Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hallway project

Hello everyone!

So I've been working on this little project for the past 2 weeks and I've got enough to show to start receiving feedback.

My friend was discussing a few things with me. He's not onboard with the orange color scheme I have going on. I have a flat ceiling with a bevel which I want to redo, because I know I can do better than that. The pipes should be more shinier, but I didn't put a spec map for that one yet. Also the glass should be more of a strip texture rather than tiled.

In the cage area, I was debating to either put a cylinder shaped generator or a giant pipe for pumping oil or collecting stuff from underground.

I'm not sure what else I need, but I'm open to feedback/suggestions of any sort at this point.

6_zps3c0043e2.png

3_zps8818b4bf.png

2_zpseaa04a29.png

Thanks!

Replies

• MethodJ
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    You've got some good shapes and details in there already, I would suggest playing with the color. My first thought was that the scene is too orange. Ceiling, walls, and floor are all orange, making it hard to navigate.

I also think the fact that there's no reflected orange in the lighting also breaks the immersion a bit - add a little orange to your lights and see if that helps things feel more cohesive.
  • !!apaidsurveys
    I agree with what MethodJ said, it is a little bit over "orange"...but others are ok
  • Sheers
    I put in 2 orange lights and I toned down the white lights a bit. In the future I think I should plan out my lighting ahead of time. Here's what I changed up.

u2_zps6f741644.png

u1_zpsc0e5bf28.png
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    From what I am seeing the lighting in the room is to much, it needs to be spread out and at different intensity to create a mood to it.
    tLdiW_zpsd9d8dc7e.jpg

I found this example to show you..not mine , just something I found.
    The person that made it is in this thread below.
    http://www.mapcore.org/topic/15243-sci-fi-scene-ce3/
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    Try taking out every other light in the hallway..also maybe make a few broken ones too.try making the lights blue, so there i snot so much orange every where.
  • Sheers
    So I went ahead and just deleted my lights and started anew. Snake, I used some blue lights in areas and a little bit of orange.

Highres_Screenshot_00003_zps275e766e.png

Highres_Screenshot_00004_zps7db512fc.png

Is this better?
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    It's definitely too busy of an environment, I would use the orange as an accent, rather than the overall color of most of the environment pieces and work on refining the textures and the lighting.
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Alrights, lets starts.

You have some interesting things going on, you are bold with the choice high saturated colors, however this will give you quite some trouble with the contrast.

You are missing out a few fundamentals, so just lets start with the most basic one.

Values

Your values are very mixed. Normally anything that has a high value (very bright) catches the eye easily .

The first thing that you notice in the screenshots you provided is the pure white floor panels. They will keep a high contrast to basically anything else in the scene.

When trying to create an atmospheric perspective in a scene, you usually try to keep the values consistent, and increase the value of a central focal points. This is usually done by lowering the value around it, or increasing the value (by adding lights for an example) of that focal point.

Among mixing up values, when you have very low contrast in value, you loose the shape definition. That corner piece specifically is a dark spot in your scene at the moment, making it difficult to figure out the shape.

I read someplace that if you suck at paint-overs, don't do them. I guess I won't follow that advice.

Perhaps the paint over will describe what I mean better.

quick_painterover.jpg

1. Take one thing at a time. check your values, make sure that you let the viewers eyes where you want them to be.

2. Your lights decreases the overall contrast in your scene, this happens when you have to many lights or have very large light volumes that flood the entire area.

3. Consequently your shadows are gone, or very low in contrast.

There are several things you could do in your scene at the moment, by not getting to overwhelmed, try adjusting these things first, and then move on to the texture and scale.

Work on this scene, and you will get lots of xp from this! :)
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Oh, I just noticed you light a area with one single light source. You should start with having one light for each light source and then go one adjusting volumes, amount of lights and so on.
  • Sheers
    Alright, so this is what I've done. I tried to do contrast with the corner. I also changed the texture a bit for the roof and the floor. Also, does anyone know how I can get a shadow of the fence to be reflected onto the ground with all the holes?

Highres_Screenshot_00002_zps97ae5a7f.png