great community that got me started and through it in the first place! :)

SvenSword_Final_2.jpg
    Idle.gif
    wip_2.jpg

Workshop entry found here

C & C welcome!
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    I'm with Vidotto, I'd personally make the surface of the gold area way less bumpy as it's pretty noisy in the previewer shot you posted which means it'll be worse in-game.

Think of it like this; If you want nice details in dota.. make them bigger than you think they should be. Large shapes and forms read well, tiny ones do not. It either becomes noise or it just becomes unreadable which is wasted effort.

If you look at any of the Valve items you will see lots of big, easily readable shapes and details on everything. As workshop artist's we're definitely pushing the boundaries on how far we can take things, but there's still a soft limit we can't cross, and tiny, intricate details is one of them.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    BvpzJ9CIgAAnf5b.png:large

Another quick undying concept sort of working from my first one