Home General Discussion

Assassin's Creed Unity

Replies

• BigErn
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like Ubisoft has the right idea and has spent the time, money and effort in getting the TOOLS and engine right for the teams, so no wonder the can crank out a game or 2 per year! If only most games companies where so forward thinking!

Looks fab! I might actually play a AC game if it ships looking this good! :)
  • weee
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    UBI is grinding out games like crazy, how many inhouse engines they've got, is it possible they use snowdrop on this one?
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Oh. My. Goodness. I never particularly liked how the other games in the series looked, but this is beautiful.
  • CowKing
    So is this going to be a Watch Dogs situation where it looks good on announcement, but looks like garbage later?
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    CowKing wrote: »
    So is this going to be a Watch Dogs situation where it looks good on announcement, but looks like garbage later?

Just to clarify: You think Watch Dogs looks like garbage?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also Watch Dogs isn't even out yet.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    adam wrote: »

It is currently a reddit fad to hate on Watch Dog's original graphics vs. the latest gameplay videos. It's a PC master race thing, I think.

Both look gorgeous to me. The teams are kicking ass!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

classy
  • CowKing
    Compared to what it originally looked like, yes.
    Quack! wrote: »
    It is currently a reddit fad to hate on Watch Dog's original graphics vs. the latest gameplay videos. It's a PC master race thing, I think.
    I don't go on Reddit, so I don't really know what you're talking about.
    classy
    Oh, sorry, I guess I should just get hyped for graphics that I will never see.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, sorry, I guess I should just get hyped for graphics that I will never see.

Why are you here?
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
  • CowKing
    Why are you here?
    I just want to know if this is actually representative of what it's going to finally look like, or if it's just bullshots like almost every AAA "gameplay" trailer before it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    I just want to know if this is actually representative of what it's going to finally look like, or if it's just bullshots like almost every AAA "gameplay" trailer before it.

Then go to reddit and wallow away
  • CowKing
    Then go to reddit and wallow away
    I don't understand. What's on Reddit?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't understand. What's on Reddit?

People that will appreciate you. Now that you've come and laid your stinky turd in this thread, move along and bother someone else.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The video is legit, no bullshit.

Adam says that this is how the game actually looks, and he's one of the art leads (and a well-respected member of the forum who wouldn't lie about such a thing), so I think it's true.
  • CowKing
    People that will appreciate you. Now that you've come and laid your stinky turd in this thread, move along and bother someone else.

To quote a great man:
    classy

Maybe we should all just calm down here.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    To quote a great man:

Maybe we should all just calm down here.

Yeah, I'm sorry, you really stuck it to Adam, good job! We're all very impressed.
  • CowKing
    Joopson wrote: »
    Adam says that this is how the game actually looks, and he's one of the art leads (and a well-respected member of the forum who wouldn't lie about such a thing), so I think it's true.
    I want to believe, but it's just happened so much before. If he says no bullshit, and is truly as trustworthy as you say than I'll believe him.
    Yeah, I'm sorry, you really stuck it to Adam, good job! We're all very impressed.
    You're mistaking my skepticism for hostility.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Justin, I agree with Cowking. I don't think he meant any disrespect, he's just showing the skepticism our industry has shown to be necessary in the past.
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it's pretty obvious Watch Dogs went through some bad downgrades. Who knows how it will launch, though.

AC:U is looking tasty!
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I wouldn't really say that Watch Dogs went through some "serious downgrades." Of course the final product is going to look worse than the demo simply because when the demo was shown off, it involved a small fraction of the gameplay systems that existed. Between the time the demo was shown off and the time that "ugly" trailer was shown off, there have likely been hundreds of thousands of lines of code, if not millions, related to many new systems written for the game that are now running in the background and taking up system resources.

From the new trailer they revealed, it is clear the the game still looks beautiful, and so I think it's safe to say at least the PC version of the game will look incredible, even if the console version somehow ends up poorly.

