Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    I have no idea how to fix this, so I am asking people wiser than me :P
    distortion.png

I need the edges to be exactly in the position they are in for the lowpoly, but the entire area above needs to be smooth, no hard edges. I only worked with full loops thus far (you know, the box example kind).

Halp?! D:
  • Luka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    like this (i believe)

wxpBkOi.png
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka wrote: »
    like this (i believe)

wxpBkOi.png

thatdidnothing.png

Yeaaaaaah ... that did nothing. If anything, I think that just made it ... worse?
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Xaragoth wrote: »
    I have no idea how to fix this, so I am asking people wiser than me :P
    distortion.png

I need the edges to be exactly in the position they are in for the lowpoly, but the entire area above needs to be smooth, no hard edges. I only worked with full loops thus far (you know, the box example kind).

Halp?! D:

You need to plan a bit ahead and make sure you have enough edges to go from smooth -> hard. If you have a hard time planning ahead, re-iterate, polygons are free.

No idea how your shapes looks before hand or what you're going for, but this is one way of how I would go from smooth surface to hard contour.

smooth%20to%20hard.jpg
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami wrote: »
    You need to plan a bit ahead and make sure you have enough edges to go from smooth -> hard. If you have a hard time planning ahead, re-iterate, polygons are free.

No idea how your shapes looks before hand or what you're going for, but this is one way of how I would go from smooth surface to hard contour.

smooth%20to%20hard.jpg

This might actually help. Basically it's part of the boot, going over into a hard-edge shape over it. But it needs to be clean. Not to mention I got a few more edges where I have the same problem, but it's not really viable to do it that way *sigh* I hate my life :P

Basically speaking, I need to retain the shape of the lowpoly object, with hard-edges or rather sharp pointy bits, while the entire plane itself is smooth and without weird distortions. I get the theory, but the practical part is failing me :P

If it helps, think of complexer fantasy armor shapes for vambraces and such.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth wrote: »
    This might actually help. Basically it's part of the boot, going over into a hard-edge shape over it. But it needs to be clean. Not to mention I got a few more edges where I have the same problem, but it's not really viable to do it that way *sigh* I hate my life :P

Basically speaking, I need to retain the shape of the lowpoly object, with hard-edges or rather sharp pointy bits, while the entire plane itself is smooth and without weird distortions. I get the theory, but the practical part is failing me :P

If it helps, think of complexer fantasy armor shapes for vambraces and such.

The description is quite abstract. It's easier to help if you provide reference of what you're trying to achieve and what you've achieved so far, as the entire part, instead of only the problematic area.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The description is quite abstract. It's easier to help if you provide reference of what you're trying to achieve and what you've achieved so far, as the entire part, instead of only the problematic area.

betterexample.png

I think this might explain it better, maybe. Basically I need a permanent, distortion free wonder solution that works on all these types of edges. I saw some further ahead in the thread, but they don't seem to work as well for me :(
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. You won't get rid of the creases when going from curved metal plate to hard contour. You can shorten them if you want by adding a second cross loop and letting the curved surface keep it edges as far as possible.

2. You can still use the technique I provided to remove the pinches you get at the cut (upper part).

3. How close do you think you will get to this model? Will it affect overall visuals? Are you looking at things that are hidden behind other parts? i.e you might be looking to much at tiny stuff that won't be shown in the end.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. You won't get rid of the creases when going from curved metal plate to hard contour. You can shorten them if you want by adding a second cross loop and letting the curved surface keep it edges as far as possible.

2. You can still use the technique I provided to remove the pinches you get at the cut (upper part).

3. How close do you think you will get to this model? Will it affect overall visuals? Are you looking at things that are hidden behind other parts? i.e you might be looking to much at tiny stuff that won't be shown in the end.

1. Well, that's not very nice of the mesh then, is it. Will try to do that.

2. Okaydokay.

3. Fairly close, I fear. Which is why I can't allow it to have such extreme flaws. I might have to accept that I need a different shape for it *sigh*

I might give zBrush a spin for this. Thanks for all the help! :) Will keep an eye on the thread, just in case someone posts a solution I can work with :)
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    I have one question if you will.
    1) what's the best way to collapse a 16 sided lens into a low poly?
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    I have one question if you will.
    1) what's the best way to collapse a 16 sided lens into a low poly?

Uh... what lens are we talking about?
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Depends on your geometry budget, and your target engine. Also consider the significance of the prop/model and the size it will occupy in the world. The smaller it is on screen the lower poly count you can get away with.

Posting images would help us provide a more clear answer :)
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Hey all! I'm having trouble modeling figuring out how to go about cutting the cylindrical holes into this gear
    5T5gV.jpg

5T5wo.jpg
    Since the ref is metal and not the most readable, here's a pic of my mesh for a better idea of the shape. the cut-outs go ALMOST right up to the edge of that lip but not quite. the gear is symmetrical and the holes go completely through. Thanks so much in advance!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    perna wrote: »
    This video should demonstrate lining up and matching density between two shapes that are going to merge:

Subd Cylinder Segment Matching - YouTube

i'll just quote this here for you. cutting and merging are fairly similar in the requirements they have for your topology. once the stuff fits together you can cut or boolean or whatever.

another thing is that you should look a the width and curvature of your shapes again and compare them to the ref. it all seems quite a bit off
  • Turks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turks polycounter lvl 9
    Hey all, I was hoping someone could help me out with this pencil sharpener.

