• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
  • CKohl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    I audibly squee and thank you good sirs for extending the trial by 45 days! I was not sure if I would be able to finish a model I am working on in time to put dDo through its paces. :D
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Reading through this thread, gotta give huge props to teddy for the dedicated support on this brilliant product. (and even more props for having the same first name as me... way to go buddy)

I noticed this bug was posted much earlier in the thread, but apparently never resolved (or if it was, my dumb ass couldn't find it)

I'm using a baked, aliased color map to set materials, but the color picker only recognizes one color (a small blue UV shell in the corner) and the background. It still breaks them out into different materials correctly (if I click color mode I can edit them just fine), but the picker itself is being rather... intransigent. Clicking any color only selects the small blue shell, or the background. I've also tried holding D and picking colors in the 3Do viewer, which seems to work exactly once, then reverts to the same problem as the default color picker.

I created a simple test color map, just three colored boxes: red, green and blue, at full saturation, on a black background, to see what happened. Initially, it let me select each color block, and switched material correctly. After doing this once for each block, I lost the ability to click on the blue block, then the red a couple clicks later, and then the green. Clicking anywhere on the map now just selects the background layer. I can see the masks are correct in photoshop, but the color picker doesn't seem to associate them correctly any more.

Thoughts?
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    Why all my meshes looks like this?

2cea929d89.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the beta more user friendly?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Why all my meshes looks like this?

2cea929d89.jpg

triangulate your mesh before you export, or make sure the obj export dialogue has "triangles" selected in the faces field (it probably says quads or polygons now, depending on what version of max/maya you're using)
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    I originally posted this over here , but thought it might be more relevant in this thread. Wee bit 'o cross post...
    1st shot with only dDo work. Still trying to get my head around a workflow with it, but my gameplan is to build the preset on lowres maps (since it's so sloooooow....) then apply it to my final bakes and start texturing from there. Maps are currently 1/4 res for this reason. I'll have to manually combine AO maps since so much is animated.

dDo_01.jpg

dDo_02.jpg

dDo_03.jpg
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx Ferg, I'll try it.

"but my gameplan is to build the preset on lowres maps (since it's so sloooooow....) then apply it to my final bakes and start texturing from there."
    I had the same idea...To do sth, save maps & presets and apply them on hires versions.
    I'm noob so far, that will be my 1st try.

Btw.
    That's the task for dev team: to make some "preview" mode on selected area. It's pointless to calculate every change on 2k x 2k map!

OMFG: I have seen video tutorial and damn, I think they already did it! ;)
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    My only issue is that it's probably not going to end up 1:1 (low to high) in terms of what I want, so I'm wondering if it's possible to edit the creation values for a particular effect after creation? If not, that'd be by far my biggest feature request so far. If so....ignore (but explaining how would be the bee's knees...).
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Turns out my color picker problem was caused by my having Aero disabled on my machine. Re-enabling Aero in my windows theme made it work again.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Where can i get the FBX with the material presets, so i can apply them in max?
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Jet_Pilot wrote: »
    Where can i get the FBX with the material presets, so i can apply them in max?

Right click on your desktop dDo icon, select folder location, go back a few from the folder your in and you will see "swatches".
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Are the fx color map baking materials like wood, glass, leather supposed to add details from the first dDo bake? Or is this only reflectance value of set color map baking material? I'm confused...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    NVM, I'm stupid :P
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    So this plan TOTALLY didn't work out...
    but my gameplan is to build the preset on lowres maps (since it's so sloooooow....) then apply it to my final bakes and start texturing from there.

The detail does not scale with the map, so this workflow is essentially a non-starter (unless I'm missing something). Even worse, this could make batching more difficult if texel densities vary at all across assets.

dDo_sizeFail_01.jpg

dDo_sizeFail_02.jpg

Some solution suggestions.

1. Have a size multiplier on the material/environment dialogue. This would set the scale values on all material details by x.

