UDK Subway Scene

StraightDraw84
polycounter lvl 9

Replies

• Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    for the tiled areas on the walls and columns id add more evidence of liquid having dripped down to break it up more. the concrete for the roof beams have evidence of liquid staining but the plane directly next to them in the corner doesnt, so you just have a line. id blend those corners more. also the graffiti seems too solid, maybe try fading it more and having wiped off areas. the bench could use more detail to break it up.

youve captured the mood and feel of a metro well, so this is definitely coming along.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Finish working on your Sci Fi scene first dude :P Good start on blockout. However, the composition is pretty boring. There is no center piece or a focus... Good start on materials, not sure if you are using normal maps (everything looks flat). Try to come up with a center piece/focal point, then change up the lighting to accommodate that. Good luck!
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
    Updated the screenshots, more critiques welcome
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the other comments :( great start.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    add a nice spec and a reflection map to your subway train...its terribly flat. Add a slightly noticable cubemap to your floor to add some interest.
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the screenshots...
  • 916J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    916J polycounter lvl 15
    I like the texturing work. Train looks flat still, whereas the bench is lit and texturing so well that it looks as if that's the central focus (which could be the case)

The cracks on the tiles look off as well. They're too big versus how a tile would realistically crack and break.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Looks like a subway station, good job :)

There are a few things already been brought up, but I thought a paintover might help you visualize what the changes could do.

You have similar values on the pillars, walls and the train. You can differentiate these with some color and value change.

paintover.jpg

The scales looks a bit off, but I tried to measure it and it kind of seems to be ok, guess the train could be a tad higher. Have you measure your scale of things with a player model?

scale.jpg
    I'm sure you can fix some of the issues and perhaps even come up with other adjustments while you're working on it.
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critiques.

New updates:

9jn3pk.jpg
    10f2ujc.jpg
    fnr1as.jpg
    xd5cn9.jpg
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    The scene is a little confusing for the eye. Maybe break it ub with more metal. Your pillars looks a little unnatural small maybe change them for painted metal pillars in H form with studs. This make maybe more contrast in the scne ebecause i tking you overused tiles in the same color pattern.
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i thought about that a while ago but i really like the tile look. They build them small because in the interior is usually steel:

n4ictt.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Seems to my eye like the general scale problem is with the tiles, yours seem too large, which throw my eyes off. For instance your tiles are 3 wide on the pillar, but in the refs they are 4-4.5

Same goes for the walls.

Adding to this is that your grout patterns are very black/wide. It's an unnatural grimyness even for an apocalyptic style environment, cleaning them up and adding at least some spec will really help.

Last, the scene looses me because of all the greenish hue, I think you should try to find places on the walls/floor to use a wider variety of materials with differing hues, should help break up some of the tedium.
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message