The rest is pretty simple, I'm just really struggling with this handle portion.

PMP24IH.png
    B4L6X5X.jpg?2

Thanks
  • G2Zss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

As you can see, recently I ve been practicing modeling with the Eat3d - Dozer tutorial, which is a really great tutorial and the model is almost finished.

My problem is the following:
    I want to texture it, but without creating a game asset, just create a scene for it and render it with vray,so I want to unwrap (of course not every detail) and texture the high poly model.
    One of the main problem is that on every object there is a turbosmooth with iteration 2, so the texture will be stretched if I unwrap the base model.

What is the solution in this case?
    I should add more supporting loops?
    Or I should unwrap the model on iteration 1? There is not so much difference between iteration 1 and 2 as between the model without and with turbosmooth.

What is the difference between a high poly model that will be textured, and the one that will be used for creating normal and AO maps?

Thank you in advance!
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    If you dont want the texture to be stretched you need to Unwrap it with an application that supports the creation of SubD-UVs. UVlayout for example does it.
  • JamesHodgart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive had some success in Maya by taking a snapshot of the smoothed UVs (isoline) and basing my texture around that :)
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    You should also be able to use triplanar/cube mapping to project the textures. However if you do this you can't really paint on any details such as damage on them. Personally I'd unwrap most of the mesh and use that to paint some masks which you'd then project on the mesh with tri-planar projected textures which would probably result in as few visible seams as possible.
  • JamesHodgart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Turks! I modelled a shape like this recently which might help a bit? The only issue I had was the smoothing at the back end of the object, but this part for me was hidden anyway. I started with a cube and smoothed it out rather than a sphere :) Good Luck!

11764801436_ae7160aec5_o.jpg
    example1 by ravedonkeyad, on Flickr
  • kadory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadory polycounter lvl 4
    hi guys i would like to know what the difference between high poly modeling and low poly modeling, and in hard surface modeling like cars,tanks,weapons..etc is it ok if i break parts as much as i want or do i have limitations and thanks so much
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When doing highpoly work you can use as many separate parts as you'd like. Most people would separate parts in their highpoly similar to how the object is built in real life as that often makes it easier to make the model look convincing. You don't have to break pieces off as you can just sculpt things to look like they overlap but that generally takes more effort (and would often be retopoologized to separate parts later) so in most cases it'd be advice-able.

The difference between highpoly and lowpoly is most obviously the detail level, but also that for lowpolys the most important part is that the silhouette looks smooth as most surface and concave detail can be simulated with baked textures (to a point). For highpolys it is most important to have mesh with mostly quads (there are some exceptions where you can get away with triangles) for nice smoothing that should be preferably be somewhat manageable without using too much geometry while still looking detailed and interesting.

When making lowpolys it can in many cases be beneficial to combine a few pieces together to make the baking process simpler but this can sometimes result in messy textures so that should probably be evaluated on a case by case basis IMO.
  • tsuchinoko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsuchinoko polycounter lvl 4
    I was recommended by Earthquake to take a look here, and it seems like a good thread to post this in.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15118&d=1389301177

Running into a "round object with hard edges" problem. I need the round/curves along the red marks, but I also need to retain the hard edges where the visor is, and under the helm. When I put edge loops in, they cause unwanted edges along the yellow lines. Any ideas?
  • kinggambitben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinggambitben polycounter lvl 4
    newbie here! I'm trying to create modular pieces for a rail/track. Im trying to create a 90-degree curve as shown: wXaw4nH.png

I tried to lattice both ends and then add a metric ton of subdivisions, then manipulate verts with soft selection. I also tried using a curve with wire tool but can't get the results I want from either. :(
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    could you maybe make a small bit of it and make a curve. then extract that small bit to follow the curve?
  • mrjojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrjojo polycounter lvl 7
    Hi guyz, ive been struggling with modeling curves and generally round things into walls(surfaces) without using boolean and we all know they pretty much mess up the topology. anyway heres a ref image and id like to create that nice arc thingy on top of the window. any tips please ?

24v8cis.jpg
  • Dr.Malpractice
    Is this what you were trying to achieve? curved_rail_by_krunk_fu-d71m3t4.png
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    kinggambitben, I would use the bend deformer or just bridge two pieces together.

Left: Bend
    Right: Bridge

LC69eez.jpg
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    If Maya didn't have a Bend deformer I was about to link him to Max's home page lol

Glad to see it exists.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Huh, what happened with the posts in here? mrjojo and Dr.Malpractice's posts suddenly got shoved in between mine.
    mrjojo wrote: »
    Hi guyz, ive been struggling with modeling curves and generally round things into walls(surfaces) without using boolean and we all know they pretty much mess up the topology. anyway heres a ref image and id like to create that nice arc thingy on top of the window. any tips please ?