2. Allow all material details to be edited after creation, even if it's a hack where it duplicates the existing values in one effect and copies them into the settings for a new one, allowing you to edit the values, then deletes the old detail and places the new one in the same location in the stack.

Honestly, both of these would be ideal because they help in other ways as well.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Dim,

There is an option to increase the size of the details in the Automation Hub! :)

here.jpg

Hope that helps!
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Well. That is exactly what I need.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim wrote: »
    Well. That is exactly what I need.

Great! :)
    This size can be set on a per-project basis, so each project can have its own size.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Seems I spoke too soon. So I'm not actually using any environmental detail presets, it's all 100% material definition. There isn't a Detail Size drop down for the material definition preset like there is for environmental, BUT, if you click on the material definition preset, on the bottom you can set the size, but it doesn't seem to do anything....

Again, perhaps there's something I'm missing?
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Im trying the demo right now and when im Ctrl-Clic on the mask button, it doesnt propagate the mask to the other maps. Anyone had this trouble?

EDIT i found that by closing the real time previewer before clicking, it fixes that issue.
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Ok, ive been using you software for the past 3 days and i must say that you guys are genius!

at first i was a little bit skeptical because i was afraid of skipping some fun parts in texturing but as you mention it, it just get rid of the repetitive parts about texturing and i can focus more about making my asset look better.

im sold, you guys did an awesome job and i cant wait to see what you will come up with for the next updates!

thanks!
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    So far it's 100% dDo, except for a few textures to help define the metal and the rope. (And the logo, obviously.)

http://youtu.be/vNW66htc90Q
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ferg for spotting the Aero bug! I'll make sure to fix this strange dependency in the next release.

Dim,

Thank you very much for bringing up detail scaling. I was originally posting a reply about how this is currently not fully supported, but ended up actually just implementing full support instead. Previously, only certain details and presets had scaling capabilities (as you noticed) -- now, all details and presets are scalable. Besides being able to change the scale of entire presets, you'll find that every detail now has a tweakable SCALE parameter:

dDo_release_03.jpg

Based on your feedback, there is now also also a feature for changing work resolution when creating new projects. This makes it possible to quickly prototype presets on low-res maps, and then render high-res production maps at any time, just the way you were trying to do it.

As a final touch, in the next release you will find a quick-button that converts your work-res project to production resolution automatically.

You'll find the new WORK RES dropdown in the automation hub:

dDo_release_02.jpg

Also, there is now finally a UI for adding/tweaking detail layerFX and a few other advanced layer properties:

dDo_release_01.jpg

Can't wait to see what you do with this one! LayerFX provide a neat level of control when designing details. Also note that any FX you add to your presets will automatically scale when you override the scale of presets. This dropdown is currently being extended with more tweaking options which you'll get to play with very soon. For now, check out the new stuff below!

DOWNLOAD DDO 4.4
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Well damnit, now I need to purchase this based simply on how awesome you guys are.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any chance for a Disable-Aero build update? It seems like I need to restart my PC after each Aero enabling (since I modded my Win UI). Maybe a scroll through buttons? Or navigate between masks by material definition using the arrow keys? Same issue as Ferg.

Also, a few things I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas about supporting:

-Seam map (the user could define the seams that need detail and those that don't, currently I'm using ddo's maps and 'feathering' the edges and putting it ontop of my clean diffuse, it would be awesome if ddo this this automatically as a user based input mask, especially for those of us that hide seams on more organic characters like skin).

I also have some questions, like:

-What is the best baker for Normal Maps and Object Space map for ddo? I'm using XN, is this fine, or should I use something else?

-What are the correct swizzle tangents for ddo? My search's in the older pages show X+ Y- Z+, is this correct?

-Are there any specific options I need to tick when exporting my OBJ? Mirrored UV's on my mesh come out looking weird (but I'm not sure if it's the exporters fault or Normal maps).