I find it hard to believe that somebody could honestly believe that a game like Watch Dogs looks bad. As somebody who occasionally visits reddit, nothing pisses me off more than reading some of their ignorant comments about game development. The people there compare game engines like middleschoolers at a lunch table, how much credibility could they even have?

The best is when they say "as a game developer myself, I believe *inserts stupid comment about how all devs are lazy and greedy assholes and that all games are made to steal your money*"

Anyway, I think this discussion got derailed a bit. Personally, I'd love to see a breakdown of some of the assets shown in this video although unfortunately I'm not too sure if that would be allowed until after the game gets released. Since adam works on the development team, maybe he could also chime in on the story a bit. The only AC game I played was AC1 and I enjoyed it, would I still be able to understand the story or would I have to finish every other AC game?
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Well done Adam! The artistic creativity and joy shows through, I hope you all had a great time bashing through the hours and keeping each others back through the internal deadlines. Just ride on the wave of accomplishment dude, enjoy it, you've earned it!
  • tadpole3159
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    that will do you guys. lets get back on track

its looking absolutely stunning, cracking job. the crowd shot at the end looked super impressive. It looks like one of those awesome digic pre-rendered trailers!
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Adam, you guys should be really proud. This looks effing amazing. Can't wait for the full reveal ;)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I still have to finish ACII, then get through the four(?) that have been out since, but I'm really exited to start this in five years!!
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    alright, bringing this thread back on track. This looks great Adam, you guys at Ubi should be super proud of what your putting out art wise. I was hoping to get your opinion of the amount of work necessary to get to this level of fidelity. Would you say it's an extreme jump from last gens pipelines? There's been a lot of talk about content taking either no more extra time twice as much or ten times as much, personally i'm thinking it will take slightly more time. I am hoping and seeing that art tools are improving at a rapid pace which is, i think, the right solution.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-13-epic-expects-next-gen-game-costs-to-double

Through your experience so far on this project, what are your thoughts on this? If you can, in a quick broad sense, talk about some of the pipeline improvements that speed things up for you guys at Ubi? Thanks
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Just wanted to say it looks amazing! Black Flag mad me excited about the series again so I am looking forward to this.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Does this use 3d digital technology?
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    gratz guys, it is a beauty, technically and artistically its impressive to get to these results! keep up the awesomeness
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say it looks amazing! Black Flag mad me excited about the series again so I am looking forward to this.

Amen to that, didn't seem to get into AC3 a whole lot, AC:BF is awesome though, artwork is amazing too :)
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    This is nice to see, AC4 BF on PS4 is pretty disappointing in terms of visuals, especially the character skin shading. We're not seeing any skin here, let's hope that's improved too!
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Xoliul wrote: »
    This is nice to see, AC4 BF on PS4 is pretty disappointing in terms of visuals, especially the character skin shading. We're not seeing any skin here, let's hope that's improved too!

Yeah come on, show us some skin adam ;) haha

Would be interesting to know if this is using physically based materials/lighting/stuff like most other engines are now.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Great looking game, although I hope the gameplay is as much improved as the graphics are. AC got bored for me after Brotherhood.
  • fattkid
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Really nice work. Props to the team that put that together. Very inspiring.
  • Teyon
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome. I'm psyched for this one. I skipped AC4 but will hop on this one for sure.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The coop video for ACU is out now. The team here has been hard a work on this for a long time, so happy its finally out. (And yes, it's in-game.)

Amoung many other things, my team in particular is responsible for Neo-classic landmarks found in Paris. Palais du Luxembourgh, featured in the coop demo seen below, is one of ours. Really proud of the team and meticulous they are with their details, and more importantly, story telling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2l96w7tw5s
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    really impressed, grats adam! awesome stuff you guys have done there
  • Snight
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Congrats to you and your team Adam. Looks great! I've always been a huge fan of the art in the AC games.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    So I just read this article from PC Gamer.