24v8cis.jpg
    This one is easy because you can pretty much see the number of divisions you need. Make a 16 sided cylinder, delete half and insert the edges to make out that pattern. I did this in one piece and pretty fast, it would probably be better to double the divisions so it's smoother like in your picture.

dnQwtaY.jpg
  • kinggambitben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinggambitben polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks you guys. Still learning all the tools. yup, that's exactly what i was looking for (Bend/bridge).
  • mrjojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrjojo polycounter lvl 7
    Huh, what happened with the posts in here? mrjojo and Dr.Malpractice's posts suddenly got shoved in between mine.

This one is easy because you can pretty much see the number of divisions you need. Make a 16 sided cylinder, delete half and insert the edges to make out that pattern. I did this in one piece and pretty fast, it would probably be better to double the divisions so it's smoother like in your picture.

dnQwtaY.jpg

thanks for the tip body , tho i was looking to do that thing out of a box, for instance i made wall using box/rectanle and now im trying to model the window into the wall. any idea ?
  • mrjojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrjojo polycounter lvl 7
    is it even possible to model this within 3ds max software? i was told to consider Rhino/Grasshopper. is there anyway i could do this in max?

vRETcFP.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
  • mrjojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrjojo polycounter lvl 7

thanks for the link , couldnt figure much out of it tho.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think his point with the link was, yes, it's possible. Anything is possible. It's all a question of skill and time and patience. :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I hear what your saying Perna, But I'm with Pedro....That shit is madness
  • mrjojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrjojo polycounter lvl 7
    hmm, mrjojo, that subject is quite simple. "Lots of stuff" doesn't necessarily equate to "difficult to model", especially when almost all of it is the same shape repeated a lot.

There's a clear structure there: Most of the "tiles" have the same dimension, but the radius increases, causing gaps, then those gaps are filled in a way that mimics the shape of the main structure itself. You can mathematically figure out what the different areas and radii are, and once you have, it should be relatively quick to model it out.

could you maybe give this a try and share with us what technique ud use to create of those geometries ?
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I'd be very interested in a demonstration showing how to solve this kind of shapes and iterate them. Even though studying the shapes from the real-life pics of the object, that still needs a guidance for the technique that translate them into 3d.
  • mrjojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrjojo polycounter lvl 7
    igi wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in a demonstration showing how to solve this kind of shapes and iterate them. Even though studying the shapes from the real-life pics of the object, that still needs a guidance for the technique that translate them into 3d.

itd be great if someone takes the challenge.
  • mr gelmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr gelmir polycounter lvl 10
    kinggambitben: you can try to convert your profile to a shape and make it follow a spline using a loft.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Break it down into Per = Awesome.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Now draw the support loops......:poly136:
  • mrjojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrjojo polycounter lvl 7
    thanks for the analysis perna. how do i approach this tho , spline modeling i suppose?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, cheers Eric

But why should that be a problem though? These shapes lend themselves very well to loop construction, and even if they didn't, the point I'm making above is that the components are so simple that it would be trivial anyway.

This was thrown together without any planning or design. Aside from those poles, this should be ready to ship - it's just a few boolean ops, and only one small section was made, then instanced around.
    per128_mosqueCeiling02.jpg

This image is one of those weird optical illusions, at first I could only see it as the spheres coming outwards, but after staring at it long enough I see that the spheres are cut in. Now I can't see it the other way anymore. wtfux
    mrjojo wrote: »
    thanks for the analysis perna. how do i approach this tho , spline modeling i suppose?

? I think he explained exactly how to approach it already. You'll need to show what you've tried and explain what exactly you're having issues with before anyone else can really give you further advice.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Perna's approach is great (as usual), and really, just learn to observe as he's stated.

Another thing to note about this is a domed analogue to a common 2 dimensional mosaic.
    Best shown (with a bit of distortion) in this image
    isfahan_Entry.jpg
    Understanding how these sorts of tilings are created may help.4
    http://catnaps.org/islamic/geometry.html

Between those references and some good old observation, you could certainly build this out in max.
  • mrjojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrjojo polycounter lvl 7
    thanks everyone for tips n guides. ill definitely give it a shot n post more queries here later. moving on , i made this bucket and get this problem in most of my models, "too many polygons" i read somewhere "less polygons= happier life" . how do i decrease the poly count without losing details ? any idea?

WTrXspc.jpg
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just remove every second edge-loop until you're satisfied with the density. This is just a cylinder without any details that doesn't go all the way around so it could easily be done with a 5 sided circular base (I would rather go with 12, 16 or 24 though as they are easily dividable). Also if you remove every other edge-loop the model will become a bit thinner so you might need to scale it up a tiny bit afterwards.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With mutiple rings moving inwards like that you can optimize as you get away from the edge as well. So 24 on the outer ring reduces to 12 in the middle reduces to 6 in the center ...