Cheers!
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    When saving material or environmental presets does it saves all the presets at once not just the selected material? I know you can create an empty project and change just one material or effect, but when I am working on a texture and have create a material I want to reuse I would like to be able to save that material. There should be an option to save only one environment group or one material.

When loading a preset you should also have an option to fully overwrite the selected material, not append the effects to it. So if you want to change one material from for example paint to metal you can load a material preset for just that material (without having to remove all effects one by one first).
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    After updating, I've been trying to use the leather presets, and I get an error every time, using PS CS6, both x86 and x64.
    Script Alert

Error: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.
    - The object "RGB channel of merged layer of document 299" is not currently available.

Meep!
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Out of curiosity, does the latest version of MysticThumbs or FastPictureViewer work okay with dDo?

I'm trying the dDo beta, and using the older free version of MysticThumbs (1.98) but getting an error anytime it tries to view a PSD created in dDo which crashes MysticThumbs ("encountered an error and must close" etc etc).
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    dDO is now saying I got the wrong version (86bit) but it most definitely is the right version so I can't use it :(
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, does the latest version of MysticThumbs or FastPictureViewer work okay with dDo?

I'm trying the dDo beta, and using the older free version of MysticThumbs (1.98) but getting an error anytime it tries to view a PSD created in dDo which crashes MysticThumbs ("encountered an error and must close" etc etc).

Most likely due to the hundreds of layers it might create? I'm not sure how MysticTumbs might works, but that could be the case?
    dDO is now saying I got the wrong version (86bit) but it most definitely is the right version so I can't use it :(
    Which version do you have? The latest one is 4.4, check and see if that might be the issue with the latest update.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Is there some clean/easy way to edit all of the masks for a detail layer at once? After adding a detail layer, I often want to control a little better where it goes and how it's used. The only way I've found to do this thus far is to preview/edit the mask for the diffuse element of the detail layer, and then copy/paste my changes to all the other elements (spec/gloss/etc) of the detail layer.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Which version do you have? The latest one is 4.4, check and see if that might be the issue with the latest update.

well actually I updated to 4.5 apparently today, which is when this started happening. It was fine at 4.4
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, that's weird, it seems like I have v4.5, but the update was called 4.4 in my case for some reason?

What happens if you uninstall and install manually again? Does it persist?
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah still the same. It wont even let me install 64bit as the installer knows im 86bit.

WFhy3lh.png
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico,

Really sorry about this. There is now a new release hopefully taking care of this issue. If not let me know, meanwhile should the issue remain you'll find v4.4 here.

Ace-Angel,

The Aero issue is now solved! Thanks again for reporting this, and for helping out here in the thread. Regarding the swizzle: X+ Y+ Z+. xNormal for baking is totally fine, it really comes down to preference -- dDo handles any types of normals. When exporting, the mesh should first be triangulated, and tangents and binormals should be checked. If you are running into issues with previewing, send me the mesh and I'll have a look.

Elyaradine,

There is hopefully a fix for this in the latest release, although this is not guaranteed as we've been unable to reproduce the error, only guess. If the problem persists, try uninstalling dDo completely (there is an uninstaller in the root dDo directory) before installing the update. I'll be on standby to assist.

cman2k,

Yes! Here's the quickest workflow:
    • Quick-select the mask by pressing the mask icon
    • Paint your tweaks
    • Ctrl-click the mask icon to propagate the changes to all other maps

EArkham,
    This has actually not been tested -- Ace-Angel might be right regarding the massive PSD complexity crashing MysticThumbs.

OccultMonk,
    The implementation of this has now started, and should hopefully be available in the next release.

DDO 4.6 IS OUT

Quick-convert work-res to full-res, or rebake full-res with latest maps:

dDo_release_03c.jpg

Group blend mode tweaking:

dDo_release_03a.jpg

Quick-convert hand-painted layers to dDo details:

dDo_release_03b.jpg

Aero issue is now gone. Bonus: material name tooltips:

dDo_release_03d.jpg

Two new details: PaintWear and CoarseLinen:

dDo_release_03e.jpg

PaintWear example:

dDo_release_03f.jpg
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep its fine now :D Thanks for the support, great product.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    EArkham,
    This has actually not been tested -- Ace-Angel might be right regarding the massive PSD complexity crashing MysticThumbs.