I'm not sure how deep the character customization system is going to be but that seems kind of ridiculous. I'd imagine the developers didn't get together and say "Hey, let's screw over female gamers!" but I'd also imagine they could have recycled a lot of assets from previous AC games.
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    NegevPro wrote: »

I'm not sure how deep the character customization system is going to be but that seems kind of ridiculous. I'd imagine the developers didn't get together and say "Hey, let's screw over female gamers!" but I'd also imagine they could have recycled a lot of assets from previous AC games.

That sucks, but recycling it or "half assing" it in any way would be met by similar complaints of "wow so female characters are not worth as much time???!?!!". Better to put as much work as possible into one to make it shine imo.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12

Considering the very style of the characters is completely different now that the game is set in a newer Era, they can't really recycle all that much, what they can recycle may as well be redone from scratch. Another thing to keep in mind is that the entire workflow has changed to suit the new rendering engines use nowadays. Textures aren't the same, nor are shaders, higher specs = higher rez textures, more maps, etc.

Despite the fact that Ubi has a huge budget, they're also developing several games at once. I think it is a fair reason to not have female characters, not sure what everyone is so upset about.
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator

No they didn't say "let's screw them over". They said " eh they aren't worth our time/ money and giving more clothes options is more important than gender options". It's a crappy excuse especially coming from a company that's pulling in over a billion dollars a year. They can certainly afford female characters they just deemed them unimportant.

EDIT : I misunderstood how mulitplayer was implemented. I thought you would control a custom avatar when you played with friends. Apparently that is not the case you will only ever get to see yourself as the main character. So I understand why they cut female characters still kinda sucks.
  • slipsius
    People are really blowing that gender thing out of proportion, and many have no idea what it takes to add a gender to a game.

Although its not nearly as much work to do as Ubi has said in interviews (you wouldnt have to double your animations, for instance. Retargetting works for 90% of animations), It's also not as little work as Jonathan Cooper says. It would certainly take more than 2 days to add a female assassin. Maybe 2 days to adjust some core animations (walk/run/idle, mainly), but to create the assassin, rig her, implement her into the game, and do all the testing... WAY more than two days. Not to mention all the custom stuff you would have to do for in-game cinematics, custom tracks to adjust contact points and such.

People hear "resources" and think of only money. But it's so much more than just money. The game has to be done by a specific time. Time is a resource, and when there isn't enough time, things get cut. It really is as simple as that. I highly doubt they made that decision lightly, either.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    It sucks for the people who want to play as a female character but I suppose these things are inevitable in game development. A lot of people seem to be trying to turn this story to make Ubisoft look sexist which is unfortunate.

I don't really do a whole lot of work with animation so my knowledge of the topic is quite limited. I think it's quite fair to assume it would be a ton of work to implement a fully functional female character given the fact that there won't even be unique characters to choose from in the multiplayer mode since they seem to have the same system as Watch Dogs where you always see yourself as the protagonist character (most likely because he would be one of the most detailed characters in the game in terms of graphics.)

I hope the game will be successful though, it looks great!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The only reason people are making an issue of it is because the way it was originally phrased, made it sound like, from a cost perspective female characters in co-op didn't make sense and was cut from the game. Basically, making your game inclusive costs too much.
  • WarrenM
    It's a shame that a bored journalist decided to hang this albatross around the neck of a great looking game. Grow up, game journos.
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I'm also guessing if the game is currently content locked adding a brand new character is pretty much impossible, unless it's day one DLC. And if they do that, even for free, people will spin and piss on it anyway :/
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I don't think it makes Ubi look sexist ... but it sure goes to show that the producers in charge were not exactly planning things properly if, *indeed*, having playable female characters was a planned feature which eventually got cut because of a lack of "resources".

Had it been really planned from day one/preproduction, it certainly would have made it to the game without problems.

Even FPS games like Blacklight and CoD:Ghosts have playable female characters now ; yet before these got added, a lot of people were assuming that female characters in competitive FPSes were "not possible" because of unsolvable hitbox problems or incompatible animation rigs. Turns out, it works perfectly fine when done well, and looks very cool and refreshing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the problem when the game industry strives to be taken seriously, people start taking you seriously.

I know the devs aren't to blame, hopefully the suits start to notice.