Quite possibly. I did some searching and found SageThumbs, which is free and doesn't have that issue since you can disable psd files from showing up as thumbs.

I feel like it's due to my using the old free version of Mystic Thumbs -- if I'd opted for the $25 version with full features (and also the ability to disable psd thumbs), it wouldn't be a problem.

Mentioning it for the sake of googlers with a similar problem.

Two new details: PaintWear and CoarseLinen:

Very nice.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Teddy: Hey, cheers! Much appreciated for the update and info! About the mesh issue, I think it's a Max issue, I'm using Max 2009, so maybe it's having export issues in that version of the OBJ files?

I'll send you guys an example file with images later, any specific address I should use?

Just one more tiny question, is Cavity needed on a Low-Poly model that already has an AO and Normal, or is it 100% only for Higher-Poly models?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    @Teddy: Hey, cheers! Much appreciated for the update and info! About the mesh issue, I think it's a Max issue, I'm using Max 2009, so maybe it's having export issues in that version of the OBJ files?

I'll send you guys an example file with images later, any specific address I should use?

Just one more tiny question, is Cavity needed on a Low-Poly model that already has an AO and Normal, or is it 100% only for Higher-Poly models?

@Ace-Angle: We'd love to take a look at your obj. You can send it to team [at ] quixel [dot] se.

A cavity isn't needed, seeing as a cavity map is created automatically from the normal you plug in. And just like you say, cavity is required for highpoly models. :)
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you do anything like surfacemaster from zbrush in ddo or ndo? Bascially I would like to add procedural patterns in photoshop like metal weaves, and carbon fiber.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    womball wrote: »
    Can you do anything like surfacemaster from zbrush in ddo or ndo? Bascially I would like to add procedural patterns in photoshop like metal weaves, and carbon fiber.

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to add a procedural surface detail covering the entire texture or parts of it with controls allowing you do decide the frequency and intensity?

Exactly what you're describing (if I understood you correctly) isn't possible at the moment unfortunately, however, a couple of procedural patterns are available in the detail browser, and even more are on the way.

These details, just like all others, can be applied either as an environment detail (all across the entire texture) or as a material detail (just applied on the selected material).

It is also possible to create these patterns yourself using the custom detail creator. (Modules -> Custom Detail Creator)

Hope this helps. :)
  • anarcy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres some dDo stuff iv been playing with

screen03_zps57344902.png

knighttexture_zpsd295afc6.jpeg
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Tried the new production render thing, which seemed like a great addition, but only thing it does is crashing the program.
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have some problems with viewer:
    1)my model is small, even when I resize it and re export .obj scale doesn't change :(
    2)model viewer shows me only a few elements from model- dunno how to fix it, I did about 20 exports with different parameters...

EDIT:
    ddo is unable to view ~35k tri, I had to separate my mode in 3 pieces :\
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for this guys, great tool for texture work!

1.PNG
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We just released a new tutorial on dDo! A 2 hour, in-depth, real time video, going over baking, detailing normal maps with nDo2, creating color maps, detailing and defining materials with dDo and applying final tweaks!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hncqbwkGbM4"]Complete dDo Breakdown - YouTube[/ame]
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Excellent stuff Wiktor. I've been waiting for a video like this, can't wait to watch it
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for making that video Wiktor, it cleared up some stuff fome me! Thanks a lot!!!
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Fantastic video! Just went through the entire thing. Was curious if you had any recommendations for eliminating seams when working with dDo (beyond just painting on the masks...)?

Thanks!

Edit--

Like so:

dDoSeams_01.jpg
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Going through the video at the moment, learning a lot!

What's the background music? XD